1249 users online (277 members and 972 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606

    Man, 32, dies after winning live roach-eating contest in Florida

    Man dies after live roach-eating contest in Florida (AP)
    The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.
    ---
    Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store.. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
    ---
    None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.
    ---
    "We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party."
    ---
    the rest at the link above

    Possibly should be in forum entitled, "News that makes you grimace."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,659
    Grossest thing EVER!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,187
    An entomologist says it should be safe. Wonder if he was allergic or doped up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    S.E. England
    Posts
    833
    I just came on to share this myself - I feel quite incredulous.

    Worryingly, there is a video of the contest. I couldn't actually see any live insects (I was squinting with my hand over my eyes though) so it should be reasonably safe to watch.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JIwKd8EClY&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JIwKd8EClY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

    I would like to know what that is all over his tshirt and whether that had anything to do with his demise.

    I believe this chap and the man who was knocked down and killed whilst dressed as Bigfoot should be fine contestants for the Darwin Awards

    http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,250
    Maybe he caught a bug.

    What a horrible situation for his loved ones. Dying of something else may be unavoidable but if he died of ingesting live insects that is a completely pointless death.

  6. #6
    Liz's Avatar
    Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    25,446
    Bizarro world!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    I wondered if he were doped up before the contest also. In the article it says he was the life of the party (possibly drunk or high?). Sad, that you lose your life over something so trivial and stupid...and for what? To win a python.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,868
    Yuck!
    Wonder if he swallowed the roaches whole and didn't chew them? Roaches might have caused internal bleeding...or a allergic reaction like tsvicki said.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

    Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

    FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

    You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    17,603
    When I read this story, I thought he may have ingested toxic pesticide residues from the roaches. However, these roaches were food for the creatures from the pet shop. Seems strange the others didn't get sick either.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,914
    Of all the things to be doing a few minutes before dying, this would definitely be at the bottom of my list.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,766
    Watching that video it wouldn't surprise me he died of asphyxiation and blocked his airway. Sometimes adults need adult supervision. Donno what that was on his shirt. My dog has better sense.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    S.E. England
    Posts
    833
    His body was taken to the Broward Medical Examiner’s Office, and investigators with the Broward Sheriff’s Office are awaiting an autopsy report to determine what killed him.

    The store owner said it wasn’t the food.
    BBM

    The “Midnight Madness” bug contest was the first one at Ben Siegel Reptiles on West Hillsboro Road, although an employee said “customers or close friends will eat them all the time as a dare.” Renee, who declined to give her last name, said she has also eaten bugs.

    “The horn worm kind of tastes like a melon, but it has a sweet flavor. Crickets don’t really taste like anything, and meal worms have a kind of nutty flavor,” she said. “I’ve eaten the roaches too, but just the baby ones.”
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/0...ch-eating.html

    There is another video on there of someone else eating one on a previous occasion- no amount of squinting or peering through fingers could hide the insect eating in that one - you have been warned!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,319
    I read somewhere where a witness aid he wasn't chewing them. So possible they caused some damage to his internal organs??

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by Peliman View Post
    Watching that video it wouldn't surprise me he died of asphyxiation and blocked his airway. Sometimes adults need adult supervision. Donno what that was on his shirt. My dog has better sense.
    I'm with you. Bet he needed to vomit, was fighting it, and they came up and blocked his airway. Add alcohol on top of that . . .

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    My only "almost swallowed a roach" experience occurred when I was in college and living in, basically, a dive on the third floor of an ancient apartment building; lying on the floor watching TV and drinking beer from a bottle, I took a gulp, and - yep, a roach had fallen in the beer. Managed not to swallow all the way, coughed up roach. MY GOD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Win in police doughnut-eating contest sparks U.S. man's arrest
    By Steely Dan in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2014, 06:43 AM
  2. Florida man dies after winning roach-eating contest
    By Steely Dan in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
  3. UI bans corn-eating contest
    By sherri79 in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 09:38 PM
  4. High School Student Wins Worm Eating Contest
    By Beyond Belief in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 09:58 PM
  5. 21-Year-Old Man Dies After Winning Tequila-Drinking Contest
    By mysteriew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 11:50 AM