France - 5 shot, 4 dead in French Alps, may have int'l ramifications, 2012 #2

Drella

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Four people have been found shot dead in peaceful surroundings near a lake in south-east France, local officials say.

The bodies of two women and a man were found in a British-registered BMW car near Lake Annecy, in the Haute Savoie region, they said.

A cyclist was reportedly found dead nearby. A critically injured girl under 10 years old was also found.

The nationality of the victims has not yet been established.

Lake Annecy is a popular tourist destination known for its swimming and water sports.

The cyclist who came across the grisly scene at about 16:00 local time (14:00 GMT) is said to be in shock.

The UK Foreign Office said it was aware of reports of the shootings and was looking into them urgently.

France shooting: Annecy gun victims 'were UK tourists'

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
The police at first reported the young girl had died. Taking some time to sort things out in this one. Possibly a robbery/carjacking gone badly wrong; possibly something even more bizarre.

France shooting: Four dead after gun attack on British car in French Alps near Grenoble (Telegraph)
---
Three of the bodies were found inside a British-registered BMW estate car, while the body of a male cyclist was found nearby in what was described as a “dramatic” crime scene.

The girl was found seriously injured next to the car when emergency crews arrived at the woodland car park near Chevaline, close to Lake Annecy in the French Alps.
---
A British cyclist is understood to have discovered the bodies at 3.50pm yesterday. One police source said the cyclist had “stumbled across a massacre”, adding that the dead appeared to have been victims of a “deliberate assassination”.
---
more at the link

France shooting: Bodies found in 'UK car' near Annecy (BBC News)
---
The area has now been sealed off by some 60 police, who have started a criminal investigation into what they are calling a multiple murder.
---
Eric Maillaud, the investigating prosecutor from Annecy, said, "We haven't yet been able to establish the nationality of the victims. For the moment we have not been able to establish a theory about what has happened here."

The car park where the bodies were found is in a quiet, forested area in the foothills of the Alps.
---
more, with a video, at link above

Alps Murder Victims Pasts Probed by Cops

Al-Hilli and his brother Zaid had been in a legal battle over their family's $6.5 million inheritance, which included a Swiss bank account and real estate across Europe. The Al-Hillis' father died in Spain in 2010 and the considerable inheritance is still unsettled.

Police investigating the murder of a British family in the French Alps almost three weeks ago have completed the search of their home in Surrey.

Detectives pulled out on Monday, having scoured the house in Claygate for clues to the killing for the past two weeks.

Saad al-Hilli, 50, was shot with his wife Iqbal, 47, his mother-in-law and a cyclist near Annecy. Daughters Zainab, seven, and Zeena, four, survived.

French and British police have formed a joint task force for the investigation.

Surrey Police said although the initial search of the house had ended, inquiries remained active and officers would still be guarding the property

I wonder if they have found what they were searching for.

Am still puzzled that no photos of Iqbal al-Hilli or her mother, Suhaila al-Allaf, have been published.

Is there meaning here?

Am still puzzled that no photos of Iqbal al-Hilli or her mother, Suhaila al-Allaf, have been published.

Is there meaning here?

It does seem strange. I wonder if it is to protect the 2 girls or whether there are other reasons.

It does seem strange. I wonder if it is to protect the 2 girls or whether there are other reasons.
Quite strange. Daily Mail, for example, prides itself in obtaining that kind of thing and must have quite the budget for it, as do other tabs. It's almost as if the government has obtained the press's cooperation in this matter (which I think that they have). Now....why would that be the case?

I can't quite see a connection between this and protecting the girls. Something more sinister afoot??

Quite strange. Daily Mail, for example, prides itself in obtaining that kind of thing and must have quite the budget for it, as do other tabs. It's almost as if the government has obtained the press's cooperation in this matter (which I think that they have). Now....why would that be the case?

I can't quite see a connection between this and protecting the girls. Something more sinister afoot??

There has been so little recently in the press that there must be a ban on publishing things.

The Granny's house in Sweden was searched was she connected in any way?

I have wondered if the 8 hour wait before the police opened the car and found Zeena was because they were waiting for special teams to arrive as they thought there could be hazadous materials in the car or whether they thought it could be booby trapped.

It is frustrating for us amateur sleuths as no no information is being given,but the police must have tons of information that for some reason is not being released to the public via the media.

