NYC gym teacher claims 6-year-old student beat him up

Reader

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/nyc-gym-teacher-claims-6-old-student-beat-195314203.html

At 5-foot-10 and 220 pounds, gym teacher John Webster is not a slight figure. But the former college football player claims a 50-pound, 6-year-old student physically assaulted him and sent him into therapy.

The New York Post reports that Webster fractured his ankle and injured his knee, all at the hands of 4-foot-2 Rodrigo Carpio. Walker says he now has to wear a brace on his right leg.

"It's sort of like an angel-devil sort of thing," Webster, 27, said of Rodrigo. The boy "looks like an angel, but then, all of a sudden, that halo turns into horns. It's been a nightmare. It's embarrassing. It's humiliating."

More at link......

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/nyc-gym-teacher-claims-6-old-student-beat-195314203.html

At 5-foot-10 and 220 pounds, gym teacher John Webster is not a slight figure. But the former college football player claims a 50-pound, 6-year-old student physically assaulted him and sent him into therapy.

The New York Post reports that Webster fractured his ankle and injured his knee, all at the hands of 4-foot-2 Rodrigo Carpio. Walker says he now has to wear a brace on his right leg.

"It's sort of like an angel-devil sort of thing," Webster, 27, said of Rodrigo. The boy "looks like an angel, but then, all of a sudden, that halo turns into horns. It's been a nightmare. It's embarrassing. It's humiliating."

More at link......

I bet.

More at link......

A few years ago my 4 year old grandaughter gave me a bruise that didn't heal for a month, and I was a LOT bigger than her. Never underestimate the strength/anger of someone smaller.

I realize the word "anger" may have some wondering. Well, this kid was angry at me because I got sick of her pooping in her diaper at that age and told her so. She hit me with whatever came to hand. This kid was out of control since her parents had never tried to control her. She used to lay in the middle of the kitchen floor kicking and screaming while her parents stepped over her. They said if they ignored her the behavior would stop - NOT. At any rate, when she kicked me, I made her sit on the couch through sheer force and she fell asleep.

Point being - never think it couldn't happen, because it does. Ever heard of whirling dervish?

If you have worked in the schools as I have, this is very believable. I have seen very tiny children attack like demons. I have seen them attack with scissors, heads, hands, elbows and spit. And the teachers are only allowed to control them to certain extent. I was in a third grade classroom where the child constantly kicked the teacher. One day she asked me to take him to the Principle's office (the woman constantly defended the child) and he attacked her. I accidentally started laughing. (Oops) But he was finally expelled and sent for medical treatment. I know I will be the opposite opinion again....which is why I don't post much....LOL....but I feel sorry for the man! Besides.....look at the SIZE of the dad.....probably been training the kiddo since birth!

Where are you seeing the kid's dad, Sheromom? The big guy in the link in the opening post is the injured teacher.

It's not just weight, it's also that the participants in the scuffle don't have a similar mindset and similar goals.
If it's a regular fistfight where both are trying to hurt each other the bigger one has more of an advantage than if it's an enraged child who attempts to hurt the teacher and a teacher who is just trying to calm the situation down but doesn't feel like he can beat down on the child and really use his size for advantage. No doubt most teachers could beat the **** out of most six year olds but, well, they can't.

Anyone who has parented a toddler knows that this is not a joke. I have been head butted in the face, bitten, tripped, knocked over, and stepped on. And my kids weren't even that difficult! I know parents of children with special needs who have been seriously injured by their own young kids.

ITA with Donjeta - when one person is trying to calm the situation and can't hit back and the other is willing to hurt themselves hurting the one, it's going to get ugly fast.

Poor guy. Hurt on the job and the butt of rude people's jokes.

I'm not excusing this kid for what he did ...his parents seem to be doing a good job at defending him but I must say IMO, the incident appears to be a little exaggerated.

I could believe the injury when the boy kicked him in the knee and it dislocated his knee cap but this 220 pound teacher will need therapy because of this? Seriously?

Maybe teaching shouldn't have been his career choice. My goodness there is so much worse going on in the world. :what:

I'm surprised no one has commented on the child's stance in his photo. Someone is teaching this child to fight but not teaching him when it's appropriate (to defend yourself from an attack). I lay the blame on the parents (unless this child has some condition that causes him to be angry/combative).

I'm not excusing this kid for what he did ...his parents seem to be doing a good job at defending him but I must say IMO, the incident appears to be a little exaggerated.

I could believe the injury when the boy kicked him in the knee and it dislocated his knee cap but this 220 pound teacher will need therapy because of this? Seriously?

Maybe teaching shouldn't have been his career choice. My goodness there is so much worse going on in the world. :what:

Hmmm...I took it as physical therapy, which would be normal after an injury like that. I guess some took it as psychological therapy. I wonder which it really is.

ETA: I see in another article that he is seeking damages for emotional issues. He shouldn't be made fun of for the physical injury, but I would agree that the lawsuit is probably just another person seeing $$$. He has been ordered back to work and doesn't really feel like going, IMHO.

That <modsnip> has no business being in public school. They should send his butt home until he has mastered the simple things, like sit, stay , no hitting, kicking or biting. He's a wild animal. My dog behaves better!

I worked in the inner city for many years with children where violence was rampant. We had 5 teachers out on assault leave (arm broken when kids crushed her arm in a door, pushed down stairs, etc). I had a kindergartener tell me he was "gonna bust a cap in my azz" when I stopped him from attacking another child. He meant it and i know he had access to guns in his home.

Violence is rampant in schools today. Our school district responded by sending a lawyer to tell us how to deal with a violent child. We were told to respond by raising both hands in the air, so that the child couldn't accuse us of touching them because the school would be sued for simply touching them, pushing them away, or defending ourselves.

This is a large part of why I would not teach in public schools again. I did not spend years and thousands of dollars to get an education so that I could be abused and attacked and then be sued for merely defending myself (or lied about, even I never even touched the child).

Anyone who has parented a toddler knows that this is not a joke. I have been head butted in the face, bitten, tripped, knocked over, and stepped on. And my kids weren't even that difficult! I know parents of children with special needs who have been seriously injured by their own young kids.

I was hit w/ a padlock by a toddler that I was babysitting years ago. He gave me a black eye and a bloody nose, and the mother laughed her head off when he did it. Obviously, I never babysat for her again.

A child doesn't have to be big to do damage.

This is a large part of why I would not teach in public schools again. I did not spend years and thousands of dollars to get an education so that I could be abused and attacked and then be sued for merely defending myself (or lied about, even I never even touched the child).

Ditto.

When I was student teaching, a fourth-grader got so mad at me that he punched the chalkboard and broke his hand. He informed me that he was going to punch my face, but he decided to "show mercy" to me. Students threw objects at me, kicked my desk, cussed me, and threatened me on a daily basis during my teaching experience. :maddening:

Good luck to all teachers working in today's school system.

I was hit w/ a padlock by a toddler that I was babysitting years ago. He gave me a black eye and a bloody nose, and the mother laughed her head off when he did it. Obviously, I never babysat for her again.

Ditto.

When I was student teaching, a fourth-grader got so mad at me that he punched the chalkboard and broke his hand. He informed me that he was going to punch my face, but he decided to "show mercy" to me. Students threw objects at me, kicked my desk, cussed me, and threatened me on a daily basis during my teaching experience. :maddening:

Good luck to all teachers working in today's school system.

You and swamp mama are brave heroes. Scary what kids must be learning at home to have such aggression!

That <modnsip> has no business being in public school. They should send his butt home until he has mastered the simple things, like sit, stay , no hitting, kicking or biting. He's a wild animal. My dog behaves better!

It's scary that some parents even laugh when their kids do stuff like this. Sometimes I see kids in public and I want to spank them. Someone needs to! I remember being in a grocery line and trying to make conversation with a toddler in a cart and the brat tried to kick me and told me "shut the eff up stupid!" I fear for the future!

There must be an increase in child onset mental illness or dope and booze in adults at home. It's not normal behavior at all. Too bad no states have any money to set up special schools with extra specially trained teachers, aides, counselors, etc. Where they get full curriculum. The troubled and older ones with juvie records are thrown in with the rest and expected to behave but some of them can't.

There must be an increase in child onset mental illness or dope and booze in adults at home. It's not normal behavior at all. Too bad no states have any money to set up special schools with extra specially trained teachers, aides, counselors, etc. Where they get full curriculum. The troubled and older ones with juvie records are thrown in with the rest and expected to behave but some of them can't.

Kids like this don't need a curriculum, they need basic obedience training. I say send them home, make a parent or legal guardian teach them to sit, keep hands & feet to themselves, no biting. Once they've mastered that ...then and only then should academic teaching be attempted. If this <modsnip> was doing this to a teacher, can you imagine what his peers are having to deal with? His parents think he's so wonderful....let them educate him!

<SNIP>
BBM

My niece's 18 month-old was playing with her and headbutted her in just the right (or wrong) spot and gave her a concussion. They definitely don't have to be big.

Poor teacher.

Some 15 yr old boy punched a female teacher in the face yesterday (at my daughter's school) The teacher had to go to the hospital because of all the blood, and the boy was arrested. Then the school was in lock down while the drug dogs came in. This was all started b/c the teacher wanted to move his seat b/c he was talking too much. It won't be long before we have to put teacher's behind bullet proof glass to teach class.

Kids like this don't need a curriculum, they need basic obedience training. I say send them home, make a parent or legal guardian teach them to sit, keep hands & feet to themselves, no biting. Once they've mastered that ...then and only then should academic teaching be attempted. If this <modnsip> was doing this to a teacher, can you imagine what his peers are having to deal with? His parents think he's so wonderful....let them educate him!

I doubt the parents would teach them anything about behaving in class. They'd probably sue the school for not letting their child attend. When my daughter was in high school students would be suspended for their behavior and you would either see them walking around during the day or they saw it as a vacation.

Maybe the parents should have to go to a special class WITH the child and help the teacher teach their kid how to behave, sit still, listen, etc.

I doubt the parents would teach them anything about behaving in class. They'd probably sue the school for not letting their child attend. When my daughter was in high school students would be suspended for their behavior and you would either see them walking around during the day or they saw it as a vacation.

Maybe the parents should have to go to a special class WITH the child and help the teacher teach their kid how to behave, sit still, listen, etc.

I think they absolutely should have to be part of the punishment. Like in-school suspension where they have to walk the halls with mom or dad, even go to public lunch but have to sit with their parent. Once mom or dad have to forego a days worth of pay, and the kid has to endure the embarrassment of being with their parent at school, maybe that is enough incentive. But I totally agree that parents who let their kids run amok could care less what kind of havoc those kids wreak on others. They view school as their "break" from their kids. Inconvenience the parents and they will hopefully overhaul their attitude about parenting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back