728 users online (116 members and 612 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

House Bill 431 - "Emma's Law"

Bill would change parole law on crimes against children

Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:18 am

The Banner Press - Brenham, Tx

A Texas House member is pushing a bill that would allow the state parole board to delay considering some cases involving crimes against children.

Rep. Debbie Riddle’s office said the bill she plans to introduce is in response to the aftermath of 4-year-old Emma Thompson’s murder in 2009. Riddle represents District 150 in Houston.

Thompson died from injuries which authorities said she received in a beating by Lucas Coe, who was later sentenced to life in prison.

Thompson’s mother, Abigail Young, was sentenced to 20 years after being convicted of reckless injury to a child, a third-degree felony. Coe was Young’s former boyfriend.

Read more - Subscription required:

http://www.brenhambanner.com/news/bi...a4bcf887a.html

State of Texas - House Bill 431 - Tx State Representative Debbie Riddle

This is a direct Link to House Bill (HB) 431
    It is the full text of the 'Introduced Version' of hopefully "Emma's Law":

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...l/HB00431I.htm
    State of Texas Legis. - HB 431 - Introduced Version - Bill Text --
    Texas State Representative Debbie Riddle

83R2275 KCR-D

By: Riddle H.B. No. 431

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
    AN ACT
    relating to the eligibility of certain inmates convicted of injury
    to a child for release to mandatory supervision.
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
    SECTION 1. Section 508.149(a), Government Code, as amended
    by Chapters 1 (S.B. 24) and 122 (H.B. 3000), Acts of the 82nd
    Legislature, Regular Session, 2011, is reenacted and amended to
    read as follows:
    (a) An inmate may not be released to mandatory supervision
    if the inmate is serving a sentence for or has been previously
    convicted of:
    (1) an offense for which the judgment contains an
    affirmative finding under Section 3g(a)(2), Article 42.12, Code of
    Criminal Procedure;
    (2) a first degree felony or a second degree felony
    under Section 19.02, Penal Code;
    (3) a capital felony under Section 19.03, Penal Code;
    (4) a first degree felony or a second degree felony
    under Section 20.04, Penal Code;
    (5) an offense under Section 21.11, Penal Code;
    (6) a felony under Section 22.011, Penal Code;
    (7) a first degree felony or a second degree felony
    under Section 22.02, Penal Code;
    (8) a first degree felony under Section 22.021, Penal
    Code;
    (9) a first degree felony under Section 22.04, Penal
    Code;
    (9-a) a second degree felony or a third degree felony
    under Section 22.04, Penal Code, if the victim of the offense is a
    child;
    (10) a first degree felony under Section 28.02, Penal
    Code;
    (11) a second degree felony under Section 29.02, Penal
    Code;
    (12) a first degree felony under Section 29.03, Penal
    Code;
    (13) a first degree felony under Section 30.02, Penal
    Code;
    (14) a felony for which the punishment is increased
    under Section 481.134 or Section 481.140, Health and Safety Code;
    (15) an offense under Section 43.25, Penal Code;
    (16) an offense under Section 21.02, Penal Code;
    (17) a first degree felony under Section 15.03, Penal
    Code;
    (18) an offense under Section 43.05, Penal Code; [or]
    (19) an offense under Section 20A.02, Penal Code; or
    (20) [(18)] an offense under Section 20A.03, Penal
    Code.
    SECTION 2. The change in law made by this Act applies only
    to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act.
    An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is
    governed by the law in effect on the date the offense was committed,
    and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose. For
    purposes of this section, an offense was committed before the
    effective date of this Act if any element of the offense occurred
    before that date.
    SECTION 3. To the extent of any conflict, this Act prevails
    over another Act of the 83rd Legislature, Regular Session, 2013,
    relating to nonsubstantive additions to and corrections in enacted
    codes.
    SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

I urge all Texas residents to contact your legislator(s) and ask he or she to support Texas State Representative (TSR) Debbie Riddle's House Bill 431 re "Emma's Law". Reference HB 431.

I contacted my State Representative Tuesday and she is aware of HB 431 and supports it. She will be working with State Rep. Debbie Riddle on this very important bill.

If you do not know who represents you in your District, you can find out at this Link and also how to send an e-mail to the appropriate
    person(s).

Questions 1 and 2 will give you instructions! Very easy!

Texas Legislature Online:
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Resources/FAQ.aspx#2

Texas residents, thank you for taking the time to contact your District representative(s).

Please remember that precious Emma Thompson (barely 4 years-old) died a brutal, horrific death. Her mother, Abigail Young, became eligible for parole review, after serving only 19 months of a 20 year sentence. Young's parole was denied in August, 2012.

However, as per current Texas law, Abigail Young will be up for parole review every year.

It would be nice for the Texas Board of Pardons & Paroles to have Emma's Law for a possible 5 year off-set versus every year in felony cases involving children.

This law would apply to convicted felons with felony convictions involving children.

Please contact your State Representative . . . do this for precious Emma Thompson.

"Emma's Law" would help serve justice for many children who have been abused or murdered in Texas. Those convicted of felony crimes involving children should serve their sentence and not be eligible for parole every year. Children are the innocent victims!

Precious Emma Thompson . . . gone . . . . . but not forgotten!

~~~
    Photos courtesy: Amanda Young Mathews (Emma's maternal aunt)

Note: The photo on the left of Emma was taken on Easter Sunday, 2009, at the family ranch in Brenham, Tx. As you can see, Emma is among the beautiful Texas Bluebonnets.

The photo on the right was taken of Emma at Christmas, 2008.

It was Emma's last Christmas and last Easter!
    Last edited by Ann-Tx; 01-16-2013 at 09:20 PM.

In regard to HB 431, the following has been posted by Laurie Thompson, Emma's paternal grandmother, on Justice For Emma Thompson facebook:

1/16/13 - Laurie Thompson: Unfortunately, as written, the bill will become effective on September 1, 2013 and will not impact the parole consideration for Abigail Young. She will continue to be eligible for parole each and every year of her sentence. We are looking to see if this can be addressed before passage of the bill. I will keep you posted.

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justi...03731323059815
    Facebook: Justice For Emma Thompson
    Last edited by Ann-Tx; 01-17-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Add date: 1/16/13
    ~ ~ ~ Rest in peace precious Emma Thompson ~ ~ ~

This is so sad for the family, having to relive this every year. I can't believe she was first eligible after 2 years. That amazes me in a bad way!
    "He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it.
    ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

My confession... I

I am willing to believe that was part of the influence peddling surrounding her part in this beyond heinous crime.

I commend those who brought Coe to justice, but Abby's role was worse. imvho.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Tx View Post
    Hi! I'm a new member here.

I wrote a comment and accidentally poofed it. Then I wrote a second comment and clicked preview. The page froze. So I lost that comment.

Later today I will try a third comment.

I have followed the Emma Thompson case as it unfolded and I know Emma's maternal family well.

I will never, ever forget Emma. She has a very special place in my heart forever!

I hope to share some info about the possibility of "Emma's Law."

Need to go for now. Will be back later today.

Emma . . . gone . . . but not forgotten!

Welcome! My heart goes out to everyone who truly loved Emma and didnt feel she was disposable.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

All of us need to warm up for the next letter writing campaign to the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole...

I am hoping we can dissect this case and the primary caregiver role here. I think we see it time and time again that the person primarily responsible for keeping the child safe receives much lighter punishment than the perp. I think we see at least two issues here-the prior TX law which makes Abby eligible for parole every year so that the victim's family is caught in an infinite loop, reliving this crime year after year...and imo, the ridiculously light charges and sentence Abby received for delivering her daughter to a monster and actively deceiving those who could have saved Emma from her murderer.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie Vi View Post
    This is so sad for the family, having to relive this every year. I can't believe she was first eligible after 2 years. That amazes me in a bad way!
    Hi, Moxie Vi!

I agree with you. It is very sad for the family and also a couple of non-family members (very close to the case and testified for the Prosecution [for Emma] during Abigail Young's trial and Lucas Coe's trial) who were invited to meet with the Texas Board of Pardons & Parole re Young's parole review.

Actually Abigail Young became eligible for parole review in February, 2012 which is 19 months after being sentenced to 20 years in prison in July, 2010.

Considering the crime, serving 19 months and becoming eligible for parole review is outrageous! Just my opinion!

At the time of her sentencing, the Houston and surrounding area media reported that Young would have to serve 5 years before she would become eligible for parole review.

Due to good behavior and work credits, she became eligible for parole review after serving only 19 months versus 5 years.

In Texas, the parole review process by the Texas Board of Pardons & Parole (TBPP) is a long one. A decision to not grant parole was rendered by TBPP the latter part of August, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    All of us need to warm up for the next letter writing campaign to the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole...

I am hoping we can dissect this case and the primary caregiver role here. I think we see it time and time again that the person primarily responsible for keeping the child safe receives much lighter punishment than the perp. I think we see at least two issues here-the prior TX law which makes Abby eligible for parole every year so that the victim's family is caught in an infinite loop, reliving this crime year after year...and imo, the ridiculously light charges and sentence Abby received for delivering her daughter to a monster and actively deceiving those who could have saved Emma from her murderer.
    Hi, Believe09!

Thank you for the warm welcome (in your earlier comment).

Yes, I think we all need to be thinking about the next letter writing campaign to hopefully ensure Abigail Young is denied parole when she is up for parole review this year (2013) again! On a local level, I am "getting my ducks in a row" and I will spear head a letter writing campaign locally as well as a few places on the Internet.

Without a doubt, the letter writing campaign by Websleuth members, Hinky Meter members, Reality Chatter members and the guests to each of the aforementioned forums as well as the Facebook page, Justice for Emma Thompson, that Websleuth member, LCoastMom, set up and monitored closely was a huge success.

Also, Emma's maternal aunt, Amanda Young Mathews, has a Facebook page, Emma ForJustice, which garnered many letters. In the greater Houston and Brenham/Washington County, TX (Abigail Young's home town/county) areas, there was a huge letter writing campaign against parole for Young.

Abigail Young's now former childhood best friend who now resides in Oklahoma, spear headed a letter writing campaign to oppose Young's parole in Oklahoma and beyond.

As you may or may not know, Abigail Young's paternal grandparents and some paternal family members reside in Oklahoma.

Folks in the Brenham and Houston areas are geared up and ready to start the letter writing process against Young's parole once again.

Folks world wide wrote the Texas Department of Pardons & Paroles (TDPP) on behalf of Emma requesting that parole be denied for Abigail Young.

The letter writing campaign was a huge success. I hope all of the folks who supported justice for Emma by writing a letter opposing parole for her mother, Abigail Young, will write a letter again when Young is eligible for parole review in 2013.

It is possible that Young will be up for parole review as early as the latter part of this month, February, 2013. Last year she became eligible for parole review in Feb, 2012.

However, the decision by the TDPP regarding Young's parole would not be rendered until the latter part of August, 2013.

One thing is for certain: Precious Emma Thompson has great support here at Websleuths! Without a doubt, the WS members will do the best to ensure Abigail Young is not released on parole!

Emma captured the hearts of many. Strangers world wide came to "love" the precious barely 4-year-old red haired child who was brutally raped and beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend, Lucas Coe!

It is unfortunate that Young was found guilty of the lesser charge of reckless and serious bodily injury to a child by omission. Had Young been found guilty of the more serious charge of injury to a child by omission, she could have been sentenced to prison for life.

However, the jury recommended that Young be sentenced to the maximum allowed by law for the lesser charge which is 20 years and a $10,000 fine.

Judge Shaver (presiding judge at Young's trial) sentenced Young to 20 years and a $10,000 fine.
    _______

http://www.khou.com/news/Spring-mom-...-98368119.html
    KHOU Houston, Tx 7/13/10

