Websleuths mentioned in the news!

Madeleine ​McCann to Jeffery ​Boucher: Web sleuths quest for the missing

As a member of Websleuths.com, a forum that boasts up to 5,000 daily users, she posts her clues and theories about missing people and unsolved murders from across the world.

She got hooked the way many do — searching online for information about a missing person and, by chance, clicking into the world of stay-at-home sleuths who compile everything they can about mysterious crimes. Since joining in 2009, Mowat has spent at least an hour or two a day on her hobby, having made more than 6,000 posts to the website.

"This feels like a job. Obviously it doesn’t pay or anything like that," says Mowat, who freelances occasionally but no longer works full time. "I've worked in all kinds of jobs, and web sleuthing gives me an opportunity to use some of the skills from things I’ve done, and be useful."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/madele...r-web-sleuths-quest-for-the-missing-1.2516726

And…. Ivy made it home, safely… she is one of the lucky ones (seems she knows that though) :) Awesome story all around!

Will the Internet Find Maura Murray?
Ten years ago, a 21-year-old UMass student vanished without a trace. For an army of amateur sleuths across the Internet, that was just the beginning.
By Bill Jensen | Boston Magazine | February 2014

Snipped and BBM:

In February 2005, members of the DIY detective message board websleuths.com jumped into the fray. Anonymous posters with names like Grassyknoll2 and CyberLaw attempted to piece together a time line, wondering why Maura would have partied on Saturday night, or what made her so upset at work.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/01/28/maura-murray/

I feel like we should be handing out autographs, we've finally made it!

Madeleine ​McCann to Jeffery ​Boucher: Web sleuths quest for the missing

As a member of Websleuths.com, a forum that boasts up to 5,000 daily users, she posts her clues and theories about missing people and unsolved murders from across the world.

She got hooked the way many do — searching online for information about a missing person and, by chance, clicking into the world of stay-at-home sleuths who compile everything they can about mysterious crimes. Since joining in 2009, Mowat has spent at least an hour or two a day on her hobby, having made more than 6,000 posts to the website.

"This feels like a job. Obviously it doesn’t pay or anything like that," says Mowat, who freelances occasionally but no longer works full time. "I've worked in all kinds of jobs, and web sleuthing gives me an opportunity to use some of the skills from things I’ve done, and be useful."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/madele...r-web-sleuths-quest-for-the-missing-1.2516726

Wow, I am impressed by the depth of this CBC article, and I can't believe I didn't see it while reading my daily fix on it, lol. :drumroll:

Hi,

In the last week, I have seen this website directly and indirectly referenced in two different shows. I just wanted to say congrats to the amateur detectives for their work and for the administration for keeping this forum going.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Mike

The internet’s search to find Gabby Petito may be a true crime tipping point

Yet in the years since web sleuthing first began — arguably around the time the Websleuths forum was created in 1999 — this same brand of amateur sleuthing has played a major role in solving, or helping to solve, numerous crimes and missing persons cases. Among these sleuths are trained forensic artists who have assisted police in successfully identifying John and Jane Does around the globe. In recent years, “crowdsolving” has been floated by some investigators as a positive collective resource.

Here's another one to add to the list. Not exactly in the news but ...

I’ve been following the TX - James Faith thread. Jennifer Faith and her boyfriend have both been charged with murder. She sent him a text:

“Did you read through any of that stupid “Websleuths” thread I sent you”.

LE said in the Criminal Complaint:

“Your Affiant knows that 'Websleuths' is an internet community that focuses on unsolved crimes and missing persons. Registered users discuss information related to the cases and they try to solve them. The thread Jennifer Faith is referencing in the text is a forum that specifically posts about James Faith’s murder."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back