1273 users online (247 members and 1026 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CO - Charlie Dowd, 69, Denver, 16 Sep 2012

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...m-amtrak-train

California man reported missing from Amtrak train

The Associated PressAssociated Press
    Posted: 09/16/2012 03:50:52 PM PDT
    September 16, 2012 10:52 PM GMTUpdated: 09/16/2012 03:50:52 PM PDT

OMAHA, Neb.—Family members and Amtrak officials are looking for a retired California man who disappeared from a train somewhere between Denver and Chicago.
    Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said Sunday that the railroad is searching for 69-year-old Charlie Dowd.
    Dowd, who lives in San Mateo, Calif., boarded the Amtrak train on Wednesday in the San Francisco area. Dowd's son talked to him by cellphone on Thursday evening when the train was in the Denver area. That was the last time family members talked to Dowd.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 09-19-2012 at 09:09 AM.

I read in another article that conductors thought he seemed conused, thought he was in an apartment and couldn't find the exit. Wonder if he had a stroke?

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

CA - Charlie Dowd, 69, on a train bound for Montreal, 15 Sept 2012

Charlie Dowd, 69, left the Bay Area on Wednesday. He last spoke to his son by cell phone Thursday night, saying he was just outside of Denver, Colorado, his family said.
    When Dowd’s train arrived in Chicago on Friday, he was not on it. His luggage, cell phone, and wallet were found in his sleeping car, the family said on a Facebook page they set up to find him.
    His daughter said Dowd is under a doctor’s care and may need medical attention.
    “He has medical needs and does need his medication for high blood pressure and heart disease,” Jennifer Dowd told CNN affiliate KGO. “He is diabetic, but for medical reasons we obviously want him. We need to know where he is.”
    http://kdvr.com/2012/09/17/missing-r...-denver-train/

Family members and Amtrak officials are looking for a retired California man who disappeared from a train somewhere between Denver and Chicago.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said Sunday that the railroad is searching for Charlie Dowd, 69, of San Mateo Calif.

Dowd boarded the Amtrak train on Wednesday, Sept. 12 in the San Francisco area.

Dowd's son, who was the last to hear from him, talked to his dad by cellphone on Thursday evening when the train was in the Denver area.

Dowd is believed to have possibly disembarked in Omaha Friday morning after becoming disoriented, believing he was in an apartment instead of on a train.
    http://www.nebraska.tv/story/1956171...be-in-nebraska

I read in one of the articles that his doctor okayed the trip! His family was anxious.

As per FB - a request for people to be at Omaha Amtrak station today at 3pm to help search for Charlie.

https://www.facebook.com/MissingPersonCharlieDowd
    Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.[/CENTER]

From reading the articles I get the impression that AMTRAK isn't too helpful. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by southsleuth View Post
    From reading the articles I get the impression that AMTRAK isn't too helpful. I hope I'm wrong.
    One article states they're working with local LE at the towns where stops were made - Ft. Morgan, CO and McCook, Holdrege, Hastings, Lincoln and Omaha, NE. They're also working with BNSF, whose tracks Amtrack operates over in that area.

Railroads have special agents who work with LE and they're probably checking each town along the way. Might also help to notify all rail crews and maintenance of way crews along the line to keep an eye out for Mr. Dowd.

I sure hope they find him soon, it can get pretty cool at night out there. Hopefully he's in Lincoln or Omaha, possibly in a shelter, etc.

On edit: They're also organizing a search in Lincoln, NE tomorrow, 9/18, check the Facebook link for details.

A note at his family's facebook page states his wallet was not found with his medication and other personal items on the train. It's possible he took the wallet with him, intending to get a snack or something, then missed the train.

Perhaps they should check the bus lines, etc. to see if he arranged to travel on another way. Just hoping.

Hope the have checked all the hospitals along the way.

I was just coming on to see if this had been posted yet. I'm in Lincoln and work not too far from the train depot. Keeping my eyes out and sharing with friends. I'm not sure I'll be able to get off work tomorrow to go help them at the train station but am working on it...

Wasn't there another case very similar to this in the last year or so? An older man went missing from a train? I can't remember the details.

I hope they find Charlie safe, and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lstrel View Post
    Wasn't there another case very similar to this in the last year or so? An older man went missing from a train? I can't remember the details.

I hope they find Charlie safe, and soon.
    Yes there was and I can't remember his name.

Duh. One of them is Robin Putnam. He's on this board.

Last edited by KateB; 04-26-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

hadn't seen this stated before...

Retired San Francisco firefighter missing from Amtrak train
    2 hours ago

snipped...A retired San Francisco firefighter was reported missing after he disappeared from an Amtrak train headed to Chicago.

Read more: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...rak-train?lite

Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.[/CENTER]

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast