884 users online (163 members and 721 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

‘Psychopaths’ Have an Impaired Sense of Smell

A new study suggests that a poor sense of smell may be a marker for psychopathic traits. People with psychopathic tendencies have an impaired sense of smell, which points to inefficient processing in the front part of the brain. These findings by Mehmet Mahmut and Richard Stevenson, from Macquarie University in Australia, are published online in Springer’s journal Chemosensory Perception.
    http://www.criticalmass.uk.com/index...tudy-suggests/

This is the one time that I can think that my keen sense of smell (which is quite annoying to me at times) is a blessing.
    I'm obviously no psychopath!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Does this mean they can slip up since they can't smell their crimes?

I don't know if I can buy into this finding. KC Anthony was able to smell the trunk of her car without a problem.

Which is why I posted in off-beat news, rather than a place where it might be taken too seriously as a diagnostic or investigative tool. I seriously doubt it's as simple as all that, or that there's some one-to-one relationship between sense of smell and psychopathology, but as we learn more about the brain, there are some provocative findings out there. Even though some of them may prove to be dead ends.

OTOH, you don't hear abut too many sommelier-serial killers, either.

Makes no sense to me. Not enough info in the article.

However, it gives a tiny bit of assistance in understanding necrophilia, perhaps that means vision is also skewed?

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Quote Originally Posted by ATasteOfHoney View Post
    This is the one time that I can think that my keen sense of smell (which is quite annoying to me at times) is a blessing.
    I'm obviously no psychopath!
    BBM

How do we know???

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

I guess some of us single women need to give our dates the "small taste" before accepting a date invitation.

Something like:

Jim, I need you to take this smell test before we go out to dinner.

Lemon Orange

Close your eyes (or blindfold works best I guess), now tell me which one is a lemon.

If he picks the wrong one......

You

Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    BBM

How do we know???
    Can you smell the roses?

k bye
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    Makes no sense to me. Not enough info in the article.

However, it gives a tiny bit of assistance in understanding necrophilia, perhaps that means vision is also skewed?
    Ewww! LOL!

IDK, Hannibal Lector seemed to enjoy the aroma of his late night lamb cooked rare. On the other hand, he couldn't smell Clarice's . . . , well, he did smell her perfume from the prior day. Maybe he was just borderline psychopathic?

Wordsworth had no sense of smell. He was a tosser, true, but I wouldn't label him a psychopath, quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    Does this mean they can slip up since they can't smell their crimes?

I don't know if I can buy into this finding. KC Anthony was able to smell the trunk of her car without a problem.
    But Casey thought it was a dead squirrel. Then it became spoiled pizza. She could smell human decomp, but it is very likely it smelled differently to her than to the average person and, IMO, the average person would not have been able to ride around with the smell for as long as Casey did--several days or more.

Psychopath's brains are wire differently, so there could be something to this smell thing--and it could be why Casey was not and will never be haunted by what she did.

Quote Originally Posted by woodlawn View Post
    A new study suggests that a poor sense of smell may be a marker for psychopathic traits. People with psychopathic tendencies have an impaired sense of smell, which points to inefficient processing in the front part of the brain. These findings by Mehmet Mahmut and Richard Stevenson, from Macquarie University in Australia, are published online in Springer’s journal Chemosensory Perception.
    OMG My sister has no sense of smell, I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." – Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

I wonder how many in the study smoked and denied smoking. LOL That would kill your smell ability.

I use to smoke and my sense of smell was very bad, since I quit, I smell everything.

The subjects studied were probably men and men can never smell things very well. Why wouldn't a psychopath fake it as well. They are liars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast