Shannan Gilbert's Remains

LINative13

Reaction score
I need to get something straight as it is very important to me. I was always under the impression that SG's body was being held and MG was unable to take possession of it so she can have a funeral. Now I am hearing that MG can take the body whenever she wants but has opted not to because she is waiting to get the cash together to have a second autopsy done (she has had a decent amount of time to put the scratch together). Does anyone have a straight answer? This is a very important issue to me; everyones input is apprecciated.

The remains of the missing Jersey City woman whose disappearance sparked searches that led to a human dumping ground off Ocean Parkway -- and the belief that a serial killer is on the loose -- have not been returned to her family, her mother said.

On May 1, two years to the day after Shannan Gilbert, 24, disappeared in Oak Beach, her family and their attorney were told by a Suffolk County Medical Examiner official and homicide detectives that her autopsy was inconclusive.

<modsnip>

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ily-seeks-shannan-gilbert-s-remains-1.3858411

I need to get something straight as it is very important to me. I was always under the impression that SG's body was being held and MG was unable to take possession of it so she can have a funeral. Now I am hearing that MG can take the body whenever she wants but has opted not to because she is waiting to get the cash together to have a second autopsy done (she has had a decent amount of time to put the scratch together). Does anyone have a straight answer? This is a very important issue to me; everyones input is apprecciated.

The remains of the missing Jersey City woman whose disappearance sparked searches that led to a human dumping ground off Ocean Parkway -- and the belief that a serial killer is on the loose -- have not been returned to her family, her mother said.

On May 1, two years to the day after Shannan Gilbert, 24, disappeared in Oak Beach, her family and their attorney were told by a Suffolk County Medical Examiner official and homicide detectives that her autopsy was inconclusive.

<modsnip>

I think the part that begins the confusion is "the medical examiner's decision", I believe that "decision" was referring to the "inconclusive" rather than the "decision" of not releasing the body. That confusion continues with Mr. Ray's statements. If you're assuming it was the ME's decision to withhold the body, then the train of thought with JRs comment is that, "If they would just turn over the report, they could get the body." Knowing that it is about the lack of funds, I read Mr. Ray's statement differently. Now I read it is that he requested from the ME the report... 3 times. Although, what I've recently learned about FOIL requests makes me question Mr. Ray not having the info, yet.

There are several sources (both print and video) that we linked here that proved that the family attorney asked that the ME keep her remains to run further testing. There was never any mention of the family paying for independent examinations.

I think the part that begins the confusion is "the medical examiner's decision", I believe that "decision" was referring to the "inconclusive" rather than the "decision" of not releasing the body. That confusion continues with Mr. Ray's statements. If you're assuming it was the ME's decision to withhold the body, then the train of thought with JRs comment is that, "If they would just turn over the report, they could get the body." Knowing that it is about the lack of funds, I read Mr. Ray's statement differently. Now I read it is that he requested from the ME the report... 3 times. Although, what I've recently learned about FOIL requests makes me question Mr. Ray not having the info, yet.

The title of the article is "Frustrated Family Seeks Shannan Gilbert's Remains."

There are several sources (both print and video) that we linked here that proved that the family attorney asked that the ME keep her remains to run further testing. There was never any mention of the family paying for independent examinations.

Apparently that further testing has never been done by the ME. I wonder why. And the testing of the clothing and articles found around the body would be tested by a crime lab associated with the police department, not a ME's office, wouldn't it??

Something doesn't smell right. The attached story speaks for itself. I am surprised that some retired pathologist like Michael Baden hasn't offered his services at a discount. The publicity alone should net him enough money to keep him happy.

Why doesn't Ray pay for the autopsy as an office expense and deduct it from any awards he may get if his charges are proven to be true? Most well heeled lawyers would do that if they see a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Imagine the publicity if another pathologist disagrees with the assessment of the ME? It would put the system back a 100 years.

Why doesn't Suffolk County say enough is enough. Why don't they say if you don't want the body then we will bury it in Potter's Field. I don't think they will be criticized if they did that. What are they going to do, wait 10 years before they dispose of the body?

I was under the impression that the ME was holding the body indefinitely without justification (or atleast justification released to MG or us). I knew they wanted additional testing done; I thought they were unable to get the testing done because the ME would not realease the body.

So, from what I gather now......MG pretty much said "hang onto my dead daughter for me, I gotta get some money together so I can have another autopsy done." I am sorry but that is rediculous....any parents here? Any parents here that would do this? If MG didn't have the money or have atleast made some headway in getting it together by now....I question the motivation. I would have buried my child (God forbid I ever have to do that), instead of leaving her in a drawer for 6 months. Sorry for being blunt, but its the truth. If the lawyer really belived in this case.....don't you think he would have fronted the money already? Maybe it helps him to drag it out as well; keeps his name popping up in the paper every few months.

I am extremely dissappointed in myself for not having an issue so big (to me atleast) inaccurate. I was very upset that the ME would not release the body (or the lie I believed) and it drove me to try and help.

Something doesn't smell right. The attached story speaks for itself. I am surprised that some retired pathologist like Michael Baden hasn't offered his services at a discount. The publicity alone should net him enough money to keep him happy.

Why doesn't Ray pay for the autopsy as an office expense and deduct it from any awards he may get if his charges are proven to be true? Most well heeled lawyers would do that if they see a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Imagine the publicity if another pathologist disagrees with the assessment of the ME? It would put the system back a 100 years.

Why doesn't Suffolk County say enough is enough. Why don't they say if you don't want the body then we will bury it in Potter's Field. I don't think they will be criticized if they did that. What are they going to do, wait 10 years before they dispose of the body?

I agree very strongly with you.

I agree very strongly with you.

Same here. That's why I'm seriously questioning Mr. Ray in all this. I'm a mother, and God forbid my child be where SG is, I would want to bury my child, but I would want the truth first. To have to dig up my child's grave and bury her again... I wouldn't want that pain twice.

I question MG more than JR.
Part of me just wants to think that grief is clouding her judgement. Part of me thinks otherwise. Something just dosent feel right. If I was murdered I think my family would bury me as quickly as they could ... I doubt they would let me lay in a drawer for 10 months.

If she can't afford a funeral for Shannan there are funeral homes that will work with the family to come up with something reasonable.

....MG pretty much said "hang onto my dead daughter for me, I gotta get some money together so I can have another autopsy done."

I'd almost suspect there's got to be a reason behind it. Maybe, for instance, the Gilbert camp is afraid that if they take possession of the body and then conduct an autopsy that reaches different conclusions than what's been found so far, that they'll be accused of tampering with the body in order to reach those conclusions. In other words, that as long as LE has the body, LE can't dispute what another autopsy might find.

The idea that they haven't been able to raise the money for an autopsy is preposterous, I wouldn't believe that at all.

BBM: I've been telling my husband just that for the past two days as this has come up. I would think any number of pathologists would love to give it a shot, just because it's a high profile case and because they may find something the original ME failed to find that would break this whole case wide open.

At least we might know if she was indeed murdered or if it was accidental. Everyone would get some answers.

When Gilbert's remains were found Dec. 13, 2011, in a marshy area behind the gated community she first disappeared from 19 months earlier, former Suffolk police Commissioner Richard Dormer and former Chief of Detectives Dominick Varrone said they believed she had drowned.

The autopsy frustrated Gilbert's mother, Mari, who said publicly that she wanted to have her daughter's remains examined by an independent forensic pathologist after they were released.

But before the body is released, she and her attorney, John Ray, asked the medical examiner's office to preserve Gilbert's body so that further testing could be conducted on the hair and bone marrow. They say those tests were not done. In addition, Ray said they requested testing of clothes and items found with Gilbert's remains to check for foreign substances.

Suffolk police would not comment on the delay in releasing Gilbert's remains to her family, saying it is the medical examiner's decision. Calls to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner's office were not returned.

So far, Ray said, he's put in three requests to the medical examiner asking for reports of the autopsy. He's also asked whether further tests were conducted as requested in May and the whereabouts of Gilbert's remains. He said neither he nor Gilbert's mother have heard anything. Mari Gilbert has also requested her daughter's death certificate, which she has yet to receive. "It's not even so much that this time has passed, because time will pass anyway," Ray said. "It's the utter disdain for the family."

The search for Gilbert in the months after her disappearance led to the discovery of remains of 10 other people in heavy brush off Ocean Parkway. They included that of a toddler, an Asian man in women's clothing and body parts belonging to remains found in Manorville in 2000 and 2003. Half of the remains found along Ocean Parkway during the searches have been identified.

Meanwhile, the Oak Beach house Gilbert was seen running from before she disappeared in 2010 is still on the market. Real estate records show the two-story wood-paneled beach house was listed last year for $439,000 in March but was reduced to $399,999 that September. It was re-listed last week for $375,000.

The 2nd paragraph, "her mother said," could have just been her answering a question and her answer was no. The rest of the quotes were from JR.

I was under the impression that the ME was holding the body indefinitely without justification (or atleast justification released to MG or us). I knew they wanted additional testing done; I thought they were unable to get the testing done because the ME would not realease the body.

So, from what I gather now......MG pretty much said "hang onto my dead daughter for me, I gotta get some money together so I can have another autopsy done." I am sorry but that is rediculous....any parents here? Any parents here that would do this? If MG didn't have the money or have atleast made some headway in getting it together by now....I question the motivation. I would have buried my child (God forbid I ever have to do that), instead of leaving her in a drawer for 6 months. Sorry for being blunt, but its the truth. If the lawyer really belived in this case.....don't you think he would have fronted the money already? Maybe it helps him to drag it out as well; keeps his name popping up in the paper every few months.

I am extremely dissappointed in myself for not having an issue so big (to me atleast) inaccurate. I was very upset that the ME would not release the body (or the lie I believed) and it drove me to try and help.

Maybe in Hollywood they do, but in reality lawyers don't front money. I think you are all jumping the gun on this topic. This thread has gotten too presumptuous...

Maybe in Hollywood they do, but in reality lawyers don't front money. I think you are all jumping the gun on this topic.

Sure they do. Depending on circumstances. I have been incvolved with business negotations where the lawyer has ponied up some money for the client. Jumpign the gun? Its huge atleast to me. Maybe not you, and I respect that. BUt I was so appauled for so long that the ME was preventing SG from a proper ceremony.

I assume the info in the following link is accurate and reliable:

http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?page_id=382

"How to Dispute a Manner of Death Determination"

"STEP 1. If you are a family member, you are entitled to all the autopsy records from the medical examiner. The first step would be to get the records and discuss the decision with the medical examiner (or coroner) who made it. "

So, it seems to me (based on the news report), MG's attorney has tried three times to accomplish "Step 1". And, so now... instead of me believing that the ME is refusing to relinquish the body to the family, I believe the ME is actually refusing to provide the records. (jmo)

Of note... I could be wrong! ;)

I was upset to learn that the family had not hired an independent pathologist! But, I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back