Professor breast feeds in class.

legalmania

Verified Paralegal
Reaction score
Website
www.websleuths.com
An American University professor who was in a desperate situation because her 1 year old was sick and the mother couldn't find anyone to baby sit, did the logical thing in bringing the child to class. That wouldn't have been so weird except when the child became fussy and she had to feed her child, the students found out that the professor was still breast feeding her child, which made one student feel awkward. I sure hope there is no National Geographic magazines laying around, what will that student do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c3c79e-fcee-11e1-8adc-499661afe377_story.html

God forbid someone feel awkward! We couldnt have that! Better the sick baby go hungry than have one of these special snowflake college students feel AWKWARD, right?! :what:

It would have been awkward if she set up a peanut butter and jam sandwich and an apple for a six year old too-- most unusual circumstances are awkward.

But... the first day of class with these students? And she continued to lecture, rather than assign some reading, excuse herself, and at least turn her back for "privacy." She continued to command their attention, well, she's getting what she asked for.

Unfortunate-- sometimes it's just a matter of good judgement and manners. moo

It would have been awkward if she set up a peanut butter and jam sandwich and an apple for a six year old too-- most unusual circumstances are awkward.

But... the first day of class with these students? And she continued to lecture, rather than assign some reading, excuse herself, and at least turn her back for "privacy." She continued to command their attention, well, she's getting what she asked for.

Unfortunate-- sometimes it's just a matter of good judgement and manners. moo

These were adults not children. I don't think she lifted up her shirt and had the kid pick which one she chose to feed from. I believe she was probably exhausted from lack of sleep, and her judgement was off. I'm sure if she was bottle feeding it wouldn't have even been an issue. There are so many people in this country that have such an issue with breast feeding. I have seen women breast feeding in public and you can't see anything because they usually have a shawl or a really baggy shirt on. It's mostly people letting their minds wonder. She was comforting her sick infant child in the most loving way a mother can.

God forbid someone feel awkward! We couldnt have that! Better the sick baby go hungry than have one of these special snowflake college students feel AWKWARD, right?! :what:

I don't think that sick baby should have been in class to begin with.
I don't think it's good for the sick baby, especially considering she was using a bus to get that sick baby home.

I don't think that sick baby should have been in class to begin with.
I don't think it's good for the sick baby, especially considering she was using a bus to get that sick baby home.

Personally I wish no one would come to work or even go out when they are sick. I use to work way in the back of a pretty good size building and someone who was sick would always seem to work their way back to where I was sneezing and coughing all over everything. Times are hard and some people have to work as much as they can. It is actually healthier for mom and baby to breast feed.

http://www.nrdc.org/breastmilk/benefits.asp

Apparently breast feeding the baby was distracting or we wouldn't be hearing about it. Also if the baby was sick than it should not have been around everyone to spread the illness.
Moms all over the U.S. have to miss work because of their children. This lady should have called out. I don't think it is appropriate to be a sick baby or child to work.
And that is what breast pumps and bottles are for. Use them when breast feeding is not appropriate, like during class.

Sooo much easier said than done, at times, to just take a day off. Her first day? Yeah, that goes over well, to tell your bosses you cant make it in on your first day because your kid is sick. Maybe she couldn't get a sitter at late notice? maybe baby just had colic or cranky day?

Women are so hard on other women. I think the real problem here is all these college age folks who are so easily distracted and whose precious sensibilities are so easily upended by a nursing baby :what: . And tweeting about it during class? Tacky AND a bigger problem than the baby. Put your phones away, kids, mom and dad aren't paying those big bucks for you to be tweeting about how awkward you feel ( :cry: ) they are paying for you to listen and learn!

Sooo much easier said than done, at times, to just take a day off. Her first day? Yeah, that goes over well, to tell your bosses you cant make it in on your first day because your kid is sick. Maybe she couldn't get a sitter at late notice? maybe baby just had colic or cranky day?

Women are so hard on other women. I think the real problem here is all these college age folks who are so easily distracted and whose precious sensibilities are so easily upended by a nursing baby :what: . And tweeting about it during class? Tacky AND a bigger problem than the baby. Put your phones away, kids, mom and dad aren't paying those big bucks for you to be tweeting about how awkward you feel ( :cry: ) they are paying for you to listen and learn!

BBM. I so agree, Garden Lady. I always wonder, in these situations, how people would see it, if it had been a dad. Just the part about bringing the sick baby to work, as obviously, a breastfeeding man would create even more of a stir.

The biggest challenge of all, for women who do not have grandma nearby, is finding someone trusted and affordable who will take a sick child.

Our work culture is not the most family friendly, and it is working mothers who pay the price. Staying home is not always an option. There is guilt and fear leaving a sick child, and guilt and fear missing work. There is no shortage of people who will flame whatever choice you make.

My son is in college, and I have no doubt he would have felt awkward in that class, but I also have no doubt it would not occur to him that it would be anything to "write home" about. He would understand it is his issue and that just because he is uncomfortable, doesn't mean others need to adjust accordingly.

Time for some kids to grow up, I'd say.

BBM. I so agree, Garden Lady. I always wonder, in these situations, how people would see it, if it had been a dad. Just the part about bringing the sick baby to work, as obviously, a breastfeeding man would create even more of a stir.

The biggest challenge of all, for women who do not have grandma nearby, is finding someone trusted and affordable who will take a sick child.

Our work culture is not the most family friendly, and it is working mothers who pay the price. Staying home is not always an option. There is guilt and fear leaving a sick child, and guilt and fear missing work. There is no shortage of people who will flame whatever choice you make.

My son is in college, and I have no doubt he would have felt awkward in that class, but I also have no doubt it would not occur to him that it would be anything to "write home" about. He would understand it is his issue and that just because he is uncomfortable, doesn't mean others need to adjust accordingly.

Time for some kids to grow up, I'd say.
In what profession is it acceptable to bring baby to work place? Would it be o'key if your bus driver drove a bus with a baby in lap? How about employees of a fast food restaurant? High school teacher?
A police woman?

In what profession is it acceptable to bring baby to work place? Would it be o'key if your bus driver drove a bus with a baby in lap? How about employees of a fast food restaurant? High school teacher?
A police woman?

Just because employers in the US are harsh towards working parents (especially mothers) doesn't mean they SHOULD be. In fact, I think these stories would disappear if parents - and non parents as well, because family doesn't just mean kids - were given more flexible, humane working hours and time off like most other western countries.

I've had bus drivers who have brought their kids along. My mom used to bring me to work at times when she was a secretary. Obviously a kid can't go on a ride along with officer mom or dad, and there are other professions where this wouldnt be reasonable (but something like, say, an on-site daycare would be) but let's be reasonable here. This was a teacher. Last time I breast fed, I was still perfectly capable of communicating with people around me, as I'm sure this woman was.

So some college students got put out of their comfort zones for an hour or so. Big deal. Welcome to adult life! :violin:

I think breastfeeding is much more accepted here in the UK, I have breastfed openly in public and we have places to go where you can breastfeed privately when out shopping etc. When I lived in America, if I was at the mall I had to go to the public toilets or do it in the heat of the car, either way not very comfortable. There are some professions where its not acceptable to take your child along to work, but personally I think she did the right thing rather than letting anyone down.

What was the plan to feed the little one in daycare ? She was supposed to go that day, if I read correctly, but she was ill. So mom wasn't going to breast feed her if she was at the daycare center or the babysitter's or grandma's, while mom was teaching. I really think mom did this as a statement. Shock and awe , in a way. Plus, she said the little one had a fever. Why would you bring her to a class full of students where she could catch something worse ? BTW, I am all for breastfeeding. This one just sounds a bit hinky. The little one was 11 months old, she obviously eats other things besides breast milk . I would think differently about this entire scenario if mom didn't claim baby was sick.

What was the plan to feed the little one in daycare ? She was supposed to go that day, if I read correctly, but she was ill. So mom wasn't going to breast feed her if she was at the daycare center or the babysitter's or grandma's, while mom was teaching. I really think mom did this as a statement. Shock and awe , in a way. Plus, she said the little one had a fever. Why would you bring her to a class full of students where she could catch something worse ? BTW, I am all for breastfeeding. This one just sounds a bit hinky. The little one was 11 months old, she obviously eats other things besides breast milk . I would think differently about this entire scenario if mom didn't claim baby was sick.

It's only shock and awe in this country. The rest of the world wouldn't have a problem with it IMO.

I think this woman was totally out of place doing this while teaching a class. These students came to the class to get an education, not to watch this woman care for a sick baby. I was a teacher for thirty-one years. Never once did I take a sick child to class. I had four young ones when I started teaching. If they were sick, I either found someone to keep them or stayed home with them. I understand nursing a baby, because I nursed all four of them, but was very discreet in doing so. We were expected to be professional while in the classroom. We were not allowed to have a cell phone in the classroom because it would be distracting. We were not allowed to eat at our desks while teaching. There are many natural activities that are just not appropriate for a classroom. Many of them are good, but there is a time and place for all things. This is not an attack on breastfeeding. It is questioning a woman's determination of what is appropriate for a person who is being paid to do a job. I think she was out of place for even bringing a sick child and even more for not getting someone to fill in if she needed to care for that child.

It's only shock and awe in this country. The rest of the world wouldn't have a problem with it IMO.

Really? It's fine in the whole wide world expect US? Where did you get that idea?

I don't have a problem with it unless she did it to get attention which means that we have other issues involved.

So because some body function is "natural" means its appropriate to do in front of a class?

I just said that the rest of the world wouldn't have a problem with it. Quote where I said it was appropiate and why are you trying to rewrite what I post?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back