TX - RADIOACTIVE DEVICE MISSING: 'Do not handle'

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
If you happen to spot the missing tool, stay 25 feet away and call the cops

Somewhere in West Texas is a 7-inch radioactive cylinder that Halliburton would like to find. Anyone who comes across it is advised to keep their distance.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49045210/

Yikes! The missing device is pictured at the link. Praying some child doesn't find it! :notgood:

Attempting to edit so that the hazardous situation appears sooner in the title and also in forum index and it's not working. :banghead:

Hubby worked for a company that "lost" a radioactive tool off the back of a truck about twenty years ago ( result of a bad traffic accident on the interstate) unfortunately it WAS found by some kids. State Police found the kids playing with it a few hours later. Radioactive source was "confiscated" and kids were told to go on home....I know the source has a really short half-life, but no follow up was done with the kids. Gotta say that disturbs me.

I love and hate the oilfield; my whole existence has been subsidized by the exploration, drilling and production in the oilfield in Louisiana and the Gulf of Mexico. I also recognize the damage to our world....

If I saw something like that, I would just pick it up & toss it in the garbage. Are they not labelled as dangerous?

"Somewhere in west Texas..." that really pinpoints it, doesn't it? And, "It's not something that produces radiation in an extremely dangerous form" just don't come near with two and a half ten foot poles! Yeah, that sounds safe, thanks a lot Halliburton.

This particular company makes me yearn for good old government redundancies-- there was a good reason to do all that double checking. With private contractors, time equals really good money and a bundle of reasons to be hasty.

I hope they have to pay a hefty fine for being so negligent, as well as the tab for the National Guard.

:cool:

Never mind Liz found it. :floorlaugh:

Seriously I'd need to be standing next to the thing to see what it is, not 25 feet away unless it's flashing warning lights and screaming 'danger, danger'.

Oh great. I live in west texas.

At least you know not to get near it or pick it up! Spread the word to everyone you know! & Stay safe! :)

If I saw something like that, I would just pick it up & toss it in the garbage. Are they not labelled as dangerous?

LOL.....it is CLEARLY marked as dangerous.....however those words can only be read from about three or four feet away or perhaps less....kind of defeats the purpose of the warning label. At least someone should be able to immediately know not to move it or pick it up.

jmo

LOL.....it is CLEARLY marked as dangerous.....however those words can only be read from about three or four feet away or perhaps less....kind of defeats the purpose of the warning label. At least someone should be able to immediately know not to move it or pick it up.

jmo

Reminds me of the gravel trucks with signs you can't read until you are like 20 foot away. "Not responsible for broken windows, keep 300 feet away". Way too many trucks on the road, maybe one big word wrote on the back in 5 foot letters might help...GRAVEL!

If the thing is only 7 or 8 inches long, the warning written on it can't be very big, can it?

Thanx, Halliburton employee. Er, make that hopefully ex-Halliburton employee.

Hubby worked for a company that "lost" a radioactive tool off the back of a truck about twenty years ago ( result of a bad traffic accident on the interstate) unfortunately it WAS found by some kids. State Police found the kids playing with it a few hours later. Radioactive source was "confiscated" and kids were told to go on home....I know the source has a really short half-life, but no follow up was done with the kids. Gotta say that disturbs me.

I love and hate the oilfield; my whole existence has been subsidized by the exploration, drilling and production in the oilfield in Louisiana and the Gulf of Mexico. I also recognize the damage to our world....

o/t but something i (try to) laugh about today...about 20 years ago I lost a box of HUGE A$$ INDUSTRIAL TACKS off the back of my delivery van, in the middle of a busy intersection about 4pm on a friday of a long weekend....

:floorlaugh:

oh and lucky me LOTS of drivers found them...you wouldnt believe the number of vehicles pulled over with flat tires - some vehicles with more than 1 - up, down and all around the intersection. :blushing:

here's hoping for a happier ending with this lil' diddy.

:please:

September 19, 2012 | 2:54 PM

The crew believes it was lost in an area of about 130 square miles, somewhere between a well site in Pecos and the crew’s destination south of Odessa. The tool was in the back of their truck, and at some point they noticed that the truck’s lock wasn’t in place (it was in the back of the truck) and the rod was missing. They went back to Pecos to see if it had been left at the drilling site, but it wasn’t there.

Now they’re turning to the National Guard for help.

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/20...od-how-halliburton-lost-a-tiny-fracking-tool/

My Oh My , I just can't believe Halliburton is involved. :banghead:

Has anyone found it yet? My father-in-law works for them in Odessa. :(

Liz they found it!

Rod is the size of a pencil! That's tiny and any warning message on that thing would be useless unless you held it up to your face.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-rod-texas-missing_n_1948962.html?ir=Business

Holy frack that was close!

Public relations people and top-level executives at Halliburton, one of the world's largest oilfield services companies, are likely breathing a sigh of relief after the oilfield services company found a radioactive rod that it lost last month, the Guardian reports. The seven-inch rod of americium-241/beryllium was found alongside a Texas highway some miles away from where it was being used to locate oil and gas deposits eligible for fracking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back