Advertising Aimed At Women

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://moneyland.time.com/2012/10/1...keting-efforts-aimed-just-at-women/?hpt=hp_t3

Hey Ladies, Want Some Jerky? Unusual Marketing Efforts Aimed Just at Women
By Brad Tuttle | @bradrtuttle | October 10, 2012

Gender-based marketing sometimes focuses on men: A “manly” diet soda hit the market not long ago, for instance, and Weight Watchers has made concerted efforts to appeal to guys and let them know that the company’s product is for them, too. More often, though, it seems like women are the target market, and the results can sometimes raise eyebrows.

Some recent examples of “just for her” products, marketing, and advertising:...

Read more: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/10/1...ng-efforts-aimed-just-at-women/#ixzz2904H4luD

This article really doesn't go into it, but I'm intrigued by the gender bias in advertising. Auto related stuff and yard care stuff is just about always aimed at men. Household products and food preparation and products to women. It's a societal acceptance of sexism. JMO

Those reviews are hilarious!! Especially the one from the "lumberjack"!!

This article really doesn't go into it, but I'm intrigued by the gender bias in advertising. Auto related stuff and yard care stuff is just about always aimed at men. Household products and food preparation and products to women. It's a societal acceptance of sexism. JMO

It isn't sexism, it is advertising! Advertising is about selling the products and increasing market share, they have no ulterior motive beyond that.

If lawn/auto parts advertisers thought they could substantially increase sales by making their products "sexy and appealing" to women then they would do it in a heartbeat! Thing is women are less likely to see their products and think "Oh that new lawn mower is so cool! I have been saving up for something fun and that lawn mower is gonna be great!" Women will buy those products when they need them, and the coolness factor doesn't play much of a part in it. If they want to appeal to women they advertise on price and service (i.e. buy a battery from them and they will install it for you -- that appeals to women whether there are women in the ad or not).

Look at fabric/craft type stores, or magazines like Martha Stewart. Those are aimed at women because most of the folks interested that are in fact women. If Martha Stewart thought she could double her market share by turning out a men's craft magazine then you could be sure "Jim Stewart Magazine" would launch complete with instructions on how to make cool man-den art with your hot glue gun and empty shell casings!

Here's a documentary for you Steely if you haven't already seen it.

http://documentarylovers.net/killing-us-softly-4-advertising-women/

I rewatched that one again in a women's lit class this past summer.

It's a good one but it doesn't address the impact that media bias has on males in our culture.

I agree it's sexism used as a tool to make money. Cultural bias is so pervasive that we are submersed in it and aren't even aware of the messages that are being sent to us and our children almost every minute of every day.

(off topic but I recently purchased a book that's on my to-read list about reality tv and it's impact on our culture. It's called Reality Bites Back by J. Pozner. I've read that it's a bit snarky but pretty good so I ordered it.)

And if you're interested in reading more about bias in media:

http://www.mediaed.org/

I used that site for sources when I had to write a paper. BUT---I detected bias there except it was political.

I haven't seen The Bro Code, I need to make time to watch it soon. I'm just swamped right now with finals and trying to get finished with this degree.

It doesn't really bother me; companies would not advertise specific products toward a specific market unless it worked, so I have to think there are women who like products they think are made especially for them. Not all men are into sports, yet most sports-type products are geared toward males, in advertising. Not all women want pink Bic pens, but they are making them and marketing them as lady pens, so I guess some women want something they see as a lady pen. To each his own; if the items don't sell to their perceived market, they will stop making them, or market them differently.

It isn't sexism, it is advertising! Advertising is about selling the products and increasing market share, they have no ulterior motive beyond that.

If lawn/auto parts advertisers thought they could substantially increase sales by making their products "sexy and appealing" to women then they would do it in a heartbeat! Thing is women are less likely to see their products and think "Oh that new lawn mower is so cool! I have been saving up for something fun and that lawn mower is gonna be great!" Women will buy those products when they need them, and the coolness factor doesn't play much of a part in it. If they want to appeal to women they advertise on price and service (i.e. buy a battery from them and they will install it for you -- that appeals to women whether there are women in the ad or not).

Look at fabric/craft type stores, or magazines like Martha Stewart. Those are aimed at women because most of the folks interested that are in fact women. If Martha Stewart thought she could double her market share by turning out a men's craft magazine then you could be sure "Jim Stewart Magazine" would launch complete with instructions on how to make cool man-den art with your hot glue gun and empty shell casings!

I guess I could have made my point better. Gender roles seem to be entrenched in our society. Women, cook, clean and please their man. Men, hunt, fish, work on cars, drink beer and need things that attract beautiful women.

You're right that advertising is aimed to the best market. I just think that it's sad that these stereotypes still exist. JMO

Here's a documentary for you Steely if you haven't already seen it.

http://documentarylovers.net/killing-us-softly-4-advertising-women/

I rewatched that one again in a women's lit class this past summer.

It's a good one but it doesn't address the impact that media bias has on males in our culture.

I agree it's sexism used as a tool to make money. Cultural bias is so pervasive that we are submersed in it and aren't even aware of the messages that are being sent to us and our children almost every minute of every day.

(off topic but I recently purchased a book that's on my to-read list about reality tv and it's impact on our culture. It's called Reality Bites Back by J. Pozner. I've read that it's a bit snarky but pretty good so I ordered it.)

And if you're interested in reading more about bias in media:

http://www.mediaed.org/

I used that site for sources when I had to write a paper. BUT---I detected bias there except it was political.

I haven't seen The Bro Code, I need to make time to watch it soon. I'm just swamped right now with finals and trying to get finished with this degree.

I downloaded it and will watch it later. I saw the first few minutes though and it looks hysterical.

I guess I could have made my point better. Gender roles seem to be entrenched in our society. Women, cook, clean and please their man. Men, hunt, fish, work on cars, drink beer and need things that attract beautiful women.

You're right that advertising is aimed to the best market. I just think that it's sad that these stereotypes still exist. JMO

Did you ever consider that stereotypes are usually based on reality? There are differences between the genders of EVERY SPECIES even including us recently oh so evolved humans!

And I think the "please your man" thing is quite sexist. : )

I am single (divorced for many years actually) and I only cook for myself, nevertheless I still love the housewares section and felt I was "treating myself" when I bought a slow cooker the other day. Why? Cause it was a "fun new toy" for me, a fun thing to try out different recipes in, not because society tells me to think that way but because I like to cook new things for me! If that makes me a "man pleaser" I am not sure how exactly.

The "man pleasing" thing is really just a natural domestic female desire, it can just as easily be a "child pleasing thing" or a "pet pleasing thing". Women often really enjoy things that the others in their house will ALSO enjoy, whether it is cooking, crafts, housewares, pet items, etc...

There is a difference between male and female brains, we have certain preferences and that is natural and perfectly okay. I don't feel threatened by the differences. Being "equal" does not mean being the same!

Example, I spent a few hundred on an 8000 watt generator. I have never fired that thing up once, I have my lawn guy do it and he showed me how. Why? Cause even though I bought it I don't have any desire to "figure out how it works or test out all the cool features" I just want it to work during a power outage. Very few men would EVER buy a machine like that without playing with it, testing it, seeing what all it could do, it would be fun for them! For me it is simply the solution to a problem, the "fun factor" does not exist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back