Tiger mauls US man who leapt into Bronx Zoo enclosure

I feel worse for the tiger, some strange dude in his exhibit... and I hope the tiger lives. That would be a real shame if they hurt an animal for a person's dumb idea.

He was trying for a Darwin award, but it's only awarded posthumously. Better luck next time, fella. Sheesh!

Lest anyone misunderstand and think me hard-hearted, this post was made tongue-in-cheek.

He may actually have a serious mental problem that would allow him to do something like this.

As fond of felines as I am...and as much as I want to go snuggle up to a tiger or lion and feel their purr, or get a wash by their tongue, I know I'd best stay on *this* side of the fence.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say this man suffers from mental illness, or was high on something. I'm glad he's all right (so far) and didn't lose his leg, and that the zoo officials were right on top of it and used less than lethal means to get the tiger off of the man...but I'm hoping that the zoo does NOT put the tiger down. No reason to do that, I don't think...this was a provocation that any animal would have reacted to.

Best-
Herding Cats

I am not a fan of zoos anyway ... So yes, I'm also glad they didn't hurt the tiger for doing tiger-y things to the intruder.

Contrast this response to the recent story/thread about the bear in the wild that was killed because he attacked a man getting close to him for photos. In both cases, we have a human intruding into the home of a wild animal. One lives, the other killed. I'm still sad for that bear. :(

I hope the man makes a full recovery, and they are able to learn why he did this, and how to keep it from happening again.

Thank goodness they have no intention of euthanizing the tiger. It was just being a tiger.

All I can say is what an idiot!

They are not going to euthanize a tiger. It's a wild animal. It is expected that a tiger will attack a human if human gets close to it.

He "wanted to become one with the tiger"....half wit...obviously not all there mentally - or, he's looking to be diagnosed as nuts for some reason.

He "wanted to become one with the tiger"....half wit...obviously not all there mentally - or, he's looking to be diagnosed as nuts for some reason.

I watched a TV program on people who keep exotic pets (including somebody in New York City who kept a grown tiger in his apartment). They usually come to light (or at least show up on TV) when their pets maim or kill them.

I think it is a form of mental illness in which the sick person "over-identifies" with the wild animal.

Well, I suppose getting eaten by a tiger is a way to "become one" with it. :waitasec:

Well, you are what you eat - sorry, couldn't help myself.

:giggle:

We had an odd guy in town here who used to parade around shirtless with a big (10-15 ft maybe?) fat white snake around his shoulders and neck. Every time he'd pass a car or person he'd sort of raise up the snake's head as if to show him off, or say hi. Haven't seen him in a few years though, wonder where he went. Definitely struck me as someone who over-identified with an animal. :what:

Or in this case, you are what eats you.

Or you can see, feel, for a short time, what the creature is doing, like running with the wind if you are somehow disabled. I'm writing a short story with that theme.

In real life I've met people with organ transplants who KNEW they had changed. I wonder what the consciousness inside the transplanted organ felt. Odd/interesting.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back