DippyBlonder

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/503umfl.html

503UMFL.jpg
503UMFL1.jpg
503UMFL2.jpg
503UMFL3.jpg

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on January 7, 1998 in Tampa, Hillsborough County, Florida. Estimated Date of Death: Years prior.

Estimated age: 30 - 60 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4" - 6'0"; weight unknown
Distinguishing Characteristics: There was a fracture noted on the left leg (femur bone) with an "L" shaped compression device or plate with 4 screws (serial number 240.44.A3DP 473).
Clothing: A black t-shirt and an indeterminate colored shirt, jacket and pants.
Skeletal Findings: Distal aspect of the left femur has internal fixation, L -shaped tibial plate with serial number 240.44 A3DP473.

Case History
On January 7, 1998, the skeletal remains of this victim were located on I-75 and Highway 92 in Tampa, Florida.

Remains found on January 7, 1998 consisted of a skull only. On October 8, 2002 the rest of the skeletal remains were recovered. Every surgical hospital in the area was contacted with no results.

You would think there would be some kind of data base for the plate they could search the serial #, or atleast be able to tell what year and where it was manufactured by the number.

Timothy Clayton Crissman?

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1431dmpa.html
Missing between August 10, 1996 - November 3, 1996 from Armstrong County, Pennsylvania.

Date Of Birth: January 5, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 200 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scaring on left leg. Victim suffers from Multiple Sclerosis.

His left leg is approximately two inches shorter than his right leg due to a motorcycle accident.

503UMFL1.jpg
TCCrissman.jpg

It's difficult to see his jawline - not sure Timothy has a strong enough jawline compared with the Doe?

Not submitted, looking for feedback.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/huff_david.html

David Scott Huff
Missing since April 13, 1994 from Tecopa, Inyo County, California
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date Of Birth: October 17, 1954
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 140-145 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue green eyes.
    [*]Marks, Scars: A long scar down most of his right femur from a childhood accident. Long plates, rods and screws were surgically implanted to repair the injury.
    [*]Dentals: Not available.

Thanks. I guess that means I don't have to research Donald Billings since he's on the ruleouts list...

They might not have been able to research the plate due to restrictions imposed by HIPPA. Also, amount of detail available for medical devices varies drastically according to manufacturer and hospital.

Timothy Clayton Crissman?

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1431dmpa.html
Missing between August 10, 1996 - November 3, 1996 from Armstrong County, Pennsylvania.

Date Of Birth: January 5, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 200 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scaring on left leg. Victim suffers from Multiple Sclerosis.

His left leg is approximately two inches shorter than his right leg due to a motorcycle accident.

503UMFL1.jpg
TCCrissman.jpg

It's difficult to see his jawline - not sure Timothy has a strong enough jawline compared with the Doe?

Not submitted, looking for feedback.

Did you ever submit this? Everything else fits, and with only skeletal remains, discrepancies in the reconstruction are likely.

I haven't submitted this. Everything does fit and the circumstances are likely too but the facial reconstruction is way off.

I'll see what else I can dig up on Timothy today.

I haven't submitted this. Everything does fit and the circumstances are likely too but the facial reconstruction is way off.

I'll see what else I can dig up on Timothy today.

I place very little stock in the detailed accuracy of a reconstruction (Carl's work excepted, of course :)). And the more recent computer generated ones seem to be a lot more accurate as well. But on they whole, they're only resemblances intended to trigger recognition in the people who knew them, not tools for identification. In this case, with only a skull to work from, all the soft features -- tip of the nose, lips, ears, hairline -- are approximations or educated guesses.

And I can't find any other pictures of Timothy, either. People often look very different and camera angles can change the appearance of their features, especially a nose. I have reservations about the size and shape of the eyes, but that could be camera angle.

I guess all I'm saying is that when everything else matches so well, I think it makes more sense to let the professionals decide whether it's a match.

Reminder to self: check DNA status in case it's a ruleout by default.

I found this while browsing, didn't see this particular detail in any other listing:

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/index.aspx?NID=360

White male. Incomplete skeletal remains. 30-60 years, 5'5" to 6'1". Fracture of left thigh (femur). "L" shaped compression device or plate with 4 screws (Ser #240.44 A3DP 473). Lower mandible has 5 teeth. Black T-shirt, Indeterminate color shirt, jacket, and pants. REFER CASE # 98-00120
Most likely origin is Europe, probably Germany.

I found this while browsing, didn't see this particular detail in any other listing:

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/index.aspx?NID=360

The Doe is of European/German decent or I wonder if compression device was manufactured/ utilized in Germany. Germany is a popular destination to be stationed for many in the Army and Air Force. Or it could have been someone here in Tampa area on vacation from Europe.

The Doe is of European/German decent or I wonder if compression device was manufactured/ utilized in Germany. Germany is a popular destination to be stationed for many in the Army and Air Force. Or it could have been someone here in Tampa area on vacation from Europe.

To me, it reads as if they mean the Doe could be of European/German decent. JMO. I researched the heck out of that compression device yesterday and as alllads pointed out, it seems to be a bone plate manufactured by Synthes USA. I have no idea if that plate could have been used in surgery in Europe. One thing that kind of struck me as odd was that this particular plate, #240.44, is listed in all descriptions as this:

REF# 240.44 SYNTHES L-BUTTRESS PLATE/4 HOLES/85MM ANGLED LEFT FOR RIGHT TIBIA

The listing for this Doe says "There was a fracture noted on the left leg (femur bone) with an "L" shaped compression device or plate with 4 screws (serial number 240.44.A3DP 473)."

So...I am not a doctor, but it seems that if the Doe's fracture was indeed on his LEFT FEMUR (thigh bone), wouldn't a plate intended for use on the RIGHT TIBIA (shin bone) be an "off label" use of sorts? Again, not a doctor, but I know some medications are prescribed for conditions other than their approved uses. I'm assuming that certain medical devices, such as this bone plate, could be used in this "off label" manner as well. However, if this were the case, it would seem that the physician that performed the surgery might be able to recall the patient better because of the non-standard use of the plate.

Or maybe I'm just totally off here, lol :)

Looking on the Interpol site for Germans who might be missing in the US in the right time frame and in the age range, I found:

Ernst Hafner, German missing in Brazil in 1986: http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/missing/2009-44110

Unfortunately Interpol doesn't put much data on their site and the photo's not very clear...but I don't think the jaw matches.

Looking on the Interpol site for Germans who might be missing in the US in the right time frame and in the age range, I found:

Ernst Hafner, German missing in Brazil in 1986: http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/missing/2009-44110

Unfortunately Interpol doesn't put much data on their site and the photo's not very clear...but I don't think the jaw matches.

You're right, it looks great except for that jaw.

It's not impossible that the same plate was used in Europe as well - Synthes operate worldwide and were actually originally founded in Switzerland.

Four ruleouts https://identifyus.org/en/cases/175. I don't know how many are new because apparently I didn't post the older list.

He has dentals and DNA.

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Donald Ray Billings 0
Watson Adrian Jones 0
James Timothy Mangrum 0
Carlo Pfaff 1944 South Carolina

Carbuff!
((((hug))))

His features look kind of west slavic European to me.

Like the Kurgan, the Highlander, for example. The-Kurgan-highlander-8779283-404-303.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washingtonsupersleuth
Back