There was a report on the morning of the 6th that a Defence Advisory Notice was put into effect. The content and a little more information can be found here.

I've read a few journos on twitter moan about having their work heavily edited by their bosses, when reporting on this case. I am therefore led to believe there has to be a notice in place.

There was a report on the morning of the 6th that a Defence Advisory Notice was put into effect. The content and a little more information can be found here.

I've read a few journos on twitter moan about having their work heavily edited by their bosses, when reporting on this case. I am therefore led to believe there has to be a notice in place.

copied from another forum:

Re the DA-notice that is discussed, there is also a legal way to censor press outside UK.
Expressens ( one of the largest Swedish newspaper ) edititor in chief wrote recently about an injunction ( or “gag-order” ) they recieved from a British court.

Google-translated:
“Expressen has warned that writing about a recent court case in England. Which case it is about, Expressen editor Thomas Mattsson will not tell, but says it is very current.
The English legal system is a special form of prior censorship, injunction. It means that the courts can ban the media to write some things about specific individuals. About this subject Thomas Mattsson wrote a blog post.

But the ban is dependent that the medium in question was aware that there was an injunction.

—-
- I chose not to specify which case it’s all about in my blog post, for fear of contributing to raising awareness of the specific order. This is because the court says that it includes all who know it, but consequently not others.

- It is well to say the least questionable whether the information in my post could be considered to act as a kind of service to other Swedish media who read it, but it’s enough to get editors who want to litigate to get right on that point. So I gave up some details, it’s still the principle of injunctions – ie pre censorship – that is interesting.

The court that issued the warrant, Thomas Mattsson will not say, but he shows the extract of the warning he had received from England. It says, among other things, that “the order binds all who know that the order issued to follow the order”

http://www.journalisten.se/nyheter/expressen-varnas-av-engelskt-rattsvasende

This could very well be the reason why the Swedish press have kept more or less silent about the two victims with connections to Sweden.
There is further no traces on internet of Ikbal and Suhaila, which is surprising.

It is possible that when people see the pictures, they remember other relatives , including the girls, that they have seen with the murder victims.
The girls and possibly other relatives could still be danger.

Hi, I'm new here and have read through a large number of the posts but I may have missed some of the older ones. As such, I'm sorry if this has already been discussed but I didn't see it. Looking at one of the pictures of the vehicle, on the right hand side (passenger for british vehicles, driver for american) about where the rear passenger would sit, is that a bullet hole coming through the roof of the car? It certainly looks like one to me, and if so, it would either mean that the shooter was in the car or he was about 10 feet tall...

It seems to have gotten awefully quiet about this case. I hope that the public's interest in this murder doesn't dissipate as that's the only way we can keep pressure on law enforcement to search for the truth

Looking at one of the pictures of the vehicle, on the right hand side (passenger for british vehicles, driver for american) about where the rear passenger would sit, is that a bullet hole coming through the roof of the car? It certainly looks like one to me, and if so, it would either mean that the shooter was in the car or he was about 10 feet tall...
<rsbm>

Hi RVA, and Welcome !!

Could you please give a link to the specific pic you are referring to? Thanks.

sb

Thanks for picture, wfgodot.
Is anyone else but me having trouble seeing a bullet hole in the top of the car?
Only thing I can see is that white spot above the left rear passenger's seat. More likely a bird just splotted it, though.

A new article but no earth shattering news.
If brother Zaid wanted his share of the house and had legal back up then that does not really make a motive to wipe out Saad and his family. Rather the other way around IMO.
snipped;

Saad al-Hilli and his brother Zaid jointly owned the home in Claygate, Surrey, where Saad lived with his family.

Saad told friends his brother wanted the money for his share of the house - approximately £400,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19729566

Thinking about that last article, brings up some other questions.
As far as I know the brothers co-owned the house for many years, before the father died and after the mother died..
May be the inheritance from Dad, was smaller than expected and not enough for Saad to buy out Zaid's share of the house. And Zaid after waiting all these years 'till Dad died, wants his share to which he is legally entitled to. But Saad absolutely does not want to sell the house and comes up with something desperate and dangerous to get the money.
Saad has some info to sell or may be has some dirt on somebody(in Iraq?).
Anyway, whatever he has, is only good for a one time deal and they(whoever they are ) have no further use for him in the future. After all he is just an engineer not a published scientist with a PhD.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back