Sidebar #1 in Kathleen Savio's forum

NoeticSoul

When nothing is certain, anything is possible.
Reaction score
Authorities: New attorney for Drew Peterson seeks to overturn conviction

"As Drew Peterson awaits sentencing for murder, a new attorney is seeking to overturn his conviction based on possible mistakes made by his defense team leader, court records show. Naperville attorney John Paul Carroll filed documents Tuesday in Will County Court asserting that he now represents the former Bolingbrook police sergeant, who was convicted last month of killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio."

"In the documents, Carroll accuses lead defense attorney Joel Brodsky of lying about his courtroom experience, forcing Peterson to engage in pretrial publicity and ignoring his request for a speedy trial. He also claims that Brodsky threatened to share unspecified information about Peterson if he fired him."

more

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-overturn-conviction-20121009,0,7107606.story

From what I've read ineffective assistance of counsel is an almost impossible case to make. Especially when a defendant has a "dream team" of criminal lawyers. Drew had 5 attorneys at his table. They will say Brodsky had the "fatal error" of calling Harry Smith but Drew sided with Brodsky on that one. Judge Burmila tried to warn them. If the other attorneys were so concerned they should have called a recess and had a talk with Drew.

From what I've read ineffective assistance of counsel is an almost impossible case to make. Especially when a defendant has a "dream team" of criminal lawyers. Drew had 5 attorneys at his table. They will say Brodsky had the "fatal error" of calling Harry Smith but Drew sided with Brodsky on that one. Judge Burmila tried to warn them. If the other attorneys were so concerned they should have called a recess and had a talk with Drew.

:goodpost:

Exactly!!

It seems we have a whole new circus going on with two sets of attorneys going for the appeal. We have Brodsky and company going after trial errors and Carroll going for ineffective counsel.

It's "funny" that, now that the trial is over and a guilty verdict rendered, DP is whining about Brodsky, according to Carroll.

I think we'll see DP in court to 'splain his current defense situation!

ETA: Okay, here we go...

The filing was submitted by Chicago-area attorney John Paul Carroll, who wasn't involved at Peterson's trial. Carroll conceded Wednesday that Peterson sounded hesitant about the filing.

"I asked if he wanted me to go ahead," Carroll said. "He sat there looking at his shoes, then said, `Yeah, go ahead.'" Carroll said he technically didn't need Peterson's permission and, if he had to, might have filed the motion even without Peterson's OK.

A hearing is scheduled Friday to address the matter, Carroll said. He said Peterson's intentions should become clear then, but added: "If he abandons it, I think he'd be silly."

More at link:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/state-...cle_5a92cf13-dcbc-5951-8b56-ce657ada61a3.html

I wonder if they will have to PROVE that Brodsky threatened to spill the beans about Drew. As much of a loser as Brodsky is I don't think that ever happened. Plus with Drew's experience in Law Enforcement he surely knew (and knew WELL) the concept of attorney client privilege. It's disgusting that they are trying to throw poop against the wall and hoping it sticks.
Take your medicine, Drew!!!

My personal wish is that somehow these actions make DP lose even more rights to an appeal and Brodsky's no longer able to continue as an attorney. Both of them wouldn't know the Truth if it slapped them in the face.

This is my personal opinion and not necessarily the opinion of Websleuths LLC. :moo:

Why does Carroll want back in?

I can see DP saying all this, most convicted do, but DP falls under the ones that know how to try to manipulate the system. Don't know how successful this will be, given that Brodsky was not the only attorney to there to advise DP. Don't even know how this could be proved, unless they have some signed documents or tapes of such a threat.

I agree with throwing it against the wall to see what sticks. But why (besides publicity) would Carroll want back in?

What a dog & pony show... *shakes head*

Battle between Drew Peterson’s attorneys flares up again

"Drew Peterson’s original attorney wants his purported successor tossed off the case and held in contempt for filing a “totally and completely unauthorized” motion seeking to overturn the former cop’s murder conviction."

more @

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...-drew-peterson-attorneys-flares-up-again.html

Well, I have to say a huge thank you to Greenberg for removing even the slimmest of doubts anyone might have still had that any of DP's lawyers had an ounce of professionalism or class. WTG, Greenberg.

Somehow I don't think this is the last we will hear of the attorney merry-go-round.

Judge, please allow him to think about at the state pen. He'll have plenty of time.

From a Chicago Sun Times article: http://www.suntimes.com/news/15691583-418/drew-peterson-let-out-of-jail-briefly-to-see-mother-in-funeral-home.html

“I straightened him out. Drew knows I’m not going to lie to him,” said Brodsky, who filed his own motion Thursday seeking to boot Carroll off the case.

For his part, Carroll acknowledged urging Peterson to dump Brodsky as his attorney.

“I said to him, ‘you’re drowning and you’re holding a stone. I said, ‘let go of the stone and I’ll save you.’” Carroll recounted.

Irony?

I have to wonder what Brodsky knows. He has been exposed as inept, yet Drew sticks with him against all advice.

The why? Brodsky knows what happened to Stacy, IN MY OPINION ONLY.

I can only think that DP will stick with JB until the appeals are decided, and THEN he will come out with the ineffective counsel angle. JB is not in the clear. DP won't sit in jail instead of throwing JB under the bus. But, imo, that is his last ditch effort. jmo and all that jazz.

I forgot, when does he get sentenced??? TIA

January now. His attorneys have been screwing around so much it was moved back.

January now. His attorneys have been screwing around so much it was moved back.

Yep! Those attorneys need to get a kumbaya moment to file the appeal. Good luck! It's the 10th, to be exact, my birthday! Greatest present ever! :great:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lee k
Back