Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: VA - Bryan Glenn, 17, Fairfax, 1 Oct 2012

This is a parent's worst nightmare-what's most shocking to me is that he was only found a week after he went missing, by a volunteer search party, after LE searches were unsuccessful, in the same park where his vehicle was found, & it didn't sound like the vehicle was properly searched, before being turned over to the family. Whether it turns out to be a homicide or suicide, I don't think this was treated properly...& I can't even imagine the pain his family must be experiencing...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thistle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMama View Post
    I have been following WS for a couple of months now.
    I don't know if I can continue.
    I get invested in the cases and then BAM! horrible endings.
    I followed several closely over this time and only two had a good ending.
    I'm thankful they found him, but so pained for this family.
    I think back on the year my son was a senior. We were so excited!
    Senior pictures, college plans, sports, final Homecoming, final Prom, Sr trips, etc.
    All so much fun and such milestones... now this family is left without those things they have all looked forward to. The effort put into raising a child to be a good person, and it's all over now.
    How do you long-timers find a way to cope with these feelings?
    I don't want to quit, it would make me feel like I was just pretending these things don't happen, but I don't know how to process this and not let it take over my feelings. Ugh.

I think we can all agree that at times, we are left hurting, confused, frustrated, angry, etc. However, I had an experience in one case here that left me elated, relieved, happy, and grateful. I try to balance the yin/yang.

Sometimes I have to take a break. I was depressed last night and felt really unsettled and I think it had a lot to do with Bryan's body being found.

But here I am today, back at it. We all share something in common on this site, I don't know quite what it is but I know that if I were to ask 10 people closest to me if they would register and contribute here,their answer would be no. We are special!
    "Everything is ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end."

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LivingJuicy For This Useful Post:

According to a FB post by his brother they are doing an autopsy and he will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. There has also been sites set up for donations of anything from basic groceries to donations towards his funeral and the costs of the Private Investigator that was hired.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tschlottman For This Useful Post:

Well, I for one am happy that they hired a PI. Something just doesn't sit right with me. I can't shake the feeling that Bryan went somewhere between WTW and the DD. That he met up with someone else, bought donuts and water to share...then something happened and he ended going to a park which is just (maybe) an 1/8th of a mile from the donut shop. Then he parks his car along the curb...maybe the spots were all full with commuter cars... and he winds up dying 3/4 of a mile from his car down a wooded path.

Today, I measured the distance from the Rt 50 entrance, where I saw the police last Weds., to where Rt 50 crosses Pickett. That distance, presumably similar to that of the path, is no more than one full mile. Then From Rt 50 to the entrance of the park itself, the distance is negligible at maybe two city blocks. I just don't see how the police walking/biking/motoring from west to east and those walking/biking/motoring from east to west didn't meet up. It can't be more than a half mile to that middle point and that must mean that those coming from the Rt 50 side didn't even go down the path a half mile or they would have found Bryan. Sounds like each group only went a little more than a 1/4 mile from each direction.

I don't know that path though and if it is winding, diagonal or straight and how many branches go North to South and visa versa but...I just don't understand how they missed him.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

I am not familiar with that portion of the path but am very familiar with the portion from Prosperity Ave to the baseball fields at 236/495. It does have some turns but I don't think it's very windy and is pretty much a "straight" trail with very few paths leading off of it. The ones that do usually lead to a parking area or ball park etc. A few houses have their own little worn paths from their backyards to the trail as well. The woods on either side can be very dense and over grown and if someone were to stand perfectly still in them a little ways off the path it could be easy to miss them especially if they were wearing darker colored clothes - they would blend in well with the trees and shadows.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tschlottman For This Useful Post:

Nor I. I mean, they had dogs in there, they had a helicoptor, police on motorbikes...at the start of the search on Monday, Bryan's Dad, who was so grateful to see how many people showed up to help their family, seemed convinced that we would find evidence that Bryan had been abducted. So we were focused on looking for Arizona Peach Tea cans, Monster Energy drink cans and stuff like that. No one really expected to find is body there. To think that it's been there all week, with baseball games going on, and people walking and biking on the trail -- it hurts to my very soul. I am just grateful to the Lord that it was a group of parents who found Bryan, and not one of the groups of teens. I hate to say it but I'm glad I didn't find him. My own 15 1/2 yr old son made a suicide attempt on Sept. 2nd. I still feel like I am in someone else's nightmare, but I'm not, it's my reality. Bryan's Mom, Dad, and brother are now in the full nightmare. Everyone said Bryan was a kind, nice person who was popular at school -- a football player, on the Homecoming Court, etc. Someone in one of the many comment sections of various news articles indicated Bryan was under pressure at home. Well isn't everyone? It's just as a previous poster said, depression is a fickle, tricky illness that is often hard to recognize -- and moreover is often difficult to differentiate between normal teen mood swings. If someone had to me my son would do this, I would've said no, not him, perhaps one of the other kids but not him. He was sinking into a deep depression right under my nose. He had been bullied for years and I did everything I could to help him. It's hard to intervene and help if the person isn't being upfront with you. I am grateful to the Lord that I have a second chance to help my son. I am deeply hurt that the Glenn family does not. The only comfort out of any of this is that the community and neighbors have surrounded this family in a big way. They won't be going through this gut wrenching sorrow alone. Why didn't the police find his body when it really wasn't far off the path -- you could almost see it. I can't believe those dogs couldn't pick up his scent. sigh

The family and LE may have more information than we do, as far as manner of death. Perhaps Bryan left a note of some kind.

Honestly, there seems to be so many suicides among young people lately, I can't say it will shock me if Bryan took his own life.

Stressful times we live in; and no one ever knows what is in the mind of another, no matter how close they may be.
    Just my opinion, of course.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Nor I. I mean, they had dogs in there, they had a helicoptor, police on motorbikes...at the start of the search on Monday, Bryan's Dad, who was so grateful to see how many people showed up to help their family, seemed convinced that we would find evidence that Bryan had been abducted. So we were focused on looking for Arizona Peach Tea cans, Monster Energy drink cans and stuff like that. No one really expected to find is body there. To think that it's been there all week, with baseball games going on, and people walking and biking on the trail -- it hurts to my very soul. I am just grateful to the Lord that it was a group of parents who found Bryan, and not one of the groups of teens. I hate to say it but I'm glad I didn't find him. My own 15 1/2 yr old son made a suicide attempt on Sept. 2nd. I still feel like I am in someone else's nightmare, but I'm not, it's my reality. Bryan's Mom, Dad, and brother are now in the full nightmare. Everyone said Bryan was a kind, nice person who was popular at school -- a football player, on the Homecoming Court, etc. Someone in one of the many comment sections of various news articles indicated Bryan was under pressure at home. Well isn't everyone? It's just as a previous poster said, depression is a fickle, tricky illness that is often hard to recognize -- and moreover is often difficult to differentiate between normal teen mood swings. If someone had to me my son would do this, I would've said no, not him, perhaps one of the other kids but not him. He was sinking into a deep depression right under my nose. He had been bullied for years and I did everything I could to help him. It's hard to intervene and help if the person isn't being upfront with you. I am grateful to the Lord that I have a second chance to help my son. I am deeply hurt that the Glenn family does not. The only comfort out of any of this is that the community and neighbors have surrounded this family in a big way. They won't be going through this gut wrenching sorrow alone. Why didn't the police find his body when it really wasn't far off the path -- you could almost see it. I can't believe those dogs couldn't pick up his scent. sigh
    God Bless You for sharing your personal story. Bryan's family will blame themselves regardless of the situation. I pray they will receive the help and guidance they will need to eventually cope with this horrible tragedy. It's going to take time, support, and God's grace. Bless them Lord, bless them.

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rosesfromangels For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Hugs phantom. For you and your son.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LivingJuicy For This Useful Post:

I want you all to know that you have changed my life for the better. As a Woodson mom, I feel that the two authorities--Woodson's administration and the Fairfax County police--failed, and these are the people to whom I entrust my children every day when they are out of my sight.
    You are here, part of a huge group that pulled together to combine their intellect, time and resources, not just to help the Glenns, but to help me as I wrestled with so many questions and fear. It is what sustains my hope and keeps me from despair.
    I wanted you to know. I thank God for you.

If by chance the Glenn's ever read here, I want them to know that Bryan hasn't been forgotten, even by strangers.

I'll still keep reading and stopping in..

RIP Bryan. =(

20. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to LivingJuicy For This Useful Post:

Same here LivingJuicy. There are some people, even though you've never met them, stay with you. Bryan is definitely one of those people.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    Same here LivingJuicy. There are some people, even though you've never met them, stay with you. Bryan is definitely one of those people.
    I would definitely have to agree with that statement. I will think of him whenever I go to WTW or by Thaiss Park just like I think of Melissa Brennan when I am in the Ft. B area.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tschlottman For This Useful Post:

WJLA just reported that "authorities" confirm that the body is that of Bryan Glenn. So, perhaps the autopsy is complete? http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/10...say-80847.html

At the bottom of the article it states, "This is a developing story. More to come."

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

A fairly good summary/update here:
    http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012...nn-ar-2273689/

Waiting on ME officially announcement.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

I have to admit I'm a little impatient for the ME to make at least a preliminary announcement. I hope they do announce it but would understand if they don't. It will probably be at least another 2 weeks until they get all the toxicology and everything back. At this point I think it's funny that they are still saying there is nothing suspicious about his disappearance/death - just from what I've heard it seems rather suspicious to me... If it does come back as a homicide then FFX City and County will have to work even harder to repair the damage to their reputation due to the way this case has been handled.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tschlottman For This Useful Post:

That report should be able to estimate Time of Death (within a few days)...based on environmental factors and the condition of body tissue, etc.

WARNING GRAPHIC ALERT
    The oddest aspect to this entire case is that, for seven days, no one alerted to Bryan being there. It was still fairly warm during the days from the 1st to the 8th and there was that one big rain storm...maybe two... there are many wild animals in the wooded areas there (birds, fox, raccoon, even coyotes have been spotted in Vienna) and insects galore. Something is very wrong here...someone should have been overwhelmed by the scent...especially the bloodhounds at 72 hours into his disappearance.

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Just K View Post
    That report should be able to estimate Time of Death (within a few days)...based on environmental factors and the condition of body tissue, etc.

WARNING GRAPHIC ALERT
    The oddest aspect to this entire case is that, for seven days, no one alerted to Bryan being there. It was still fairly warm during the days from the 1st to the 8th and there was that one big rain storm...maybe two... there are many wild animals in the wooded areas there (birds, fox, raccoon, even coyotes have been spotted in Vienna) and insects galore. Something is very wrong here...someone should have been overwhelmed by the scent...especially the bloodhounds at 72 hours into his disappearance.
    I agree. At the same time though it would seem odd to me for someone to actually take the time to bring him back there or for him to leave the car go off somewhere to hide/hang out then return and walk down the trail and into the woods before committing suicide...

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tschlottman For This Useful Post:

The longer it takes for an "official" cause of death (COD) the more the rumors are starting to fly.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

The below is a post on FFXU. Obviously I can't say if there is any truth to it or not...

Re: Bryan Glenn
    Posted by: Cavalier Mom ()
    Date: October 10, 2012 06:53PM

I know people are speculating all kinds of stuff, but let me state that my next door neighbor is a close friend of the female volunteer who found Bryan's body. She confirmed it was a suicide, Bryan hung himself from a tree, so don't expect to hear any more on the news about this. And I can confirm that this is the second Woodson student who committed suicide since August, who also came from a military (Navy) family. I did not know the Glenn's, but I do know the family of the other student since my younger son is in the same class with theirs.

38. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tschlottman For This Useful Post:

How sad. Not that murder woul have been a better alternative. Our world is a hard world. This hurts my heart more because there could have been hope for him. It was at his own mercy. :-(

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LivingJuicy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Just K View Post

WARNING GRAPHIC ALERT
    Are you saying you think he may have been moved?

Or that there was a delay in time between Bryan going missing and him being deceased?

TIA

42. The Following User Says Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Trying to be delicate yet there is really no pleasant way to say it.

Just that after a week outside, in the elements and in 75-80* daytime temps, there should have been a very detectable scent. Other than that it just doesn't fit, IMO.

Maybe he left there and went back for the car and found it gone, IDK...maybe, initially he stayed in the woods...I really doubt that he was moved... especially with all the public presence there. I just can't get passed the fact that the Bloodhounds didn't alert.

Honestly, LE needs to go over every bit of the evidence found at the scene and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Because, even if it was a hanging that does not rule out a murder or someone trying to make it look like a suicide.
    Last edited by Just K; 10-11-2012 at 12:18 AM.

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tschlottman View Post
    The below is a post on FFXU. Obviously I can't say if there is any truth to it or not...

Re: Bryan Glenn
    Posted by: Cavalier Mom ()
    Date: October 10, 2012 06:53PM

I know people are speculating all kinds of stuff, but let me state that my next door neighbor is a close friend of the female volunteer who found Bryan's body. She confirmed it was a suicide, Bryan hung himself from a tree, so don't expect to hear any more on the news about this. And I can confirm that this is the second Woodson student who committed suicide since August, who also came from a military (Navy) family. I did not know the Glenn's, but I do know the family of the other student since my younger son is in the same class with theirs.

Honestly that is the ONLY WAY he could be "standing at the base of a tree, looking down" as stated in the WUSA9 article. That's the absolute only way.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to astridxx For This Useful Post:

Just because someone is found that way doesn't rule out that someone else did this and then staged it to look like suicide.

Here is an update:
    http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/article...remember-bryan

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast