815 users online (132 members and 683 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by vanulor View Post
    *Unverified*

According to a reddit user on the unresolved subreddit about Grateful Dead Fan someone has been in contact with one of the Caroline's.

"Just spoke to Caroline T. ~ Caroline O - I will call tonight. Name was Jason. Hair Blonder than depicted. Shoulder Length. Very high on something. Not chatty but friendly. Alone. No backpack or bag. Blue eyes. Colorful shirt. Face looks like reconstruction, hair lighter. After concert all 3 walked to what she remembered to be a golf course with hundreds of other concert goers. Jason fell asleep, girls left at 7:00 am when sun was rising and left him that note in case he found himself in that area again - they wanted him to look them up. No accent that she could remember. That's it. Thinks he was heading to another concert."

This user created this account for the sole purpose of adding this and has not added any additional info and didn't respond to someone who asked for more info. I asked if they had any more info and gave them the link for this forum. *Unverified*
    IMO, this was their perception of Jason, maybe since they just met him they assumed he was on drugs, maybe this was just his nature...

If you read my interview with the detective, you will find that the news reports that the note was in the John Doe's pocket are incorrect. It was found outside the vehicle, per the detective, and may not even be connected to the case.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Lohr View Post
    If you read my interview with the detective, you will find that the news reports that the note was in the John Doe's pocket are incorrect. It was found outside the vehicle, per the detective, and may not even be connected to the case.
    can you link me to the interview? playing catch up

Quote Originally Posted by sloane7777 View Post
    can you link me to the interview? playing catch up
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5208512.html

I've been silently following this case for years and try to keep up. I am a bit in shock that the letter wasn't found in Grateful Doe's pocket. I always thought that was a confirmed detail.

alreetlike is offline All human wisdom is summed up in these two words -- wait and hope
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Lohr View Post
    I read your article the other day (thanks, by the way) and it was a bit of a moment when I got to that bit. So disappointing to find out that what could've been an important clue may in fact be entirely unconnected.

The second name on the note looks like "Carmine" to me. It's definitely different from the first name.
    To the batmobile!

Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by njf520 View Post
    hi, all.

i am new to the site so please excuse any mistakes!

i have been following this case since i first saw it on unsolved mysteries. i recently got back into looking into it when the new likeness of jason doe that came out earlier this year.

when cases are so hard to crack, i often wonder if some of the "facts" of the case that we are working from are wrong. this brings me to the note found with jason.

i have always heard and read that the note reads, at the end:

Caroline T.
    and
    Caroline O

i have studied the note and i think this is not what it reads. i believe it reads:

Caroline T.
    and
    Caroline D

when i look at the note (linked below) i notice this about the O/D after the second "Caroline":

- it seems to have a vertical portion on the left.
    - the vertical portion is the "closed" with an arc from top to bottom.

this is not how any of the other "o's" on the note are made. in other words in the note like "to" and "go," the writer seems to trace over part of the letter in order to continue to the next letter. they seems to write from 7 or 8 o'clock to 12 back counterclockwise past 6 past 12 and then on to the next letter, if that makes sense.

so, i took the best resolution image of the note that i could find (here) and i showed it to a handwriting expert who has over 25 years experience in handwriting analysis, question documents, forgery, etc. this person had never heard of the case, had never seen the note, etc.

i did NOT tell this person what i thought the note read or what conventional wisdom thought it read (Caroline O). i simply said, take a look and tell me what you think the "signatures" on the bottom are.

the expert said that it read: Caroline D

i've spoken to the medical examiner's office. they do not have the note as it resides with the state police, as far as they know. they do not have a higher resolution copy of it.

do any of you know of a higher res image? i am guessing the images we have seen on the web are from the unsolved mysteries episode.

the handwriting expert is happy to look at the note again if we find a better image.

forgive me if this has been discussed before. i haven't seen mention of it anywhere on the web.

i look forward to your comments and insights.

njf520
    I am curious, did the expert say anything else about the handwriting? Like, if they gave fake names, or a fake number, would that sort of deceit be evident. I understand the note might not be linked at all-but until anything is proven, it remains a possible clue. I wonder if the note was checked for fingerprints? Surely if it was Doe's, his would be on it, and the author's? That is, if any were "liftable"...And, if so, I wonder if they could be cross checked in a current database. This many years later, the author could have been arrested at some point, or perhaps has prints on file for a job?

Hello,

I have been a very long time lurker and it is only now, that I decided to register and perhaps join in the discussion.

The note is very blurred and I don't have the best eyesight in the world, but is it possible that the name is not Jason but in fact Jaron, Jadon or something to that effect? I know that it is not a common name, and it is a long shot..but just thought that I would give my 2 cents FWIW. Also the second name to me looks like Corrine D or Cathrine D as well, instead of Caroline. Anyway, I never knew that the note was not found in Jason Doe's pocket, so we all may well have been barking up the wrong tree, what a disappointment
    Last edited by LeChat; 11-27-2014 at 07:37 AM.

The drawing intrigues me. My guess is whoever wrote the note (whether it is to Doe or someone else) used this drawing or similar ones at the end of every note they wrote. Someone should be able to recognise it, but it's unlikely those people will ever see it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3