1197 users online (234 members and 963 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sandusky Trial Transcripts Discussion

A thread to discuss the Sandusky trial transcripts posted by Centre County government:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/sandusky.asp

Defense opening:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...%20OPENING.pdf

Jerry Sandusky trial transcripts show Joe Amendola sought mistrial, asked to be removed from case

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/09/2...anscripts.html

Court documents suggest ongoing Second Mile investigation, mention juror's ties to charity

BELLEFONTE — Closed-door conversations revealed in the transcript of the Jerry Sandusky trial drop hints that The Second Mile is under investigation.

In a meeting in chambers during Sandusky’s trial, Judge John Cleland said that it was “general knowledge that the Second Mile and its various fundraisings have been the object of some investigations by some agencies.”

“I don’t know if it’s the grand jury, FBI, U.S. attorney or somewhat, but there are certainly ongoing investigations,” Cleland said.

Prosecutor Frank Fina replied, “I think that’s very fair to say, your honor.”

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/09/2...#storylink=cpy

thanks so much for posting the link for the transcripts! i love reading the actual transcripts - it's my favorite part of following trials. Unfortunately, we don't often have access to them.

i've been lost in them for several hours now - got all caught up in reading all of the jury selection and most of the motions heard prior to jury selection.

i'll start reading the opening statements tomorrow evening (actually, THIS evening - it's already 4am here).

thanks again!

I always regretted having to call the Victim by a number, but after seeing their names, I don't. I'll continue the practice.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

I've just read through Day 1, was surprised to find the names of the victims are included. It feels as though now they are "proven" victims, they deserve more privacy than when they were only "alleged".
    Amendola's questioning sometimes put more information into the record that harmed Sandusky. I think I can see why the prosecution started with that witness, his story includes most of the pieces of the other stories in a coherent pattern. Interesting.

Hi everyone! I am new here, but I attended the entire trial (with the exception of the first day) and was there when they read the verdict. I'm going to be attending the sentencing on October 9th as well. I attended as a member of the public, and as a survivor of child sexual abuse, along with a good friend of mine. It was a fascinating experience and we wrote about it pretty exhaustively on our blog, but it's great to have the trial transcripts because I'm sure we missed a few things. I am concerned that the victims names were included unredacted though...even though they were said in open court, there was an agreement to not use them outside of the courtroom. I have become friends with the mother of one of the more high-profile victims and she's told me some horror stories about the kind of treatment her family has received even without this kind of public disclosure. I don't even know if they (victims and family) were aware that this would happen. These young men are supposed to be giving victims impact statements at the sentencing, so I can't help but wonder why they would release this now? Giving a VIS is very emotional, very personal...even moreso when it is a sex crime. They already know that the world is watching them, and will be dissecting their words...knowing that their names are now attached to those words, what effect will that have? Will they feel comfortable standing up and saying the words that they know might cause them to break down and cry, knowing that they are now publicly identified?

Does this strike anyone else as odd timing?

Welcome TCG! I would love to read your blog.

The transcripts are public information, and they probably just got around to releasing them.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

Thank you for posting the link to the transcripts. I look forward to reading them all.
    The greatest trespasser on justice still wishes it done to him.

EDWARD COUNSEL, Maxims

Quote Originally Posted by TreeClimbingGirl View Post
    These young men are supposed to be giving victims impact statements at the sentencing, so I can't help but wonder why they would release this now? Giving a VIS is very emotional, very personal...even moreso when it is a sex crime. They already know that the world is watching them, and will be dissecting their words...knowing that their names are now attached to those words, what effect will that have? Will they feel comfortable standing up and saying the words that they know might cause them to break down and cry, knowing that they are now publicly identified?

It certainly seems odd to me, but then a lot about the handling of this case has been odd. Certainly not like most other pedophile cases I've read about. It seems as if the court system is compromised.
    The victims are very brave.

Hi TCG- I would also like to read your blogging of the trial- can you post a link, please? Or if that's not OK with Websleuths, a label we can search on.

First Post -

Quote Originally Posted by TreeClimbingGirl View Post
    Hi everyone! I am new here, but I attended the entire trial (with the exception of the first day) and was there when they read the verdict. I'm going to be attending the sentencing on October 9th as well. I attended as a member of the public, and as a survivor of child sexual abuse, along with a good friend of mine. It was a fascinating experience and we wrote about it pretty exhaustively on our blog, but it's great to have the trial transcripts because I'm sure we missed a few things. I am concerned that the victims names were included unredacted though...even though they were said in open court, there was an agreement to not use them outside of the courtroom. I have become friends with the mother of one of the more high-profile victims and she's told me some horror stories about the kind of treatment her family has received even without this kind of public disclosure. I don't even know if they (victims and family) were aware that this would happen. These young men are supposed to be giving victims impact statements at the sentencing, so I can't help but wonder why they would release this now? Giving a VIS is very emotional, very personal...even moreso when it is a sex crime. They already know that the world is watching them, and will be dissecting their words...knowing that their names are now attached to those words, what effect will that have? Will they feel comfortable standing up and saying the words that they know might cause them to break down and cry, knowing that they are now publicly identified?

Hi, I am the "good friend" of TreeClimbingGirl - and you can find our blog about the Jerry Sandusky trial here

http://tree-climbers.org/bearing-wit...erry-sandusky/

I hope I'm not violating any site rules - if I am, I apologize.

Not only did we attend every day of the trial, but I was selected as "The Public" to view Phase III of Jury selection where I sat in Judge's Chambers for two days, 10 feet away from Jerry Sandusky, Joe Amendola, Karl Rominger, Frank Fina, Joe McGettigan and Judge Cleland as they interviewed each prospective juror.

And, as TCG mentioned above, we will be back in court for the sentencing on October 9th. We published a book for the brave young men who testified entitled "Bearing Witness: Messages of Support From Across the World" where we solicited letters, poems, and notes of encouragement from victims, survivors and supporters. This book was a limited publishing and is only being given to the young men and their families.

I look forward to working with this community and exploring all of the good work you have done thus far.

Roxine

Read Day 3- felt sorry for John McQueary and thought Clelland handled his testimony well. Seemed clear that no matter how many ways Rominger asked the most recent memory wasn't going to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxine View Post
    Hi, I am the "good friend" of TreeClimbingGirl - and you can find our blog about the Jerry Sandusky trial here

http://tree-climbers.org/bearing-wit...erry-sandusky/

I hope I'm not violating any site rules - if I am, I apologize.

Not only did we attend every day of the trial, but I was selected as "The Public" to view Phase III of Jury selection where I sat in Judge's Chambers for two days, 10 feet away from Jerry Sandusky, Joe Amendola, Karl Rominger, Frank Fina, Joe McGettigan and Judge Cleland as they interviewed each prospective juror.

And, as TCG mentioned above, we will be back in court for the sentencing on October 9th. We published a book for the brave young men who testified entitled "Bearing Witness: Messages of Support From Across the World" where we solicited letters, poems, and notes of encouragement from victims, survivors and supporters. This book was a limited publishing and is only being given to the young men and their families.

I look forward to working with this community and exploring all of the good work you have done thus far.

Roxine
    HA! Too funny...I was just coming here to share the links and I see you are way ahead of me

Tree Climbers is a non-profit (pending IRS authorization, which is taking forever unfortunately ) to support survivors of Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation...it was actually started as a result of the Sandusky case. Here is a link with more of an explanation:

http://tree-climbers.org/about/about-us/

Roxine and I both "came out" publicly as CSA survivors after this story broke-she on Dr. Laura (she gave a really compelling interview, the audio is parked at that link) and I wrote a blog post that ended up going viral on the day Joe Paterno died (warning-may be offensive to some):

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...ease-read-lt-3

(Sorry to go OT, and if this violates any TOS please let me know!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast