1342 users online (319 members and 1023 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Girl who posts anti-bullying video apparently kills herself :'(

Absolutely heartbreaking....

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...941/story.html

After documenting a heart-breaking story about cyber-bullying on a video posted to YouTube last month, 15-year-old Amanda Todd was found dead Wednesday night in Coquitlam.

Her tragic death - a suspected suicide - has prompted many to speak out about the dangers of bullying, especially in the age of social media.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...#ixzz292S4HV78
    You must watch the video at the link. It's devastating.

Rest in peace, Amanda.
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    Therefore, send not to know, for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

This child was a friend of my daughter's lab partner. This is a tragedy in many ways.

Amanda WAS getting help - lots of help. She had relocated more than once. She was attending CABE, a sheltered alternative for students experiencing challenges in mainstream public education. She DID have friends at CABE. She had access to great counselling and support services. He parents were very aware of what was happening.

She was broken in ways and for reasons which go far beyond having been bullied. I don't believe Amanda wanted to die. What she wanted was for the pain to STOP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...m_hp_ref=crime

Such a waste.
    Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well!
    Proud parent of 3 rescued schnauzers

this is her video she posted at youtube......it's so sad

http://youtu.be/ej7afkypUsc

Amanda's story is so very similar to the Phoebe Prince story. I don't know how Amanda's life would have gone had she not posed topless for strangers on the internet, but I would guess that her self-doubt and deep need for affirmation caused her to pose topless on the internet for a stranger. The stories make it sound like that topless photo led to all this sadness and difficulty for her - but I think she had a deep sense of sadness and need and that preceeded the decision to pose for that picture.

I completely agree with Crafty - although I don't know Amanda, my guess is she was broken in ways that go far beyond being bullied.

Omg....how horrible!

RIP McStays

Quote Originally Posted by craftybatchy View Post
    This child was a friend of my daughter's lab partner. This is a tragedy in many ways.

Amanda WAS getting help - lots of help. She had relocated more than once. She was attending CABE, a sheltered alternative for students experiencing challenges in mainstream public education. She DID have friends at CABE. She had access to great counselling and support services. He parents were very aware of what was happening.

She was broken in ways and for reasons which go far beyond having been bullied. I don't believe Amanda wanted to die. What she wanted was for the pain to STOP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...m_hp_ref=crime
    Thanks very much for this background.

Mental illness is such a complex topic. It surely won't be solved anytime soon, but thank goodness the topic is receiving much more attention. Of course coordinating the resources to deal with it is a major challenge.

How wonderful to hear about programs/schools like CABE! Coincidentally, yesterday, as one of the community support/donation initiatives where I work (a large financial institution), we had a social agency in to describe their role with youth in our community. One of the speakers was a client of theirs. This young woman fell apart early in university, became depressed and suicidal and found herself living on friend's sofas or on the street. This eloquent young woman seems to have found her way through coordinated support (emotional, daily living, and employment counselling). As we all know, so many simply don't find the right resources to help.
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

Quote Originally Posted by tk71texas View Post
    this is her video she posted at youtube......it's so sad

http://youtu.be/ej7afkypUsc
    That actually links to a copy of her video. The one below is her actual post, it includes her message below the video. You can also look thru her feed and see that pretty much everything she did on youtube was related to her struggles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vOHXGNx-E7E

Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    Amanda's story is so very similar to the Phoebe Prince story. I don't know how Amanda's life would have gone had she not posed topless for strangers on the internet, but I would guess that her self-doubt and deep need for affirmation caused her to pose topless on the internet for a stranger. The stories make it sound like that topless photo led to all this sadness and difficulty for her - but I think she had a deep sense of sadness and need and that preceeded the decision to pose for that picture.

I completely agree with Crafty - although I don't know Amanda, my guess is she was broken in ways that go far beyond being bullied.
    I remember Phoebe Prince case. The bullies in that case were mostly from dysfunctional and permissive families where abuse is likely to happen. They clearly had deep issues of envy and self-hatred. A dangerous mix.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Amanda's mother has been quoted by media as saying "Amanda was only alone in her mind".

What happened to Amanda was heartbreaking. On many levels. She was both a victim of others and of her own mind.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/1...mothers-words/

Amanda’s Story: In Her Mother’s Words

Finger-pointing at schools for not stopping bullying only angers Carol. She said Amanda, who had learning problems, had excellent support in the Coquitlam school district, where Carol is a teacher and where Amanda spent most of her school time.
    Since last March, she was a student at CABE, Coquitlam Alternate Basic Education secondary school, a school that is like a haven for youth who for whatever reason need the alternate learning situatiion.
    It was there Carol said that Amanda made friends, both among the students and the staff.
    “She had a good support network there,” said Carol. Among the teachers Amanda especially liked was former Olympic track and field star Leah Pells, who teaches physical education at the school.
    “She and Amanda clicked and Amanda trusted her,” said Carol.
    How wonderful that there are caring people like Leah Pells.
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

I am really sad about losing this young woman. I had one too that just didn't want to live and i didn't know why and she doesn't why. That was 20 years ago and you wouldn't even know now she had ever been in that state of mind. I always thought it had something to do with hormones. I am just glad we got thru it.
    Prayers for the angel we lost and her family.

It hasn't stopped. Now some people have become nasty on her memorials. It's sickening.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/torment...rials-1.994594

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    It hasn't stopped. Now some people have become nasty on her memorials. It's sickening.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/torment...rials-1.994594
    That is really sick. I do no see bullies any different from a pedophile (Jerry Sandusky) or terrorist (Osama bin Laden).

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

this young woman lived in the same town as I do. We've heard about this case for awhile now and believed it had turned around. Is it a case of bullying by her school mates, a predator stalking her on cyberspace or both because of a mistake she made at 12 that could happen to many teens who are sextexting..

Such a sad sad case - we think we have support in place - we believe the victim is healing and she is being kept safe but at what point or do we ever know when they are safe from their own minds? it is just heartbreaking...
    When there is Justice - there is Peace.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast