1169 users online (201 members and 968 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Health roundup: Arsenic in rice raises concerns

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ion/57806122/1

Arsenic in rice: Consumer Reports is calling on the Food and Drug Administration to set standards for how much arsenic can be allowed in rice after finding the potential toxin in almost every rice product it tested.

And other health concerns........

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ion/57806122/1

Arsenic in rice: Consumer Reports is calling on the Food and Drug Administration to set standards for how much arsenic can be allowed in rice after finding the potential toxin in almost every rice product it tested.

And other health concerns........
    HELLO??? Why is there ANY arsenic in my rice???? Is this what our Food and drug guys get paid for??? Maybe I have the wrong room or the wrong initials, or the wrong bureau, but obviously someone is getting paid to watch over poison in our food - and the buggers are using OUR/YOURS/MINE tax dollars to do it.

AGAIN, why is there ANY arsenic in our rice, or anything else? Maybe some of them over seers should get booted out on their keisters.

OuR FDA is toothless. We need it to be a watchdog, but all it is is a lapdog for agri-business.

Rice is a staple in our house,
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    HELLO??? Why is there ANY arsenic in my rice???? Is this what our Food and drug guys get paid for??? Maybe I have the wrong room or the wrong initials, or the wrong bureau, but obviously someone is getting paid to watch over poison in our food - and the buggers are using OUR/YOURS/MINE tax dollars to do it.

AGAIN, why is there ANY arsenic in our rice, or anything else? Maybe some of them over seers should get booted out on their keisters.
    Apparently, from reports yesterday, the levels of arsenic found in rice this week are '40 times' that which occurs naturally in rice. The report went on to say that many or most of our foods contain minimal levels of arsenic which occur naturally...in them. Who knew...

In May, my husband and I began a "healthy eating plan". We have each lost over 30 pounds by cutting out wheat and most sugars and fried foods. We eat fresh fruits and veggies and grilled meats. We can have oats and RICE. So since May, we have been eating rice four or five times per week! Just our luck!
    Reports yesterday also said to cut back to once a week or so for single rice servings and consumers should be ok. More than that amount risk higher levels of arsenic which can cause cancer...so they say.
    "Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."~ Plato
    ~The above reflects only my opinion...

I'm so confused about food now. One day this is not good, the next week it is, a year later it still isn't.

Our local news did a bit on this. Said the arsenic is in the water the rice is grown in. The only arsenic levels usually checked for are our drinking water, not food supply and foods grown in water. They also said this new evidence is not conclusive of causing caner and pointed out that many people in Asian countries eat it daily and it is not a problem there. Be sure to rinse your rice thoroughly before cooking.

So, is rice safe or not safe? I eat it everyday!

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Darn...I use InnovAsian Sticky White Rice a lot. Love homemade Chinese food with sticky white rice!

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

the FDA won't do anything about this. They aren't for our best interests. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    I'm so confused about food now. One day this is not good, the next week it is, a year later it still isn't.

Our local news did a bit on this. Said the arsenic is in the water the rice is grown in. The only arsenic levels usually checked for are our drinking water, not food supply and foods grown in water. They also said this new evidence is not conclusive of causing caner and pointed out that many people in Asian countries eat it daily and it is not a problem there. Be sure to rinse your rice thoroughly before cooking.

So, is rice safe or not safe? I eat it everyday!
    you get so many ppb in rice, so many ppb in apples, so many ppb in everything else you eat, they are ignoring the fact that it all adds up!

Quote Originally Posted by angelwngs View Post
    Apparently, from reports yesterday, the levels of arsenic found in rice this week are '40 times' that which occurs naturally in rice. The report went on to say that many or most of our foods contain minimal levels of arsenic which occur naturally...in them. Who knew...

In May, my husband and I began a "healthy eating plan". We have each lost over 30 pounds by cutting out wheat and most sugars and fried foods. We eat fresh fruits and veggies and grilled meats. We can have oats and RICE. So since May, we have been eating rice four or five times per week! Just our luck!
    Reports yesterday also said to cut back to once a week or so for single rice servings and consumers should be ok. More than that amount risk higher levels of arsenic which can cause cancer...so they say.
    BBM,Once a week for rice becuse of arsenic? C'mon. Why are we being subjected to arsenic above natural levels at all? Answer me that!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiogirl View Post
    the FDA won't do anything about this. They aren't for our best interests. jmo
    For our best interests? WE are paying their SALARIES. Maybe it's time WE took hold, started asking questions, and DEMAMDING our best interests be served. What in 'ell are we paying these people for - to poison us?

Just wondering!

The money comes to FDA and USDA from agribusiness, they don't care about the taxpayer.

This is why we need a purge of both those depts, restrictions on corporate money and lobbying, and some regulations with TEETH.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Lawmakers seek limits on arsenic in rice

http://news.yahoo.com/lawmakers-seek...04.html?_esi=1

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Three lawmakers are introducing a bill on Friday to limit the amount of arsenic allowed in rice and rice-based products, a legislator said..............more at link.....

I can't believe we need special legislation for this. You'd think the appropriate agency would already have something in place??!!

How is it only in the last few years our food supply is screwed with? How many times have we heard "Twenty dead from salmonella on lettuce"?

Then we have the GMO's. The corn supply is screwed, and the soy as well. Sooo what are ya gonna eat? Rice of course. Let's say your a macrobiotic? Healthy, healthy, but wait you're having arsenic with that healthy.

JMO, but there's people getting paid off. There's people developing all kinds of franken this and that, and somebody has to be getting a payoff, right?

Meanwhile they're taking your right away to sip on a flippin Big Gulp which at this point is probably safer than all the other c*polla out there. Maybe my mom is right with her staple meals of Resse's Pieces, Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi and some Pringles thrown to the side. Hey, at least ya know you're being poisened without having to guess.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...food/index.htm

Arsenic in your food
    Our findings show a real need for federal standards for this toxin

Consumer Reports magazine: November 2012

Here is the actual Consumer Reports article. It appears to be a very thorough article and study. Well worth the time to read it and educate ourselves, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast