1346 users online (329 members and 1017 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AZ - Flagstaff, WhtMale UP9964, 15-18, in mortuary garage, May'01

This case is kind of unusual.

Nobody knows where the skeleton came from.

What is known is that the skeleton was discovered in a casket packing crate in the attic of the former Flagstaff Mortuary on Oak Street in May 2001. A new funeral director was cleaning the attic and came across the crate.

The medical examiner's office had operated out of the mortuary for a period of time in the 1970s. An invoice with the crate was addressed to the T.J. Ruffner Mortuary and dated Aug. 9, 1965.

With the skeleton were a pair of gray plaid pants, a yellow plaid short-sleeve shirt and blue tennis shoes. At the time, despite attempts, no identification of the remains was made.
    http://azdailysun.com/news/local/cri...78b355182.html

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9964

I guess this might not be a missing person as such, if it's just some kind of massive bureaucracy screw-up with the paperwork that should have accompanied him to the mortuary, so I don't really know where to start looking. But maybe someone remembers a young man who died in 1965 or so and his family never got to bury him?

I'm going to make sure Raine1212 sees this thread. She is our Unclaimed mod and might be able to shed some insight on how we can identify this man.

Does anybody have access to newspaper archives in the area?

There could be an obituary for him somewhere in the early August editions.

I suppose someone could have got the clever idea to hide a tree in the forest and a body in a mortuary. Or else it was an empty crate when it was put in the attic and the body was placed there later.

What's the timing of the Donnis Redman and Michael Griffin case?
    When Moran wanted to know of any possible leads in the case, Rucker said that there is one possibility. A young couple, Michael Griffin and Donnos "Pinky" Redman, were last seen in San Pedro, Calif., in the 1960s before they eloped. Their vehicle was found abandoned in Williams. Skeletal remains found in the area, belonging to a female, also had a cosmetic case with the initials "PR" nearby.

Coconino County Sheriff's Office cold case detectives are looking into whether the remains found at the scene belong to Redman. She had died as a result of homicide, Rucker said.

Given the approximate time the bones landed at Flagstaff Mortuary, Rucker said chances are good the skeleton might belong to Griffin.
    Everything I've found has them disappearing in 1958, not in the 1960's.
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11219/0/
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...an_donnis.html
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2409dfca.html
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4633dmca.html

Anyway, the UID has both nuclear and mitochondrial DNA in the system now and Michael Griffin has DNA available so they've presumably been able to compare and I'll assume it wasn't a match.
    Last edited by Donjeta; 10-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Namus report

Case Report - NamUs UP # 9964

Case Information

StatusUnidentifiedCase number01-162Date foundMay 22, 2001 00:00Date createdMarch 02, 2012 14:06Date last modifiedAugust 10, 2012 14:29Date QA reviewedMarch 03, 2012 06:01

Local Contact (ME/C or Other)

AgencyCoconino Cnty Med Examiners OfcPhone928-679-8775
    Case Manager

NameAmy KellyPhone928.679.8775

Demographics

Estimated ageAdolescentMinimum age15 yearsMaximum age18 yearsRaceWhiteEthnicitySexMaleWeight (pounds), Cannot Estimate Height (inches), Cannot Estimate
    Body Parts Inventory (Check all that apply)

All parts recoveredHead not recoveredTorso not recoveredOne or more limbs not recoveredOne or both hands not recoveredNotes on body parts recovered
    Body conditionsNot recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
    Probable year of deathto Estimated postmortem interval

Circumstances

Location Found

GPS coordinatesAddress 1302 W. Oak Ave.Address 2CityFlagstaffStateArizonaZip codeCountyCoconino
    Circumstances of deathskeletal remains found at the Flagstaff Mortuary in the garage

Physical

Hair colorBrownHead hair4 inches in length
    Body hair
    Facial hair
    Left eye colorUnknown or MissingRight eye colorUnknown or MissingEye description
    No other distinctive body featuresDistinctive features as described belowAmputations
    Deformities
    Scars and marks
    Tattoos
    Piercings
    Artificial body parts
    and aids
    Finger and toe nails
    Other distinctive
    physical characteristics

Medical

Medical implants
    Foreign objects
    Skeletal findingsthe metopic suture is persistent. there are bilateral inclusion bones in the lambdoidal suture.
    Organ absent
    Prior surgery
    Other medical
    information

Fingerprints

Fingerprint information is currently not available (Explain in comments box below)Fingerprint information is available elsewhere (Explain below)Fingerprint information below
    RTLT
    Commentsskeletal remains

