Height: 5 ft 1 in
Weight: 90 lbs

Source
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Hotline: 1-800-843-5678
http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/601065/1
WDowney.jpg

"Circumstances of Disappearance
Downey was last seen on May 8, 1987. He left his mother a note saying he was going to stay overnight with a friend. His mother later discovered he had not spent the night there.

A large white car, possibly a 1974-75 Chevrolet Impala was seen driving in the vicinity just after Downey left. This vehicle had not been seen in the area previously. He may still be in the local area"

http://http://doenetwork.org/cases/232dmwa.html

Cute kid - wish we knew more about him. This is really in the days before internet - so it makes you wonder.

William Vern Downey
Missing since May 8, 1987 from Seattle, King County, Washington.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 24, 1974
Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1; 90 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Downey has a scar on his left nostril and one in his right eye area. His left ear is pierced.
Dentals: His left front tooth is chipped at a pronounced diagonal angle.
Clothing: Blue jeans, a striped shirt, white sneakers and a gold chain.
AKA: Billy
Dentals: X-rays Available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Downey was last seen on May 8, 1987. He left his mother a note saying he was going to stay overnight with a friend. His mother later discovered he had not spent the night there.

A large white car, possibly a 1974-75 Chevrolet Impala was seen driving in the vicinity just after Downey left. This vehicle had not been seen in the area previously. He may still be in the local area

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

King County Sheriff's Office
206-296-7692

Email: MCUtips.kcso@metrokc.gov

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 87-098217

NCMEC #: NCMC601065

NCIC Number: M-246407232

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Operation Lookout
America's Most Wanted
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Washington State Missing Persons
The Doe Network: Case File 232DMWA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/232dmwa.html

commenting here to bookmark william's case. wish there was more info on him!

William Verne Downey
  • william_verne_downey_1.jpg
  • william_verne_downey_2.jpg
  • william_verne_downey_3.jpg
William, circa 1987; Age-progression to age 36 (circa (2010)

• Missing Since05/08/1987
  • Missing FromSeattle, Washington
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth09/24/1974 (44)
  • Age12 years old
  • Height and Weight5'0 - 5'1, 90 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA striped shirt, blue jeans, white sneakers and a gold chain.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Sandy blond hair, blue eyes. William has scars on his left nostril and near his right eye. His upper left front tooth was chipped at a pronounced diagonal angle at the time of his 1987 disappearance. William's left ear is pierced. His nickname is Billy. William is right-handed. He spoke with a deep, husky voice in 1987. His hair may be longer than in the photos shown. Some agencies spell William's middle name "Vern."
Details of Disappearance
William left a note for his mother at their family's Seattle, Washington residence on May 8, 1987. The letter stated that he was spending the night at a friend's home. When William failed to return to his house the following day, the friend said that he never saw him the evening before.

Another witness stated that William was seen entering a large white car, possibly a 1974 or 1975 Chevrolet Impala, in Seattle later in the day on May 8. He may have remained in the general area after his disappearance. He has never been heard from again.

William may have departed from his residence of his own accord, but the circumstances surrounding his disappearance are unclear. He was a student at Sylvester Middle School at the time that he went missing, and his friends tended to be people much older than himself. His case remains unsolved.

Do you think Westley Allan Dodd could be involved? He resided in Renton in May 1987, only ten minutes away from where William lived. Dodd was arrested for attempted abduction of an 8-year-0ld boy at a construction site he worked at in June that year.

Westley Dodd: A Long, Steady Slide Into Dark Desperation | The Seattle Times

Westley Allan Dodd - Wikipedia
I was thinking exactly the same thing, william verne downey is my brother, he went missing before I was born, and ever since I was told at a young age that I had family that was missing, I've done so much research, made fb pages and even my cousins still post about his disappearance, I would love to be able to know what happened to William, and if he is still out there, we want him to know we care about him, and if they do ever find anything out, I would like to let my father know, cause it still bothers him to this day

I was thinking exactly the same thing, william verne downey is my brother, he went missing before I was born, and ever since I was told at a young age that I had family that was missing, I've done so much research, made fb pages and even my cousins still post about his disappearance, I would love to be able to know what happened to William, and if he is still out there, we want him to know we care about him, and if they do ever find anything out, I would like to let my father know, cause it still bothers him to this day
Im so sorry you are having to go thru all of this. Are you in contact with Law Enforcment regarding his case?

Hi @laulauchin, welcome to Websleuths!

I'm so sorry that your brother is still missing. We would love to help.

One of the things we do on Websleuths is to verify family members. This way, Websleuths members know they are discussing the case with the actual family member and not someone pretending to be in the family.

If you would like to become a verified family member in your brother's case please email wsverify@yahoo.com and include the case name and who you are and ask to be verified.

You can read more about why we do this at Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Thank you,

Knitty,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave