Identified! OR - Linn Co, Hwy 22 MM79, WhtMale 25-45, UP7309, poss from FL, LA, TX, or OK, clothes, Oct'06 - Jesus Ruiz

kpdx

RIP Precious Lisa Roberts
Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/cases/7309

Case Report - NamUs UP # 7309
Case Information
Status Unidentified
Case number 06-19012
Date found October 23, 2006 00:00
Local Contact (ME/C or Other Agency) Linn Cnty Med Examiners Ofc

Demographics
Estimated Age 25-45 years
Race White
Sex Male
Height (inches) 68, Estimated

Body conditions: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probable year of death 2004 to 2006
Estimated postmortem interval 1 Years

Circumstances
Location Found
Address 1 Wooded area near milepost 79 on Highway 22

Circumstances of death
skeletal remains found by hunters

Medical
Other medical
information 6th lumbar vertebra w/ spondylolysis

Clothing on body
Clothing with body gray "Sideout" brand t-shirt (see attached sketch), black Dungarees denim pants
Footwear "K-Air" shoes measuring 12 7/8" in length

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Right 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Upper Left
A N N N P N P N N N N P N N N N
Lower Right A N N A N N N N N N N P A N N A Lower Left
32 31 30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17

I think this is: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/morningsun_seth.html

Seth Morningsun. Timeline close, distance ok (especially in August, backroads/forest service roads ewould have shortened trip) and demographics are close.

The clincher for me is the UID's Spondylolysis Spondylolysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (had to look it up)

Based on some additional information I found on Seth, he was a nationally ranked competitive runner in HS which could have accounted for the "overtrain" stress fracture.

Although Seth does not have a NAMUS page, visual comparison of his teeth against UID suggest potential match.

What do you think?

Side note and off subject, I noticed in a recent post from Kimster (yay Kimster!) that the etiquette/TOS for submitting to LE have changed a bit since the days of Christine. I went to check out the thread, but it still has Christine's guidelines...Anyone have a link to the new ones?

I did? :lol: CarlK, help me out here! I don't remember! :doh:

BTW, contacting Linn County is not anything to worry about. They are a wonderful group and appreciate any help from the public. :heart:

He was last seen four days before the UID was found and Namus says the est. time of death was a year ago and the remains were a complete or a near complete skeleton. Do bodies skeletonize in a matter of days Oregon in October?

The last sighting could be wrong and he looks close imo.

He was last seen four days before the UID was found and Namus says the est. time of death was a year ago and the remains were a complete or a near complete skeleton. Do bodies skeletonize in a matter of days Oregon in October?

The last sighting could be wrong and he looks close imo.

The timing is a little funny, because the press release the LE sent out said Oct. 19th, but then elsewhere says LKA from family was August and they reported him missing on Oct. 19th.

One possible downer is that, from doing some more research, it appears Seth's dad is a dentist which doesn't jive with LE report UID had little to no dental work....However Namus indicates natural teeth and no notation of attrition or antemoretem loss...so also find this confusing.

Regardless, I definitely think Seth needs to be in NAMUS. CarlK, do we have a protocol with that?

Kimster, I saw you mention something in another thread about TOS and not mentioning being a WS member when contacting LE...which was a surprise to me, because I recall that being a recommended approach several years ago... of course, I could be imagining things too

The dental chart I'm seeing has five A's for antemortem loss.

The timing is a little funny, because the press release the LE sent out said Oct. 19th, but then elsewhere says LKA from family was August and they reported him missing on Oct. 19th.

One possible downer is that, from doing some more research, it appears Seth's dad is a dentist which doesn't jive with LE report UID had little to no dental work....However Namus indicates natural teeth and no notation of attrition or antemoretem loss...so also find this confusing.

Regardless, I definitely think Seth needs to be in NAMUS. CarlK, do we have a protocol with that?

Kimster, I saw you mention something in another thread about TOS and not mentioning being a WS member when contacting LE...which was a surprise to me, because I recall that being a recommended approach several years ago... of course, I could be imagining things too

Yeah, that's been the rule in high profile cases (not announcing you are a member on Websleuths) but I think that is not as much of a problem anymore. LE is finding out that we are on their side and we can actually be useful. Thank goodness!

I lived near there during that time frame, and there were a lot of people living on the fire roads around there... This person may not have been from that area at all but a granola kind of person moving through or staying for a bit in the make shift communities, or a tourist.

Ruleouts on Namus as of 13 May 2014:

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
STEVEN FRICK 1965 Oregon
Russell Gonzales 1964 Oregon
John Sallee 1963 Oregon
Jerry Smith 1951 Oregon

Re: the clothing

Sideout makes California casual clothes, the kind you'd wear to a beach party. With the black jeans and sneakers, it's the kind of outfit popular with skateboard/snowboard types, or people who like that style.

There's a discrepancy in the clothing description. Doenet mentions nylon athletic pants (worn over the jeans, I wonder?) but Namus doesn't include them.

Here's an old 2012 article that discusses this John Doe, known to LE as "Big Springs Doe".

http://democratherald.com/news/loca...cle_d0bc4e44-20b8-11e2-b47f-001a4bcf887a.html

(Note: the 2002 UID hiker mentioned in the sidebar titled "Still Looking for Clues" has been identified since the article was written)

508cb7afc7b76.preview-620.jpg

But three cases have proven especially perplexing to investigators, because they haven’t identified the victims.