Clothing and Accessories

No clothing or accessoriesClothing and accessories are described belowClothing on body
    Clothing with body
    Footwear
    Jewelry
    Eyewear
    Other items found
    with body

Dental

Dental information / charting is currently not available (Explain in comments box below)Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later (Explain below)Dental information / charting is below
    X-Rays available
    Models available
    Photographs available
    One or more teeth presentBaby/primary teeth presentFilling or crown presentRemovable denturesCemented bridge
    ImplantsBracesRetainerRoot canal
    Upper jaw presentUpper jaw had no teeth during lifeLower jaw presentLower jaw had no teeth during life
    Upper Right12345678910111213141516Upper LeftNIPNPNNNPPNNNNNPNILower RightNINNPNONNPPNNNPNNNILower Left32313029282726252423222120191817
    • N
      =
      Natural tooth, no filling
    • F
      =
      Filling, inlay, onlay, or veneer
    • C
      =
      Crown or cap
    • B
      =
      Bridge work
    • R
      =
      Root canal

• A
      =
      Antemortem loss (healed socket)
    • P
      =
      Postmortem loss (open socket)
    • I
      =
      Impacted
    • O
      =
      Other features (describe in dental comments)

CommentsDental postmortem digital radiographs and intra-oral photographs displayed in Images section. Four third molars present and Impacted. No dental restorations present on remaining teeth. Tooth #28 fractured. NCMEC reference case # TA-1126872. UP NCIC Dental report completed. Dr. Filippi 8/10/2012

DNA

Sample is currently not available (Explain in comments box below)Sample available - Not yet submittedSamples submitted - Tests not completeComplete - Insufficient DNA for profilingComplete and entered belowType mtDNA nucDNA Y-STR LocationUniversity of North TexasDescribe locationReference #12-0801Lab ORICommentsfull STR and mtDNA profiles at national CODIS

Need to search newspaper archives in 1970, Flagstaff AZ

Possible Link to Michael Griffin and Donnis Redman, from article in original post.
    http://azdailysun.com/news/local/cri...778b355182.htm

''Given the approximate time the bones landed at Flagstaff Mortuary, Rucker said chances are good the skeleton might belong to Griffin''

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...=donnis+redman

I will look for an obit on Griffin, I hope they have already explored that ave.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/ca...ort_html/11219

Namus report on Griffin

Notice the case report on the teeth

I found this, may not be related

Donnis June Redman
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Get the full report on
    Donnis June Redman

Lived at

• 1 in Elizabethtown, KY
    • 1 in Lansing, MI
    • view more
    Aliases

• Donnis June Redman
    • Donnis Marie Redman
    Related to

BBM and Underlined by me

.Donnis June Redman
    Donnis Marie Redman
    79 Mayville, MI
    Lansing, MI
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Allen Redman
    Shirley Redman
    Tina Redman
    Harry Redman

2.Donnis J Redman
    59 Mayville, MI
    Lansing, MI
    Harry Redman
    Lucille Redman

one more

Missing

Last known alive: March 01, 1958

Circumstances: Last seen accompanying boyfriend in Las Vegas, NV, boyfriend's car was found in Williams, AZ.
    Boyfriend Michael James Griffin, age 18, still missing
    First Name: Donnis Marie
    Middle Name: Marie
    Last Name: Redman

Notice name of Michael here not Michael Lawrence

http://www.missingin.org/reg1125/don...rie_redman.htm

Very strange.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

strange

I agree. As soon as I have some time this weekend I want to get into investigating this . . .

With the teeth, I'm thinking was this a disabled person left in a facility and no one ever actually claimed the body, after they said they would?

Very strange.

Sounds like a late night for raine and I soon! We gotta lots of catch up to do!

Quote Originally Posted by nemo'smom View Post
    I agree. As soon as I have some time this weekend I want to get into investigating this . . .

With the teeth, I'm thinking was this a disabled person left in a facility and no one ever actually claimed the body, after they said they would?

Very strange.

Late night at anytime, yes we have lots to get done. I will get my coffee and or wine ready, you get your salty dog...lol

Quote Originally Posted by nemo'smom View Post

Very strange.

It would be a reasonable explanation but I don't follow the teeth aspect. What about the teeth specifically makes you think he was disabled?

The main thing I notice about the teeth is that if MG had teeth removed this is not Michael Griffin. "Teeth had been straightened through orthodontia. Two or more teeth may have been removed to aid in alignment."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast