Man finds softball-size eyeball on beach

GetSmart

Reaction score
MIAMI — State wildlife officials are trying to determine the source of a softball-size eyeball that washed ashore in South Florida.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reports that a man found the blue eyeball Wednesday in Pompano Beach. It wasn't immediately clear what species of animal the eye came from. But officials placed it on ice, planning to have it analyzed at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute in St. Petersburg.
FWC spokeswoman Carli Segelson says the eyeball likely came from a marine animal, since it was found on a beach. Possible candidates include a giant squid, a whale or some type of large fish.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-n...nds-softball-size-eyeball-on-beach-ar-530164/

huge-eyeball-beach-22242463jpg

Wow that would freak me out!

After examinations, researchers said they believe the mysterious orb was cut from a swordfish and tossed overboard by a fisherman.

Atlantic Ocean swordfish can reach a whopping 1,100 pounds (500 kilograms), and at this time of year it's common for fishers to catch them off the coast of south Florida....

.... the eye of a large xiphid .... they get seriously big .... people don't realize it because most of the eye is inside the head ....

squideye2.jpg1350068243

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mystery-giant-eyeball-beach-solved-144636042.html

Florida

Ahahahahahahahaha

I am so surprised I have not run down the streets screaming

That is fascinating, but it is also creepy.

Oy vey, guess were not having eyeball on the halfshell.

Did it really take researchers 5 years to identify the eye, or did it take 5 years to post the results? lol

In other eye opening news...
My baby, HemiKrikitMcMittens sometimes sleeps with her eyes open, creepy.

hemisleepeyesopen.jpg

Oy vey, guess were not having eyeball on the halfshell.

Did it really take researchers 5 years to identify the eye, or did it take 5 years to post the results? lol

In other eye opening news...
My baby, HemiKrikitMcMittens sometimes sleeps with her eyes open, creepy.

View attachment 119155

Aww! I am so in love with HemiKrikitMcMittens!

Aww! I am so in love with HemiKrikitMcMittens!

Thank you, perfectingpink. Me too!

We are going to look at kittens tomorrow. Hemi really needs another playmate and companion, I really hope the transition is not too difficult.
I just love her mittens and we have been looking for another Hemingway, but none in our area.

paws.jpghemi mcmittens 016.jpghemi mcmittens 030.jpgHemi McMittens 074.jpgHemi McMittens 065.jpg

I recently found some old pictures of Hemi when she was 12 weeks old and only 3 lbs. from September, 2008.
VertigoKitten was huge next to her.

I know I have hijacked the eyeball thread, please forgive but it's a fish eyeball. LOL

Thank you, perfectingpink. Me too!

We are going to look at kittens tomorrow. Hemi really needs another playmate and companion, I really hope the transition is not too difficult.
I just love her mittens and we have been looking for another Hemingway, but none in our area.

View attachment 119156View attachment 119157View attachment 119158View attachment 119159View attachment 119160

I recently found some old pictures of Hemi when she was 12 weeks old and only 3 lbs. from September, 2008.
VertigoKitten was huge next to her.

I know I have hijacked the eyeball thread, please forgive but it's a fish eyeball. LOL

Happy for the hijacking! Hemi's Four Mittens are far too precious! Tuna treats tonight!

The OP piece mentioned the eye, the size of a softball, would be turned over to science for evaluation. Fishermen see these type things more frequently than land dwellers but officially it is from a good size swordfish. I guess the giant blue eye requires two hands to hold it.

As a scuba diver, this is a great find. Those swordfish, though, they can fly.

O/T This reminds me of HS zoology class when we dissected a squid. I wanted to take home an eyeball to show my sister when she came home from college, so I wrapped it in a wet paper towel. After I cleaned up my area and returned to my seat, it was gone! :gaah: I don't know if my lab partner threw it away (she denied it), or if the teacher or another student who learned of my nefarious plan disposed of it. :eye:

Nooo! Never fess up to mischief. What will the Neighbors and Grandchildren think?

:thinking: Squished squid eye for sister is stolen. How big are squid's eyes? Aren't they dark?

Aww, your cat is beautiful. I am having the same problem with my little girl; she lost her sibling at Christmas, (incredibly heartbreaking and sad) , and we are contemplating a playmate for her, but not sure how she will like it. She is very possessive and jealous, and also shy, so I am not sure what to do. She hates it when we leave and she is alone. Let me know how you do, please.

So sorry, this is off-topic, I know. Thank you. Katt

Nooo! Never fess up to mischief. What will the Neighbors and Grandchildren think?

:thinking: Squished squid eye for sister is stolen. How big are squid's eyes? Aren't they dark?
I don't have any grandchildren, so no worries there. Not even my sister knew of my plan (unless I told her to check her disappointment level, but that's been so long ago I can't remember). I don't remember now what it looked like. But, these were small squid so the eyeballs were small.

Aww, your cat is beautiful. I am having the same problem with my little girl; she lost her sibling at Christmas, (incredibly heartbreaking and sad) , and we are contemplating a playmate for her, but not sure how she will like it. She is very possessive and jealous, and also shy, so I am not sure what to do. She hates it when we leave and she is alone. Let me know how you do, please.

So sorry, this is off-topic, I know. Thank you. Katt
I'm so sorry your cat lost her sister. :heartbeat: Check around for an animal rescue organization near you, or go to your local shelter. They allow (even encourage) current pet owners to bring in their pet to have a visit with an animal you are considering adopting to ensure they are compatible. My mother got a rescue dog last year through an organization that brought a mobile unit to a shopping center near them. My sister and her dog have been living with our mom, so they required them to bring in my sister's dog to see how he would react. He was okay with the other dog so my mother went through with the adoption. They get along pretty well, except when it comes to food. When one finishes eating first, he/she goes after the other dog's food, which angers the other dog. :mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back