Widow Finds Out Late Husband Was Also Her Father

momtective

Lifetime WS Non-Mod
Reaction score
The next time you think you’re having a bad day, image how Valerie Spruill felt when she discovered that her husband and her father are the same person.

The man in question, Percy Spruill, died in April 1998 at the age of 60. Born in Mississippi, he worked in Akron as a truck driver and, later, as a parking-lot attendant at Morley Health Center.

He and Valerie’s mother hooked up when he was only 15.

We’re not sure how many offspring Percy Spruill helped produce, but at one point, apparently, he figured that one of them would be a suitable spouse.

Although Valerie says she is not 100 percent certain he knew, because he never talked about it, she strongly believes he was aware of the taboo he had committed but was simply afraid to tell her.

http://www.ohio.com/news/dyer/bob-d...out-late-husband-was-also-her-father-1.332813

Spruill found out at age nine that the man she thought was her father was actually her grandfather, and a woman who she knew as a friend of the family was actually her mother.

But that was nothing compared to what the now-retired 60-year-old grandmother found out from a DNA test – the man she was married to for several decades was, in fact, her father.

http://fox4kc.com/2012/09/19/widow-finds-out-late-husband-was-also-her-father/

This is the kind of thing that could actually become more common as women donate eggs to infertile couples, men donate sperm, that kind of thing. Still, how this guy managed to keep that one a secret for sixty years is beyond me.

I heard about this on the radio this morning and I came straight here, knowing it would be here. :)

How did SHE not know he was her father?? I don't get it.

So did her grandfather ever meet her husband? Was the uncle that knew, her husbands brother or her grandfathers brother?

If it helps her heal, I am all for her sharing her story. I'm sure it's not an easy story to tell or live with....

Can you imagine half the town knowing and not saying a word to you about it in all those years? I can't even begin to imagine how she must feel!

Maybe it wasn't unusual in that town? It's all so strange. Her father was her grandfather, the family friend was her mother, her husband was her father . . . sounds like one of those riddles.

Maybe it wasn't unusual in that town? It's all so strange. Her father was her grandfather, the family friend was her mother, her husband was her father . . . sounds like one of those riddles.
Nope, it's incest plain and simple in this case, although I did have a friend in college whose older parents raised her and it turns out they were her grandparents, and her "sister" was really her unwed mother and her "brother" was really her uncle...

I cannot wrap my head around this at all. Are they related to Honey boo in anyway? J'king

Did she have any children with her husband/father? I really hope not!

I cannot wrap my head around this at all. Are they related to Honey boo in anyway? J'king
I was watching Jay Leno last night, and a Republican Congressman from Florida was on discussing Romney's recent remarks on video. He compared it to taking fashion advice from Honey Boo Boo!!! :floorlaugh: I had to explain it to hubby.

Did she have any children with her husband/father? I really hope not!

The article I read said she did, two kids I think. I'll look. How could her family not tell her? Completely insane.

Found it: "Spruill explained she had no idea her husband, Perry Spruill, was also her dad until he died in 1998 and a relative came to her with the truth, which she confirmed through a DNA test. Dyer said Spruill also has three kids, meaning their father is also their grandfather."

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/local_...-unknowingly-married-her-father-perry-spruill

Oh I just cannot comprehend this. Too much to understand. Makes me think about a song my mother used to sing. Some of you may have heard it. It is hilarious...apparently been around a long time and the title is "I'm My Own Grandpa".

I'll look and see if I can get a link to it and post it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw"]I'm My Own Grandpa- Ray Stevens ( with family tree diagram) - YouTube[/ame]

Here it is...I'm My Own Grandpa. Hope I did the link right.

I wish we had more info like, did the father/ husband know?

Why didn't anyone tell her?

I wonder what her children think of all this?

Gives me the chills.

How does this even happen??????????????
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

That is just appalling if people in the community KNEW and waited until NOW to tell this poor woman.

As for children, I am no geneticist (I know, shocker!) but I do think that genetic anomalies are rare even in cases of close incest. It is very possible that their children are not challenged in any way other than emotionally, after finding out this news!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back