1269 users online (225 members and 1044 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020

    AL - Gilbert Collar, 18, fatally shot by campus police, Mobile, 5 Oct 2012

    http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...KNWU00L4_UNEWS

    MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Classmates and friends are questioning why a police officer fatally shot a University of South Alabama freshman who was naked and had been banging on a window at police headquarters.

    Campus officials didn't give any indication that Gil Collar, 18, of Wetumpka had a weapon when he was shot. A university spokesman said he was fatally wounded about 1:30 a.m. Saturday after an officer heard a bang on a window and went outside to investigate.

    A statement issued by university spokesman Keith Ayers said Collar, who wrestled at Wetumpka High School before enrolling at South Alabama, assumed a "fighting stance" and chased an officer before being shot........

    But sophomore Tyler Kendrick said campus authorities haven't provided any satisfying answers about why Collar was killed.

    "Really, it just upsets me that there's no other way to apprehend an unarmed student rather than shooting him. I don't understand that," Kendrick said.........

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16,219
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-08-13-59-46

    Witnesses say a University of South Alabama student was screaming obscenities and talking about being on a "spiritual quest" shortly before campus police fatally shot him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Burbs
    Posts
    1,074
    LSD? Acid? Bath Salts? Psychotic break?
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Gonna have to wait for the tox screen. Although some drugs don't even show up on the tox screen.
    Just my opinion

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-08-13-59-46

    Witnesses say a University of South Alabama student was screaming obscenities and talking about being on a "spiritual quest" shortly before campus police fatally shot him.
    From your article, it certainly seems this was very out of character for Collar. I'm glad to see they will have a review of the officer's actions. Since Collar went to the BayFest that day, maybe he took or was slipped a drug(s) while there. So sad to loose a young man who seemed to be going in the right direction.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    I don't doubt it might be out of character. But considering the substances out there that can cause such behavior, that really doesn't tell me anything.
    And the fact that he went to some music festival prior to this.
    Once the tox screen comes back, perhaps the answers will come too.
    Just my opinion

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16,219
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-09-13-21-17

    Police: Student took LSD before campus shooting

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-09-13-21-17

    Police: Student took LSD before campus shooting
    I just read the article on WKRG's website and came here to make sure someone posted. This is such a tragedy either way. Saddens me for all involved. Not sure my opinion is even necessary.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-09-13-21-17

    Police: Student took LSD before campus shooting
    Just saw that...thanks for the link....quotes:

    Collar went to a music festival and took the drug before assaulting two people in vehicles and attempting to bite a woman's arm, Cochran said.........

    Video taken by a surveillance camera showed Collar nude and covered in sweat as he pursued the retreating officer more than 50 feet outside the building, Cochran said. Collar got within 5 feet of Austin and the officer fired once, striking the student in the chest, Cochran said.

    Investigators are trying to determine who provided Collar with LSD and could charge that person with murder, Cochran said................

    Cochran said he had "serious concerns" about the killing of an unarmed student when he first heard what had happened, but he better understood the officer's decision to open fire after watching the videotape of the shooting.

    "It's very powerful," said Cochran.

    Cochran said authorities will allow Collar's family and media representatives to view the recording later, but it will not be released publicly.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Simp View Post
    I just read the article on WKRG's website and came here to make sure someone posted. This is such a tragedy either way. Saddens me for all involved. Not sure my opinion is even necessary.



    BBM.....all opinions are welcome...agree it's a tragedy, he seemed like a nice young man before...if this was the first time he took such a powerful drug it might have affected him greatly...doesn't seem to be a history of drugs here...I feel so sorry for his mom and friends....
    Last edited by Reader; 10-09-2012 at 02:34 PM.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    I think it's safe to say that the "LSD" he took had been quite possibly cut with adulterants which cause far more disturbing behaviors - of an aggressive nature - than lysergic acid diethylamide.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    [/B]


    BBM.....all opinions are welcome...agree it's a tragedy, he seemed like a nice young man before...if this was the first time he took such a powerful drug it might have affected him greatly...doesn't seem to be a history of drugs here...I feel so sorry for him mom and friends....
    I feel sorry for his mom and friends also. It could have very well been his first time to use drugs. From reading the articles, he seemed like such a "good kid". I know lots of people have experimented with drugs but this is such a prime example of why we have to teach our kids how dangerous it truly can be. There are so many people (from reading the comments on the articles) that are ready to crucify this police officer. My heart breaks for him also. Of course it would have been nice if he could have used another method to apprehend the guy, but I'm sure things happened so fast, and I'm sure nobody wishes things could have turned out differently more than the police officer. (excluding Gill's mother of course). Just heart breaking!! I just don't know how I would feel if this had been my child. I had a feeling from the beginning we were going to hear there were drugs involved.
    I talked to my husband about this case last night and I found myself on both sides of the coin. One minute I was defending Gill and the next minute I was defending the officer. KWIM?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Not surprised for a second. He might have been a perfectly fine, upstanding young man when there was nothing in his system.
    His behavior of taking clothes off and behaving strangely was consistent with being high on some kind of a drug.
    He might have been naked but he also was a wrestler. I wouldn't feel like wrestling with a naked drugged up person.
    Just my opinion

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Simp View Post
    I feel sorry for his mom and friends also. It could have very well been his first time to use drugs. From reading the articles, he seemed like such a "good kid". I know lots of people have experimented with drugs but this is such a prime example of why we have to teach our kids how dangerous it truly can be. There are so many people (from reading the comments on the articles) that are ready to crucify this police officer. My heart breaks for him also. Of course it would have been nice if he could have used another method to apprehend the guy, but I'm sure things happened so fast, and I'm sure nobody wishes things could have turned out differently more than the police officer. (excluding Gill's mother of course). Just heart breaking!! I just don't know how I would feel if this had been my child. I had a feeling from the beginning we were going to hear there were drugs involved.
    I talked to my husband about this case last night and I found myself on both sides of the coin. One minute I was defending Gill and the next minute I was defending the officer. KWIM?
    Good post!

    There were questions about what the officer did but the article above said he didn't have a baton or tazer and indicates that Collar really pursued him violently, which seems plausible from his actions before (assaulting and trying to bite people). I was wondering why the officer didn't just return to the police station or call for backup but it seems he didn't have time/a chance to do that...I know, I've been on both sides also....will be very interested in what the review of the officer finds out and what the autopsy shows...


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Good post!

    There were questions about what the officer did but the article above said he didn't have a baton or tazer and indicates that Collar really pursued him violently, which seems plausible from his actions before (assaulting and trying to bite people). I was wondering why the officer didn't just return to the police station or call for backup but it seems he didn't have time/a chance to do that...I know, I've been on both sides also....will be very interested in what the review of the officer finds out and what the autopsy shows...
    Police don't have the luxury of hiding unlike us private citizens. What if while policeman was asking for back up and hiding in a police station the student went after someone else? Then people would be screaming the policeman was a coward and asking for his head. Being naked and un-armed doesn't make someone harmless. Remember the guy who ripped the face off the homeless man? Not armed and naked, yet caused so much damage the homeless man is now blind.
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2017, 02:39 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2017, 05:26 PM
  3. Replies: 181
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 07:19 AM