name: J L Spraggins
event: Death
event date: 16 Jul 1997
event place: San Bernardino, California, United States
birth date: 30 Jan 1901
birthplace: Texas
father:
mother: Wilson

I couldn't find many records of Spraggins who married Wilsons, living in Texas. I pursued this thread because the census birth year is in the right ballpark, the mother's maiden name fits, and the name listing is the same with just the initials.

Possible marriage record of parents (Spraggins & Wilson):

"Kentucky, Marriages, 1785-1979," J. L. Spraggins, 1877
groom's name: J. L. Spraggins
groom's birth date:
groom's birthplace:
groom's age:
bride's name: Rossie Wilson
bride's birth date:
bride's birthplace:
bride's age:
marriage date: 04 Oct 1877
marriage place: Washington County, Kentucky
groom's father's name:
groom's mother's name:
bride's father's name:
bride's mother's name:
groom's race:
groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race:
bride's marital status:
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: M01292-2
system origin: Kentucky-EASy
source film number: 1915011
reference number: Reg 5 p 193

Possible sibling:

"Texas, Births and Christenings, 1840-1981," Mary Bessie Spraggins, 1896

name: Mary Bessie Spraggins
baptism/christening date:
baptism/christening place:
birth date: 04 Dec 1896
birthplace: Rockwall, Rockwall, Texas
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: Joe Linsey Spraggins
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Roseann Wilson
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C00011-8
system origin: Texas-ODM
source film number: 1513414 IT 1-5
reference number:

Possible 1910 census listing as 9 years old (possible birth year of 1901):

"United States Census, 1910," J L Spraggins in household of Joel L Spraggins, Justice Precinct 2, Palo Pinto, Texas
name: J L Spraggins
birthplace: Texas
relationship to head of household: Son
residence: Justice Precinct 2, Palo Pinto, Texas
marital status: Single
race : White
immigration year:
father's birthplace: Kentucky
mother's birthplace: Kentucky
family number: 141
page number: 8
Household Gender Age Birthplace
self Joel L Spraggins M 59y Kentucky
wife Raese Ann Spraggins F 50y Kentucky
son Richard Spraggins M 16y Texas
dau Bessie Spraggins F 14y Texas
dau Osie Spraggins F 11y Texas
son J L Spraggins M 9y Texas

Possible obituary for father in the "Southwestern Union Record' on Tuesday, October 9, 1917 (link here):
SPRAGGINS.—J. L. Spraggins was born in Washington County, Ky., in 1851, and died August 30, 1917, at Wellington, Texas. He was married to Miss Rosie Wilson in 1878, and to this union ten children were born, six of whom are still living.
Possible obituary for mother (written by possible sister) in the "Southwestern Union Record' on Tuesday, February 14, 1922 (link here):
BOWMAN: Roseann Wilson was born in the State of Kentucky in 1866. At the age of 16 was married to J. L. Spraggins. To this union was born 10 children, 6 of whom are still living and were at her bedside when death came. She with her husband accepted the truth in 1887 through the preaching of Elder Ward Gregory at Elk City, Kansas, and lived faithful to the truth till her first husband died in August, 1917. She drifted off with the world to some extent and in March, 1919, was married to L. M. Bowman of Altus, Okla., where she died Dec. 4, 1921.

<snipped>

Her children are Mrs. Ettie Wrye, Enid, Okla; Mrs Osie Kesel, Wheeler, Texas; R. C. Spraggins, Altus, Okla,; J. L. Spraggins, Jr., Altus, Okla.; Mrs.
Bessie Vermillion, Wellington, Texas; and the writer.

<snipped>

We laid her to rest by the side of her first husband here in the Wellington Cemetery: Pray for us that we may be an unbroken family in
heaven.

MRS I. N. HARRISON.
Wellington, Texas.
Since the reference is to "J.L. Spraggins, Jr.", I wonder if the unclaimed person's full name is "Joel Lindsey/Lindsay/Linsey Spraggins, Jr."?

There are definitely grand-nephews and grand-nieces if this is the right J.L. Spraggins. They have posted on Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com. I am going to try to find one of these active posters (I edited their names/usernames) and as a second plan, trace one of the siblings mentioned above.

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.spraggins/217/mb.ashx
Looking for more help!!!
s6133
Posted: 5 Jan 2009 12:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Spraggins

My grandfather name was Richard Cowan Spraggins. He went by Dick. he was born in Denton, Texas in 1893. He married Amy Agnes Briscoe. I remember being told my middle name was from his father, J. L Spraggins. I think it is Joel Lindsay spraggins. He married Rose Ann Wilson. I have J. L. spraggins bible and it was presented to him by H. W Spraggins in Wellington, Texas in 1913. I have come to a dead end. If anyone knows any more information I would be greatful.

Thank you
http://genforum.genealogy.com/ky/messages/39133.html
joel linsey spraggins/rose ann wilson
Posted by: mm (ID *****2356)
Date: April 13, 2009 at 15:59:06

lookin to find out who Joel Lindsey Spraggins was.
have a note that joel lindsey spraggins was from wellington, tx at least was living there at that time
this note refers to a note that was in bible that was given to joel lindsey oct. 9 1913 by h. w. spraggins also of wellington, tx
who is this h. w. spraggins? some of the notes that i have indicates that joel lindsey spraggins was born in kentucky and was married to rose ann wilson could this h. w spraggins be a sibling of joel lindsey.
joel lindsey and rose ann are buried in wellington, tx
thank you very much
http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?Wellington::ky::39134.html
Re: joel linsey spraggins/rose ann wilson
Info found on ancestry.com family tress by:

Spraggins Family Tree (Owner: s1)
http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=222&p=surnames.spraggins
The only information I have is a note in a bible that belonged to my grandfather, Richard Cowan Spraggins. The bible was originally given to his father, Joel Lindsay Spraggins of Wellington on October 9, 1913 by H. W Spraggins of Wellington. I know nothing about this H. W. Spraggins.

I think I found contact information for the poster of the family tree on the genealogy sites. His grandfather, Richard Cowan Spraggins (R.C. Spraggins in the mother's obituary) would be J.L. Spraggins, Jr.'s brother. That makes the poster's father a nephew and the poster a grand-nephew.

I also found the "Mrs. Osie Kesel" mentioned in the mother's obituary who would be J.L. Jr.'s sister. Per census records, her married name was actually "Osie Keesee". Marriage record here. Census records show she had a son named Bobby Joe which is also confirmed by her daughter Cleta's obituary: Link here. I think I have tracked down one of Cleta's surviving sons in Pampa, TX. Since Cleta would be J.L., Jr.'s niece, this son would be J.L., Jr.'s grand-nephew.

PM'ing the contact information found to Raine and Nemo'sMom.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back