FL FL - Sandy Seligman, 26, Miami, 17 August 1980 - from Canada

Wanting2Help

Reaction score
This is a (new) case that has not been entered into NamUs yet but will be soon. I am in contact with the Detective on the case so if anyone has any questions or can help in any way please let me know.

Here is what is known that I can publicly list:

Name: Sandy Seligman
White Male
Height: 5'11
Weight:165 lbs
Hair Color: blonde hair
Eye Color: hazel eyes
Date Of Birth: 12/17/1953

GetAttachment.aspx

He is a Canadian National that lived in Vancouver, Canada. He called his mother from Miami on August 15, 1980 to arrange for her to pick him up at the bus terminal upon his arrival to Vancouver. Sandy returned his rental car to Hertz at Miami International Airport on August 17,1980 and was supposed to board Eastern Airlines flight to Seattle on the same day. The initial investigator assigned to the case, verified the passenger log and determined Sandy never made the flight. He has not been seen since.

Name: Sandy Seligman
White Male
Height: 5'11
Weight:165 lbs
Hair Color: blonde hair
Eye Color: hazel eyes
Date Of Birth: 12/17/1953...

Any information about why he was in Florida and who he may have seen there ?

Does anyone have a subscription to Ancestry.com who might be able to take a look and see if they have any useful info?

Possible match?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1119umfl.html

Timeline is spot on
Age is within range

Weight is way off - Although I'm really questioning the weight listed - 112lbs for a 21-35 year old 6'1" man??

CarlK mentioned that they have lost the body and the case files on this Doe....

Maybe ?

https://identifyus.org/cases/1281

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/512umfl.html

This John Doe was found about 30 minutes from miami international airport. Although I'm not sure where he would have been for months? It sounds like to me he had every intention of going home?

Estimated time of death Per NamUs would be 3 weeks or longer. Not sure how much longer? Doe Network has 6-8 weeks prior to discovery.

Age is within range
Height is in Range
Weight is in Range
(according to Doe Network)

I'm not sure about the reconstruction though... I am thinking there are similarities in the chin area?

Attachments

• Doe.jpg
    Doe.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Seligman, Sandy.JPG
    Seligman, Sandy.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Doe2.jpg
    Doe2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 17
I think some parts of the missing mans face resemble different sketches/reconstructions. Wish they had a picture of the UIDs teeth!

Maybe ?

https://identifyus.org/cases/1281

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/512umfl.html

This John Doe was found about 30 minutes from miami international airport. Although I'm not sure where he would have been for months? It sounds like to me he had every intention of going home?

Estimated time of death Per NamUs would be 3 weeks or longer. Not sure how much longer? Doe Network has 6-8 weeks prior to discovery.

Age is within range
Height is in Range
Weight is in Range
(according to Doe Network)

I'm not sure about the reconstruction though... I am thinking there are similarities in the chin area?

height weight and age are in range but i see no resemblance at all this guy looks like he could be mexican, asian, hispanic, phillipino something along those lines no way does he resemble sandy

Usually, one would take the shuttle to the airport after dropping off a rental car. Either someone decided to drive him from the rental place to the airport to see him off or there was no shuttle?

Very strange that this disappearance happened in such a small window of time--- between dropping off the rental and the flight. I wonder what time he dropped off the car and the time his flight was leaving. How much time between the two? Maybe he met someone in the rental car place (another customer?) and he took off with them for some reason. It turned out to be his worst nightmare. Just a thought.

How close is the rental place to the beach? Could he have decided to take one last swim and drowned in the ocean? It may sound way out of the box, but we do have a lot of people drown around where I live so it often comes up as a possibility in my thought process.

Strange case. No info out there on google or archives about him missing. There where a few foreign tourist murders in Miami that made big news between 1987-1993. No missing or homicides in the news I could find in 1980 although there was a news article about a miami dade officer shooting a PA tourist later in 1980 who was acting bizarre.

Hope we can get some more info on this when it goes on namus.

Also, do we know for sure that his first name is actually Sandy. With my daughters in the pipe (bagpipe) band locally we have known many older gentleman from Canada named Sandy and usually it is short for Alexander. Makes me wonder if that was his name or nickname.

Also, do we know for sure that his first name is actually Sandy. With my daughters in the pipe (bagpipe) band locally we have known many older gentleman from Canada named Sandy and usually it is short for Alexander. Makes me wonder if that was his name or nickname.

That was the name that the detective gave me...? I assumed it was his legal name...

Good point - I searched for Alexander and still came up with nothing.

This is my first post and English is not my primary language, so please bear with me. According to the airport website and Wikipedia, Eastern Air Lines used Concourses C and D but eventually Concourse C was demolished and Concourse D is now part of the North Terminal. The current Hertz Rent A Car is across S Le Jeune Road, East of the Airport but there have been many modifications to that area throughout the years. The Airport itself is not near a beach. August 18 1980 was on a Sunday and I found a UPI note for Monday saying that three men had been arrested the day before for an attempted hijacking at one of the Eastern Air Lines gates. Should I cut and paste the news or only provide the link?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back