Dog Has Record Litter Of 24 Puppies

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A Neapolitan mastiff in Manea, United Kingdom, has broken a world record by giving birth to a litter of 24 mastiff puppies, according to a report.

Breeders Damian Ward and his girlfriend, Anne Kellegher, had only been expecting their two-year-old mastiff, Tia, to give birth to a maximum of 10 puppies after a scan from a local veterinarian.

When Tia grew so large she could barely move, the couple took the dog to the vets, who decided that an immediate caesarean was vital. Two hours later, Tia had given birth to the record 24 puppies.

Four of the puppies were too weak and died but the remaining 20 are thriving.

All but three of the pups are up for sale. They are worth more than $1,800 each.

Tia's achievement is now likely to set two records in the Guinness World Records -- the biggest litter and that of the most surviving puppies.

See the puppies here!

I raise English Mastiffs. And I can tell you this is quite a feat. I actually invented a puppy feeder when I had 18 pups on the ground at once. Wish I knew how to reach them to tell them how to make one. My vet uses my invention all the time. I have a feeling they are really going to need it. (When you have to hand feed or even hand supplement this many puppies, the chore never ends because by the time you finish feeding the last one, it is time to feed the first one again.) For those of you that may not be familiar with mastiffs, English mastiff pups gain a pound a day for six weeks. so you can imagine how much you have to feed! Poor folks!!!!!! and Poor Tia who is too young to be having pups to begin with!!!!!

article

Slideshow

In picture number 9 you can see how incredibly big these dogs are, and they are still just welpens (nursing pups).

I know a family who has one (he was a rescue), and the dog looks incredibly intimidating because of his size. The head is HUGE in circumference....bigger than my own, for sure. Males can exceed 200 pounds.
Amazing animals.

One of my sister's males, Bamm Bamm weighed in over 300 lbs. he was a Grand Champion. My Zeus is only 240!

Poor mama dog. I wonder how she's doing. My heart goes out to these people, two years ago our mama dog gave birth to a litter of 5. I remember vividly how time consuming that was feeding, holding, cleaning up after them, vet checks etc. etc. I wish them all the best !

CJ78 said:
Poor mama dog. I wonder how she's doing. My heart goes out to these people, two years ago our mama dog gave birth to a litter of 5. I remember vividly how time consuming that was feeding, holding, cleaning up after them, vet checks etc. etc. I wish them all the best !

For our mastiff pups, they get the first vet check at one week old, we bring them into the office in a large box. By week two it is two boxes, by week three, we carry one pup in under each arm. By week four, it is one pup at a atime, for endless trips to the car! LOL! they grow so fast!!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back