New England Compounding Center Product Recall Information *** Many Prescriptions

fhc

Reaction score
New England Compounding Pharmacy, Inc. d/b/a New England Compounding Center (NECC) today announced a recall of all products currently in circulation that were compounded at and distributed from its facility in Framingham, Massachusetts. This action is being taken out of an abundance of caution due to the potential risk of contamination, and in cooperation with an investigation being conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Pharmacy.

From an email I received from the FDA today, a ton of medicine, including pediatric drugs and cancer patient pain killers to acne treatments and saline. Here is the very long list

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Safety/Recalls/UCM322970.pdf

I can't get this to load, fhc. May just be my computer, though.

oh goodness, idk if i can c & p this pdf document...If you have concerns about a particular medication, let me know and I'll check the list.

yes! oh my that is a long list... I read thru for about 15 min and only got to the H's ... there are dialysis solutions on this list, dilaudid (a lot of that) lidocaine and other injectables for numbing (no one get a cut that needs sutures!)

most seemed like they are inject. (solutions).. I will try to write up a "people terms" list tomorrow..

oh goodness, idk if i can c & p this pdf document...If you have concerns about a particular medication, let me know and I'll check the list.

I think that is a good idea (if people have a med concern we can check the list) great idea fhc!

Thanks, fhc! I wanted to see the list to make sure I do not have any of the ones listed. I went to the fda.gov site and did not see it.

But no worries, I will find it somewhere!

yes! oh my that is a long list... I read thru for about 15 min and only got to the H's ... there are dialysis solutions on this list, dilaudid (a lot of that) lidocaine and other injectables for numbing (no one get a cut that needs sutures!)

most seemed like they are inject. (solutions).. I will try to write up a "people terms" list tomorrow..

Thanks, nursebeeme!

Thanks, fhc! I wanted to see the list to make sure I do not have any of the ones listed. I went to the fda.gov site and did not see it.

But no worries, I will find it somewhere!

Try it this way, go to this link

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm322901.htm?source=govdelivery

then click on the link

A complete list of all products subject to this recall can be accessed here.

Thanks so much, fhc! That works. I appreciate it very much.

The pdf. document had 71 pages * appx. 25 per page = 1775 products. Incredible huh?

It looks like to me that it affects the soluble (liquid) medications, which are many. Perhaps only solid pills are not affected.
Just horrible.....

Criminal investigators visit Massachusetts drug facility

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/16/health/meningitis-outbreak/index.html

(CNN) -- Criminal investigators from the Department of Justice and the Food and Drug Administration were at a Massachusetts pharmaceutical company on Tuesday with a search warrant, a company spokesman said.

Federal officials say that more issues have been reported with drugs from the New England Compounding Center, or NECC, which has been linked to a deadly multistate outbreak of fungal meningitis.

FDA spokeswoman Erica Jefferson confirmed that criminal investigators were on site, but declined to answer questions regarding a warrant.

U.S. Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz similarly said that personnel from her office and law enforcement partners were investigating allegations concerning the company. She added that it was "entirely premature" to suggest what the results of that probe may be.

More at link......

Thank you sovery much! The link and then the html worked for me. I cant believe how many items are in this list...even stuff like glycerin and salicylic acid compounds! Unbelievable.

Sent with KFire via Tap-a-Talk

Compounding Center’s License Revoked

http://www.wbjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121024/METROWEST01/121029982/1002

State regulators have voted to permanently revoke the license of the Framingham pharmacy at the center of nationwide outbreak of fungal meningitis, and Gov. Deval Patrick on Tuesday said the state would begin periodic, unannounced inspections of similar labs operating in Massachusetts.

The Department of Public Health released the preliminary finding of its month-old, ongoing investigation into the New England Compounding Center on Tuesday, and Bureau of Health Care Safety and Quality Director Madeleine Biondolillo reported "several health and safety deficiencies" at the drug compounding pharmacy.......more at link.....

just got this email with link

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm325994.htm?source=govdelivery

DA reports conditions observed at New England Compounding Center facility
10/26/2012 01:58 PM EDT

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration released a copy of the FDA Form 483 issued to the New England Compounding Center (NECC). The FDA observed and has since confirmed contaminated products and listed a number of observations regarding conditions in the clean room at NECC’s Framingham, Mass. facility.

this is what the link read

For Immediate Release: Oct. 26, 2012
Media Inquiries: Sarah Clark-Lynn, 301-796-9110, sarah.clark-lynn@fda.hhs.gov
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA reports conditions observed at New England Compounding Center facility

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration released a copy of the FDA Form 483 issued to the New England Compounding Center (NECC). The FDA observed and has since confirmed contaminated products and listed a number of observations regarding conditions in the clean room at NECC’s Framingham, Mass. facility.

The investigators also observed problems with NECC’s ability to maintain its clean room, which is the enclosed space that is designed and maintained to have a controlled environment with low levels of airborne particles and surface contamination. Production of sterile drug products in a properly functioning and maintained clean room reduces the risk of the introduction of microbial contamination into the drug during processing, including filling into its final container.

The FDA issues a 483 at the end of an inspection when the investigators believe that they observed conditions or practices that, in their judgment, may indicate violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, or related regulations.

The 483 does not constitute a final FDA determination that any observation listed on the 483 is a violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act or any related regulations.

The FDA considers the 483 along with an Establishment Inspection Report (EIR), prepared by FDA investigators, and any other relevant information, including any responses received by the company. The agency then considers whether further action, if any, is appropriate. The inspection report for NECC has not been completed and is not being shared at this time.

The FDA continues to work closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state partners, including the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Pharmacy, to investigate the outbreak of fungal meningitis among patients who received NECC’s compounded preservative-free methylprednisolone acetate (80mg/ml), an injectable steroid.
For more information:

FDA Form 483 for New England Compounding Center
FDA Form 483: Frequently Asked Questions
FDA Inspections, Compliance, Enforcement, and Criminal Investigations
Update on Fungal Meningitis

The FDA, an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, protects the public health by assuring the safety, effectiveness, and security of human and veterinary drugs, vaccines and other biological products for human use, and medical devices. The agency also is responsible for the safety and security of our nation's food supply, cosmetics, dietary supplements, products that give off electronic radiation, and for regulating tobacco products.

email from FDA today,11-1-12

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are reporting laboratory results from samples of two additional recalled NECC products – preservative free betamethasone and cardioplegia solution. Previously, the fungus Exserohilum rostratum was identified in NECC-supplied, preservative-free methylprednisolone acetate (MPA).

The FDA and CDC laboratories have identified bacteria present in three separate lots (batches) of NECC-supplied preservative-free betamethasone, with each lot producing different culture results, and in a single lot of NECC cardioplegia solution.

The clinical significance of these results is not known. Both Bacillus idriensis and Bacillus circulans have been rarely reported as a cause of human disease. CDC continues to investigate reports of potential infections in patients receiving other NECC products. As of Nov. 1, CDC has not received reports of laboratory-confirmed cases of infection due to Bacillus or closely related organisms linked to betamethasone or cardioplegia solution from NECC.

Fungal cultures for betamethasone and cardioplegia solution are pending and the presence of additional microbial organisms and/or fungus in these products cannot be ruled out at this time.

For more information, including lot numbers and microbial identification, please visit: NECC Update

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/FungalMeningitis/default.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back