OR - Do you know these babies? Deputies look for camera owners

sweetsavi

Reaction score
I thought this was neat that the police are trying to get these pictures back to their parents. Maybe some great sluethers can help locate. Click on the link to see the photos: http://www.katu.com/news/local/Do-y...-camera-owners-172735361.html?tab=gallery&c=y

Do you recognize the newborn babies in these pictures? Deputies in Washington County, Ore. hope you do.

They recovered two stolen digital cameras that are full of family pictures and they want to return the cameras to their rightful owners. Both cameras have pictures of newborn babies and family members posting with the babies.

Deputies first found the cameras six years ago when they arrested and got a conviction against a man for breaking into cars. Now the cameras are set to be auctioned off or destroyed.

Before they go, deputies are making one last push to get the pictures back to the families.

“These children will likely be starting first grade this fall and they will look different, but the photos have other clues that the right relative or neighbor could recognize, such as the adults or background items,” the sheriff’s department wrote in its newsletter.

We showed the pictures to parents at a Hillsboro elementary school this week. None of them recognized people in the photos, but said they are happy to help in the search.

“Family photos are very important,” said mother Heidi Daffron. “I’ve been in a position where I’ve lost (my son’s) pictures and it’s really upsetting, especially because it looks like a newborn.”

Even if the family is from out of town, deputies said they’d be happy to mail the cameras. If you recognize anything, you can e-mail the sheriff’s department at Sheriff.web@co.washington.or.us.

I think there is more to this then returning a camera. jmo

I agree. Returning a 6-year-old camera is usually NOT the business of LE. They must have seen something on those pictures that made them want to find the owners.

Ditto for me! There is much more going on here. When I first read the story, my thought was why would they circulate photos especially of children? Some people don't like exposing their kids all over the net.

What's going on?

BTW, is this in Oregon? It says Washington County.

Ok, I will take the opposite view, they're just trying to do something nice and return the people's photos. It's good public relations. There are about 6 adults in the photos, surely someone will recognize one of them. And the little baby is about 6 years old now!
:talker:

after a bunch of snide comments about police taking time to do this, part of one comment:

/quote When I was a very young mom, I had to leave my couple of bags of groceries in my car while I carried my baby inside. I should have locked the car but didn't. When I got my son safely settled in his crib I went out to grab the groceries and of course they were gone. Those were the days when every penny I had was carefully budgeted. I called the police and they came and took the report. An hour later the two officers returned with bags of food, diapers, formula, and a teddy bear for my son. It made a HUGE impact on me, and I've supported both them and the Sunshine Division ever since. It's people caring for each other. Helping each other when we can. /endquote

sweet story :)

I find it a bit disheartening that starting at just 2 posts into this thread, the owners of the cameras were starting to be vilified without much of anything to base it on. Are we really starting to turn into a country where we're all guilty until proven innocent? JMHO but I find it sad at best.

I find it a bit disheartening that starting at just 2 posts into this thread, the owners of the cameras were starting to be vilified without much of anything to base it on. Are we really starting to turn into a country where we're all guilty until proven innocent? JMHO but I find it sad at best.

ITA. Nobody has accused them of doing anything wrong. Police say they are victims of theft. Frankly, I don't think police should have put their photos on the web without permission, but it sure as **** doesn't mean these people did anything wrong.

I think there is more to this then returning a camera. jmo

Well, it turns out that wasn't the case apparently - but I can see them working hard to return a camera with newborn's photos on it. I'm intrigued by "lost" items too if it is clear they probably have a LOT of sentimental value. Chances are high those photos weren't saved anywhere, and what a gift to get back perhaps the only brand new born pics you have of a child.

What a happy story.

I wouldn't want my pictures exposed to the world but that's just me. They may have had good intentions but I wouldn't be a happy camper.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I lost a roll of film in Europe in the mid nineties and always hoped that someone would track me down. Another time my camera was stolen in Canada containing undeveloped film. I'd be happy if someone developed it and tried to return the film and/or camera to me.

Although it is disheartening, after all, this is a crime related website. Naturally, we're going to be skeptical. Just glad it's good news, for a change!

There is a site that tries to reunite owners of lost cameras.

Just 4 Simple Steps to reunite a Lost or Found Camera!

People who have found lost cameras try and reunite them with their owner.

http://www.camerafound.com/

I lost a roll of film in Europe in the mid nineties and always hoped that someone would track me down. Another time my camera was stolen in Canada containing undeveloped film. I'd be happy if someone developed it and tried to return the film and/or camera to me.

Although it is disheartening, after all, this is a crime related website. Naturally, we're going to be skeptical. Just glad it's good news, for a change!
BBM: I get your point, but the crime was clearly stated in the OP, a simple theft and LE trying to reunite the owners with their property, photos of their baby, now 6 years old.

I wouldn't want my pictures exposed to the world but that's just me. They may have had good intentions but I wouldn't be a happy camper.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

LOL.....my kids are all so extremely beautiful and wholesome that I would LOVE for the entire world to see what I have accomplished! A police officer, two mangers and a daughter in the AF training to be a Fed! Not that I could share that last one with the world....but still....just so proud. And one of the proudest moments is when they are born!

This is a happy case...

so few and far between!

:great:

If it is I (2 post) I was referring the LE as not being on the up & up. In fact I was thinking it's the pictures we're not seeing. 6 years later is strange to me as well, maybe it was lost in the police department too. But the first thing that actually entered my mind was this case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gents-ask-publics-help-risk-mystery-teen.html

We (public) were led to believe it was the boy that was in danger, and in the end it was he that they wanted.

If it is I (2 post) I was referring the LE as not being on the up & up. In fact I was thinking it's the pictures we're not seeing. 6 years later is strange to me as well, maybe it was lost in the police department too. But the first thing that actually entered my mind was this case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gents-ask-publics-help-risk-mystery-teen.html

We (public) were led to believe it was the boy that was in danger, and in the end it was he that they wanted.

I vaguely remember another case where pictures were also found of some children in a daycare and LE were looking for anyone who recognized the daycare or the children. If I find the story, I'll post it.

I don't think we were wrong in our assumptions. Very rarely do they expose pictures of children without some criminal connection looking for a perp.

This is the first for me.

LOL.....my kids are all so extremely beautiful and wholesome that I would LOVE for the entire world to see what I have accomplished! A police officer, two mangers and a daughter in the AF training to be a Fed! Not that I could share that last one with the world....but still....just so proud. And one of the proudest moments is when they are born!

Like I said, different strokes for different folks. It has nothing to do with extremely beautiful CHILDREN. We all think our children are extremely beautiful.

The point is exposing them all over the internet to total strangers. I have a problem with that. I also have an issue with revealing the location.

We deal with all sorts of crimes on this board and many times, faces of children are blurred or covered for a reason.

Why couldn't they just ask if anyone had a camera stolen on such and such a date , reveal the model of the camera?

Frankly, I still don't get it but whatever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners
Back