“If you don’t know who they are, then you don’t know where to start,” Harmon said.

That’s the case with “Big Springs Doe,” whose body was found by a hunter in a shallow grave on Oct. 23, 2006 near Big Springs Snow Park, in east Linn County off Highway 22.

Because the man’s body was decomposed, police don’t have a good description of him. “Big Springs Doe” was white, between 5-foot-8 and 6-foot-1, and between 25-45 years old.

Getting an identity is crucial in a murder case, because the culprit is generally someone the victim knows. Very rarely is a homicide committed by a complete stranger to the victim, Harmon said.

A bunch of new ruleouts since last update. Seth Morningstar isn't one of them, but his profile seems to have been removed from Charley and there's a guy with the same name about the right age on LinkedIn and a couple of other sites, so I think he may have been found.

Exclusions
The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Douglas Defoe 1963 Oregon
Mark Dribin 1957 Oregon
Kevin Elkins 1961 Oregon
STEVEN FRICK 1965 Oregon
David Killitz 1967 Oregon
Gary Larsen 1973 Oregon
Gordon Lopez 1964 Oregon
Kevin Nordquist 1967 Oregon
John Sallee 1963 Oregon
Scott Sells 1984 Oregon
Jerry Smith 1951 Oregon
Thomas Sperb 1965 Oregon
Farren Stanberry 1961 Oregon
Roy Stephens 1957 Oregon
Mitchell Young 1977 Oregon

The Doe is described as having size 11 or 12 shoes, yet his estimated height is only 5 foot 7 to 5 foot 9. Those are huge feet for a man that short. I am six feet tall, and wear size 10½ shoes. It is possible that he was wearing oversized shoes, but I am a little suspicious of the accuracy of that height estimate.

When I was growing up, there was a saying for guys like that: "Too bad he grew so far along the ground before he turned up."

That said, I am suspicious of all height estimates these days...

This guy, Timothy Bradshaw, seemed to catch my attention as a possible for Big Springs Doe. I asked a friend of mine who knows Det. Harmon (the detective in charge of this case) to run Timothy by him as a possible match.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/25667/0

He has been ruled out by DNA and dental as Mark Dribin, but he looked from the sketch like a good match for the eyes and nose, right age range and height, and proximity to Portland.

http://democratherald.com/news/lcso...cle_d22773f3-49be-54ca-b77b-512dd14e8dde.html

An unidentified homicide victim found by a hunter in October 2006 near the Big Spring Snow Park in far eastern Linn County probably lived for a brief time in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana or Florida, according to new information acquired by the Linn County Sheriff’s Office.

Harmon said the isotope information led researchers to pinpoint the victim’s locations for the two months leading up to his death. The DNA sample helps researchers determine personal traits. Harmon said it appears the man moved between cool and warm climates several times in the two months leading up to his death, leading to speculation that he may have been a transient or someone with a warrant out for them.

Ruleouts as of 1 January 2018 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7309

Douglas Defoe 1963 Oregon
Mark Dribin 1957 Oregon
Kevin Elkins 1961 Oregon
STEVEN FRICK 1965 Oregon
David Killitz 1967 Oregon
Gary Larsen 1973 Oregon
Gordon Lopez 1964 Oregon
Robin Mangrum 1971 Texas
James Monti 1977 Oregon
Kevin Nordquist 1967 Oregon
Juan Rodriguez 1973 Oregon
John Sallee 1963 Oregon
Scott Sells 1984 Oregon
Jerry Smith 1951 Oregon
Thomas Sperb 1965 Oregon
Farren Stanberry 1961 Oregon
Roy Stephens 1957 Oregon
Tyrom Theis 1973 Oregon
Mitchell Young 1977 Oregon

Lost and found: New technology gives a face to unidentified remains

cache.php

cache.php

Detectives used DNA to create a computer generated image of the victim’s face. Forensic analysis helped identify his clothing. And testing of the victim’s hair revealed he lived in Texas or Florida roughly two months before his death.
Still, the man has not been identified.
“Someone has got to be looking for him. Someone is missing him,” said Dr. Nici Vance, forensic anthropologist for the Oregon State Police Medical Examiner Division.
On October 23, 2006, a Linn County sheriff's deputy responded to a report of human remains found near the Big Springs Snow Park, located roughly halfway between Salem and Bend on Highway 22.
Detectives figured the man had been dead for roughly a year, maybe longer. He’d been murdered, said police. But investigators won’t reveal how he was killed.
“Definitely, this was a dump site. Someone dumped him here,” said Detective Captain Paul Timm of the Linn County Sheriff’s office.
Based on the remains, investigators were able to come up with a basic profile. The victim was a white man between 25 and 45 years old. He stood roughly 5-foot-11.
Investigators also found remnants of the man’s clothing, dirty, brown strips of cloth. Closer examination revealed the man wore black Dungarees brand denim pants, along with a second pair of blue nylon athletic pants with black trim.

http://www.kgw.com/article/news/inv...-a-face-to-unidentified-remains/283-513607993

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back