Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    What the heck with the Amtrak disappearances?!

I am guessing there are surveillance cameras watching the entrances and exits of the trains so hopefully LE has a team on that. A bit time-consuming but usually very helpful. Praying Mr. Dowd is found soon and safe!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shefner View Post
    What the heck with the Amtrak disappearances?!

I am guessing there are surveillance cameras watching the entrances and exits of the trains so hopefully LE has a team on that. A bit time-consuming but usually very helpful. Praying Mr. Dowd is found soon and safe!
    It seem that AMTRAK has a secret hole or something. Guess I've been watching way too much Twilight Zone.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to southsleuth For This Useful Post:

The latest update I saw on Facebook stated that there was a sighting within a mile from our house. I'm going home to feed the kids and then we are going for a walk...

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MommyStephV For This Useful Post:

I saw this story on CNN. They say he last talked to the conductor near Omaha. So shouldn't they be focusing their searches on areas to the east of that city? There's only one state, Iowa, between Omaha and Chicago, and Omaha is right on the border of Nebraska and Iowa. I think they should focus there, instead of searching all of Nebraska.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shlock Homes For This Useful Post:

There was a supposed sighting of him here in Lincoln. About a mile from my house. We are eating dinner and then going to search the park by our house. I know the family is currently in Lincoln trying to organize searches.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MommyStephV For This Useful Post:

I wonder if this gentleman is disoriented due to a cognitive impairment, such as dementia, or is he disoriented due to possibly not taking medications?

Also, would he be disoriented just for short periods of time, and then regain his orientation? Or did it seem to last for long periods with just short periods of clear-headedness?

Poor man, he is probably very scared and confused. Thank God he has a family who is getting the word out. And I hope they put him on every FB page they can, and ask their friends and family to do the same. That exposure grows exponentially, so there will be an increasing number of people becoming aware and, hopefully, involved in locating Mr. Dowd.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

Haven't traveled by train in many, many years. Are there not security cameras in train stations?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to marycarney For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by marycarney View Post
    Haven't traveled by train in many, many years. Are there not security cameras in train stations?
    There have definitely been cameras at the few trains stations I have been in during the past five years or so. And I imagine there are security cameras in the trains themselves, although I don't know that for sure.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

I just went out and drove around. I saw a car with out of state plates driving really slow and then saw a lady get out and walk up to someone. I figured it had to be family so I followed them as they drove a bit farther ahead and stopped one of the ladies. Turns out it was his son, daughter, and another very kind lady. I shared this website with her and took some posters. I had a 3 year old little girl who needed to potty so we came home and I'm heading back out to post fliers. And PS...my hubby thinks I'm nuts!

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1894614.html

Amtrak passenger missing

Monday, September 17, 2012

McCook Daily Gazette
    OMAHA, Nebraska -- The Amtrak Police Department is investigating a missing passenger who disappeared somewhere between Denver, Colorado, and Chicago, Illinois, over the weekend. The man, 69-year-old Charlie Dowd of San Mateo, California, was aboard an Amtrak train bound for Montreal that made several overnight stops along the way, including McCook, Holdrege, Hastings, Lincoln and Omaha.
    According to an AP report, Dowd's son spoke with him via cellphone on Thursday evening when the train was in the Denver area, the last time family members talked with him. Dowd's luggage, cellphone and medication arrived in Chicago without him on Friday. Family members have said they are worried he may become disoriented without his medication.Dowd is a retired firefighter who is 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 175 pounds.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to raine1212 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MommyStephV View Post
    I just went out and drove around. I saw a car with out of state plates driving really slow and then saw a lady get out and walk up to someone. I figured it had to be family so I followed them as they drove a bit farther ahead and stopped one of the ladies. Turns out it was his son, daughter, and another very kind lady. I shared this website with her and took some posters. I had a 3 year old little girl who needed to potty so we came home and I'm heading back out to post fliers. And PS...my hubby thinks I'm nuts!
    Good for you! I'm glad you had a chance to talk to them. Were they able to tell you any info that we don't already know?

And don't feel bad about the hubby - my boyfriend of many years thinks I nuts, too. But here on WS, we can all be nuts together

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Betty P;8369044]n, it can get pretty cool at night out there. Hopefully he's in Lincoln or Omaha, possibly in a shelter, etc.
    [/B]

BBM and SBM

This is my hope, too. I think a shelter or the YMCA might be places to check, although I believe the Y requires ID. In some areas there are homeless camps, and he may have found a place to sleep in one of those areas.

Also, I hope LE is aware of Mr. Dowd and his disorientation. Could he have been picked up under suspicion of being intoxicated or high, and booked as a John Doe? Or could he have been taken to a hospital where he is listed as a John Doe.

I imagine LE has already checked out all these places.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

Nothing that hasn't been reported or on the missing Facebook page. It is supposed to get into the lower 40's tonught, but she did say they believe he has a fleece jacket, as it wasnt with his belongings on the train. At this point they are just so extremely concerned that he desn't have his medication.

My heart just aches for them. They are holding a "press conference" tomorrow at 3. I'm hoping to be able to take off work, however I'm not sure its going to be possible. I have probably 20 posters she gave me. I have given some to my husband to take to work and I'll take the rest to work myself.

Praying Charlie is somewhere warm and safe tonight!

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MommyStephV For This Useful Post:

I work for a state agency...I will do some checking tomorrow...

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MommyStephV For This Useful Post:

Any news on the poor fellow?

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to southsleuth For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast