814 users online (184 members and 630 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Squirrel dinner prep maybe sparked Michigan fire Associated Press

http://news.yahoo.com/squirrel-dinne...-144017963.htm

Squirrel dinner prep maybe sparked Michigan fire
    Associated Press 1 hr 59 mins agol

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch....

To be clear, I'm not laughing at the people who were displaced because that's tragic and to be honest it would take a lot of restraint not to bust his nose.

What I am laughing at is the the thought of someone cooking a squirrel with a propane torch. How can the thought of cooking a squirrel with a propane torch enter a person's noggin and not be immediately rejected?!

A better question is; How can the thought of cooking a squirrel enter a person's noggin and not be immediately rejected?

I had an ex that was a hunter....he would eat everything he shot. Yep, even squirrels. ICK

Of course he didn't use a propane torch to cook it

The OP link isn't working so here's another; http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_21748703

Quote Originally Posted by longtallcold View Post
    I had an ex that was a hunter....he would eat everything he shot. Yep, even squirrels. ICK

Of course he didn't use a propane torch to cook it
    I'm going to assume that this is one reason he's an ex?

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    When I heard this report on the radio this morning (WWJ), I thought: W.T.F.!!! Methinks the dude who tried to roast a squirrel with a blow torch is a little squirrelly.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    There's not much to this article, but the comments below are worth a look

Torch used to singe squirrel may have sparked fire

Apartment resident using torch in preparation to eat squirrel apparently sparks Mich. fire

Published On: Oct 11 2012 06:38:27 AM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/T...z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/squirrel-dinne...-144017963.htm

Squirrel dinner prep maybe sparked Michigan fire
    Associated Press 1 hr 59 mins agol

What I am laughing at is the the thought of someone cooking a squirrel with a propane torch. How can the thought of cooking a squirrel with a propane torch enter a person's noggin and not be immediately rejected?!

I know. Everyone knows the best way is to sautee or deep fry and then serve it with a white gravy for gray or black squirrels and a brown gravy w/peas for red squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    I know. Everyone knows the best way is to sautee or deep fry and then serve it with a white gravy for gray or black squirrels and a brown gravy w/peas for red squirrels.

What wine goes best with squirrel? What is the best side dish? I was thinking Pinot Noir and acorn stuffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    What wine goes best with squirrel? What is the best side dish? I was thinking Pinot Noir and acorn stuffing.
    I've only had it when I was a kid. My dad used to hunt them and make a stew. It was good but the total turnoff for me was biting into a shotgun pellet. My choice of drink was cherry KoolAid, extra sugar.
    Last edited by TrackerSam; 10-16-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Taste like chicken.....

And, of course, walnut balls rolled in confectioners' sugar for dessert

Quote Originally Posted by Peliman View Post
    Taste like chicken.....
    Chicken fried squirrel

From Steely's second link:

the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur
    I grew up eating squirrel. You eat what you can shoot or catch when you're poor and hungry.

I'm not sure that this resident was going to eat this squirrel. You have to skin a squirrel. It's not difficult, in fact skinning a squirrel is easier than a lot of other game. (make a cut down near the tail. Place it on flat ground put your foot on the flap of skin and tail, grab the hind legs and pull up hard---skin comes off like a glove. FWIW)

(also soak them in brine, tames down the gamey taste ) ETA: I don't eat game since becoming an adult. I can remember saying to myself---one day I'm going to have enough money to buy all my meat at the darn krogers haha!

Buy anway, I don't think they were planning to eat this squirrel. But I do wonder why they were burning the fur off? Sounds to me like possible cruelty. I wonder if that squirrel was deceased before they took propane to it?

I've never heard of anyone burning fur off --ever. If that is what he was doing, he must have had the wine (a large box) before thinking about dinner ahaha!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast