UK - the late Jimmy Savile and the underage sex charges now confronting the BBC

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Major scandal brewing with the BBC:

Did TV bosses turn a blind eye to Savile? Anger grows as string of under-age girls come forward to say star abused them
• TV star is accused of grooming girls as young as 12
• Esther Rantzen admits many in the industry 'blocked' their ears to claims about Savile
• ITV documentary claims some BBC producers were aware of behaviour as far back as the mid 1960s
The BBC faced growing anger yesterday amid claims it turned a blind eye to Sir Jimmy Savile’s alleged abuse of under-age girls.

There were also questions over why, in the months after his death, the corporation axed a Newsnight investigation into the star’s ‘predatory behaviour’.

Savile, who died last year aged 84, is accused of grooming girls as young as 12, by offering them sweets, cigarettes and tickets to be in the audience of his shows.

Six women have come forward to say they were sexually abused by the former Jim’ll Fix It star in his Rolls-Royce, at a hospital, at a school and BBC Television Centre.

One of the alleged victims claims the former Radio 1 DJ raped her in his dressing room.
---
One former BBC producer who saw Savile in a restaurant with a girl aged around 12 describes Top of the Pops as his ‘happy hunting ground’.
---
much more, with pictures, at link above

I've never watched much BBC, but he always gave me the creeps. This one doesn't surprise me.

I've never watched much BBC, but he always gave me the creeps. This one doesn't surprise me.
Yes, a good friend gave me the head's up on this one the day after he died.

Why didn't these victim's come forward before he died or did they and nothing came of it because of who he was? Not blaming them but I just wished when stuff like this happens that they all get reported.

Why didn't these victim's come forward before he died or did they and nothing came of it because of who he was? Not blaming them but I just wished when stuff like this happens that they all get reported.
It's a fair question. There are many reasons incidents of this nature go unreported - embarrassment; the feeling of having oneself done something wrong; and, with Savile, who would the authorities believe, one's word against his? He received an OBE in 1971 and was knighted in 1990.

Jimmy Savile (Wiki)

ITV Stands By Jimmy Savile Child Sex Claims (Sky News)
ITV has said it stands by a documentary which claims Sir Jimmy Savile sexually abused schoolgirls after a member of his family said they are "disgusted and disappointed" by the allegations.

Exposure: The Other Side Of Jimmy Savile, which airs later this week, details claims from women dating to the 1970s, including allegations that he abused girls in his Rolls-Royce and at BBC TV Centre.
---
An ITV spokesman said: "This documentary is the result of an in-depth investigation into long-standing allegations of serious and widespread sexual misconduct by Sir Jimmy Savile.
---
the rest at the link above

I believe allegations were originally made in 2007, before he died, and the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) decided there was not enough evidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19788721

Article on the 2007 allegations^^^

And I agree with wfgodot - the BBC have gone into denial overdrive this morning....

I don't know if you're allowed to link to you tube but there was a programme a few years ago where one of the Nolan Sisters said that she had been "intimately cuddled" by Jimmy Savile as a young teenager on Top Of The Pops.

Starts at about the 3:10 mark:
[video=youtube;RKFrhW4-BmU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKFrhW4-BmU[/video]

I always thought he was a creepy man, even as a child. Interestingly he was a good friend to Prince Charles.
This scandal has been bubbling under the surface for a fair few years

Daily Mail:

We were victims of Jimmy Savile: As pressure grows on BBC over 'cover up',
two women come forward to describe their teenage ordeals at hands of TV host

Two women stepped forward yesterday to say they had been abused as teenagers by Sir Jimmy Savile.

As the scandal around the star deepened, Katrina Rose, 51, described how she was attacked in his flat after being invited to his radio show when she was 14.

She now regrets not speaking out when he was alive but ‘lost her nerve’ even though Savile ‘ruined her life’.

The second victim to bravely waive her anonymity, Bebe Roberts, 62, claimed the ‘sleazy’ Jim’ll Fix It presenter regularly sneaked into bedrooms at a girls' boarding school and once assaulted her when she was 15 and made a lewd proposition.

She said: ‘I did not know what he was like until he did that. There were girls in there who were quite terrified of him.’
---
much more at the link

I always thought he was a creepy man, even as a child. Interestingly he was a good friend to Prince Charles.

Me too, I couldnt stand him. If the rumours are true, how smug does he look in all the pics of him surrounded by children with a cigar in his mouth! I've done loads of searching on the net, reading comments on articles and forums etc and there could possibly be lots more to come out involving other famous/important people. jmo

I always thought he was gay...turns out I was wrong.

My father abused both me and my sister and neither of us spoke out until after he died. I can understand why these women kept it a secret until now. I know both my sister and I felt no one would believe us and it wasn’t until one of us spoke the other felt brave enough to speak out.

Me too, I couldnt stand him. If the rumours are true, how smug does he look in all the pics of him surrounded by children with a cigar in his mouth! I've done loads of searching on the net, reading comments on articles and forums etc and there could possibly be lots more to come out involving other famous/important people. jmo

Those pictures make me shiver now, I can't look at them without wondering how many more people are out there who have yet to come forward and speak out.

I was sexually abused by my piano teacher aged 8-11.I told my nanna but the blame was on me. This kind of thing was almost accepted in the 1970s. I believed it was my fault, even to this day. I always "knew" JS was dodgy

I was sexually abused by my piano teacher aged 8-11.I told my nanna but the blame was on me. This kind of thing was almost accepted in the 1970s. I believed it was my fault, even to this day. I always "knew" JS was dodgy

I'm so sorry your nanna didn't believe you *hugs*, my grandad was the same he still refuses to believe us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back