TX TX - Clint Markham, 40, missing from cruise ship, 23 Sept 2011

Isn't it odd that this is the second case this week where I heard of someone going overboard on a cruise ship. I think the other case involved a woman on one of the Norwegian cruise lines.

Isn't it odd that this is the second case this week where I heard of someone going overboard on a cruise ship. I think the other case involved a woman on one of the Norwegian cruise lines.

It is HIGHLY UNDER REPORTED! I (THINK) they get away with it due to most occurring in "international waters"

There is a website and IMO it is some skeery ch!t!

http://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/

The numbers are higher than most believe...
and don't even look for the # of sexual crimes on ships...

All with a grain of salt in the big picture but still concerning IMO

Mixed feelings about this one.

If the guy was drinking irresponsibly, why is the cruise ship at fault?

If the same guy got drunk, got behind a wheel of a vehicle and rammed his vehicle into concrete barrier, would we say the concrete block is responsible because it shouldn't have killed him? Or if he did something risky like jumping from a sky rise, who do we blame?

Drinking irresponsible and never a good thing no matter where you are. A cruise ship isn't any different.

It's just an excuse. Same excuse some killers use as a defense. I was drunk therefore impaired my judgement. No. You were stupid.

:moo:

Also, the same thing applies on cruise ships as in bars or any other social event. WATCH YOUR DRINKS. Yes, they can be spiked. There are wackos everywhere. Just because one is on a cruise ship, doesn't make them immune to the dangers.

Mixed feelings about this one.

If the guy was drinking irresponsibly, why is the cruise ship at fault?

If the same guy got drunk, got behind a wheel of a vehicle and rammed his vehicle into concrete barrier, would we say the concrete block is responsible because it shouldn't have killed him? Or if he did something risky like jumping from a sky rise, who do we blame?

Drinking irresponsible and never a good thing no matter where you are. A cruise ship isn't any different.

It's just an excuse. Same excuse some killers use as a defense. I was drunk therefore impaired my judgement. No. You were stupid.

:moo:

But the bar that over served him could be held responsible.

I am sure I'm in the minority here but I never enjoyed going on a cruise. I always felt "trapped" out at sea, felt that everything was overpriced including the cost of the cruise itself, don't like having to sit and eat at a table with strangers (other passengers), don't like the overeating I see everyone doing, and am not entirely comfortable with the crew that is from a lot of countries and working on temp permits.

But some people love them.....:twocents:

:what: gngr Oh my! I shouldn't have looked at that link to the cruise ship deaths website!

Running out of this thread as fast as I can... to pack for my upcoming cruise!!! :escape:

:what: gngr Oh my! I shouldn't have looked at that link to the cruise ship deaths website!

Running out of this thread as fast as I can... to pack for my upcoming cruise!!! :escape:

Someone posted the statistics on Amy Bradley's thread. IIRC, it was 176 mysterious deaths (unresolved) in a decade.

I then looked at how many people take cruises a year. Over 14 million. That is over 140 million people in 10 years. The percent rate was .00001% mysterious deaths.

You're far safer taking a cruise than walking on some of the major cities in North America.

Have a great trip!

I cruise frequently. I am 5'8" tall and the rail comes up to mid chest on me,
so I really don't believe it when I see "fell overboard" - you have to climb up over the rails- there is usually alcohol involved and reckless behavior- or suicide. It seems a lot of people commit suicide by jumping off ships. AFAIK they all have security video now, which shows what actually happened.

maybe they could 'enclose' the sides of the ships in fencing or glass with just narrow spaces to let the fresh air in

then all these people who committ suicide or get drunk and climb up/fall or who are murdered - that statistic won't exist and the ship co. won't get sued and it'll be a lot easier to figure out if any of them were actually murdered

oh and how does a ship co. figure out how much one man can drink without becoming intoxicated to the point of stupidity? right, they can't - they have to apply the same standard to all passengers, and I freely admit I don't know what that is but it's generally either a limit on # of drinks (which he can just surpass by drinking someone else's) or an analysis of his behaviour (which he could seem just fine until he walks out into the sea air)

also, what's to stop people from consuming something while at port and then continuing to drink after coming back to the ship?

I suppose I'm really tired of the human race blaming their own behaviour on everything and everyone else and then deciding to get rich from their own mistakes/stupidity by suing

JMO

Someone posted the statistics on Amy Bradley's thread. IIRC, it was 176 mysterious deaths (unresolved) in a decade.

I then looked at how many people take cruises a year. Over 14 million. That is over 140 million people in 10 years. The percent rate was .00001% mysterious deaths.

You're far safer taking a cruise than walking on some of the major cities in North America.

Have a great trip!

THANK YOU nt for pointing this out.
My hubby and I are among the 14 million.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back