Abigail Young gets 20 year-sentence for failing to protect her daughter

Snipped:

Jurors Monday convicted Young of a lesser charge of reckless and serious bodily injury to a child by omission. They rejected a more serious charge of injury to a child by omission, which could have sent her to prison for life.
    Last edited by Ann-Tx; 02-05-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Keep us posted on when we should start sending the letters and the deadlines.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

believe09, I will be glad to let everyone know when Young becomes eligible for parole in 2013.

State of Texas - HB 431 read & referred to Corrections Committee

On Monday, 2-11-13, HB 431 was read for the first time and referred to the Corrections Committee.

You may recall HB 431 was filed by Texas State Representative Debbie Riddle on 1-10-13.

http://www.journals.house.state.tx.u...AL.PDF#page=17
    State of Texas - House Journal - Page 307 -- 83rd Legislature, Regular Session

HB 431 (By Riddle), Relating to the eligibility of certain inmates convicted of injury to a child for release to mandatory supervision.
    To Corrections.

State of Texas - HB 431 Status

The following status info is from my TLO (Texas Legislature Online) account. I can not Link because it is password protected.

Status of State of Texas - HB 431:

Bill: HB 431
    Legislative Session: 83(R) Author: Riddle

Actions: (descending date order)
    DescriptionCommentDateTime Journal Page
    H Referred to Corrections 02/11/2013 307
    H Read first time 02/11/2013 307
    H Filed 01/10/2013

State of Texas - HB 431 Public Meeting Notification and other info

Update and other info regarding HB 431.

There will be a public hearing regarding HB 431. The Texas House Committee on Corrections will discuss three House Bills and HB 431 is one of the three. The meeting is scheduled for 2/27/13 at 2:00 p.m. CST in Austin, TX at the Capitol in Room E2.010.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...3022714001.htm
    State of Texas - 83rd Legislature, Regular Session --
    HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES - NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING -- Corrections Committee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The following are the members of Texas House Committee on Corrections who are currently reviewing HB 431.

House Committee on Corrections (C200)

Legislature: 83(R) - 2013
    Appointment Date: 1/8/2013

Clerk: Lesley French
    Phone: (512) 463-0796
    Room: EXT E2.110

Position / Member

Chair: Rep. Tan Parker
    Vice Chair: Rep. James White

Members:
    Rep. Alma Allen
    Rep. Debbie Riddle
    Rep. Toni Rose
    Rep. J. D. Sheffield
    Rep. Steve Toth
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

This link has a picture of each Corrections Committee member and indicates the jurisdiction of the Corrections Committee.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/committ...200&session=83
    Texas House of Representatives - Corrections Committee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can view the schedule of the Corrections Committee here. I called and spoke to a clerk with the Corrections Committee this afternoon.
    There will be 3 HB discussed on 2/27/13. HB 431 is one of the three.

It is a public meeting and one can attend. Also, one can speak to the Committee during the proceedings re HB 431. Prior registration is required if you plan to speak.

Committee Schedules

Corrections

February 27 , 2013 @ 2:00 P.M. or upon final adjourn./recess in room E2.010

http://www.house.state.tx.us/schedul...itteeCode=C200
    Texas House of Representatives - Schedules - Corrections Committee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For your info, when I spoke to the Corrections Committee Clerk, he said that the State of Texas House of Representatives streams
    eight (8) meetings "live" on line. As the meeting time draws near, one can click on under Video on the Homepage of State of Texas Legislature on-line.

Only 8 meetings can be streamed per current system capability. There is a high probability that the Corrections Committee Public Meeting on 2/27/13 will be streamed "live." In the event it is not, one will be able to review in Archives.

This is the Link to the Video/Audio of Live Streams:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/
    State of Texas - House of Representatives - Video/Audio

This is the Link to Broadcast/Archives for the Corrections Committee:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-a...200&session=83
    State of Texas - House of Representatives -- Committee Broadcast Archives 83rd Session - Corrections

Source:
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx
    State of Texas Legislature - Home
    83rd Legislature Regular Session
    Texas Legislature Online

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast