1052 users online (210 members and 842 guests)  

Websleuths News

Trojan Virus Alert From AVG

Twice this week- a few days ago, and then today, I have gotten an alert from AVG my virus protection that they have protected me from a back door Trojan virus and quarantined it.

After the first notice my computer would hardly run until I ran a scan last night and 2 more threats-malware were quarantined.

Both times I got this notice i was in the jessica Ridgeway forum.

I have been to no new sites, I have up to date virus protection. I am very particular about what sites I visit on the web.

I wanted to pass this along, and to ask if this has been happening to anyone else here.

Quote Originally Posted by killarney rose View Post
    Twice this week- a few days ago, and then today, I have gotten an alert from AVG my virus protection that they have protected me from a back door Trojan virus and quarantined it.

After the first notice my computer would hardly run until I ran a scan last night and 2 more threats-malware were quarantined.

I have been to no new sites, I have up to date virus protection. I am very particular about what sites I visit on the web.

I wanted to pass this along, and to ask if this has been happening to anyone else here.
    I also use AVG and I have had no problems at all. You might try running a Malwarebytes scan. Here's a link. I use the free version.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. Same thread. I did not have AVG at the time and had the 3-trojans on mine. Had to install the AVG on my computer. Only problem now is I am not sure if it AVG or if WS has changed. I can't attach a picture. Anyone want to help me out, I would so appreciate!

My AVG failed me. I suggest using Avast (free) and Malwarebytes.

I run avast too, love it!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

So are viruses able to get through this site?

I've not had any more problems. I don't use the free version of AVG, I buy the disc for mine. In fact, I've bought my yearly update and installed it since starting this thread.

AVG did catch the virus, and since I updated and got rid of the malware, I've been ok. It just puzzles me-I'm not computer savy- that I could get a virus from a reputable site like WS. I have stopped coming to WS daily. I just come in every few days because of this- but I have made exception to that today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    My AVG failed me. I suggest using Avast (free) and Malwarebytes.
    So are viruses able to get through this site?

I've not had any more problems. I don't use the free version of AVG, I buy the disc for mine. In fact, I've bought my yearly update and installed it since starting this thread.

AVG did catch the virus, and since I updated and got rid of the malware, I've been ok. It just puzzles me-I'm not computer savy- that I could get a virus from a reputable site like WS. I have stopped coming to WS daily. I just come in every few days because of this- but I have made exception to that today.
    I have been on many different threads here on WS and have had Zero problems. Kimster, are you saying that AVG failed to protect you from a virus originating on Websleuths or from another source like an E-mail attachment?

If you've caught a virus or trojan while you were on WS, you most likely caught it from a link you've clicked on in the thread you were on. Sometimes WS posts ads that are a problem but it's doubtful that the website itself isn't safe. I have had problems a few times with a link I clicked on and it went crazy replicating itself when I'd try to X out of it, but it wasn't a WS problem. IMO

I use Avast and MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware and have no problems that aren't easily taken care of.

I've gotten several here at WS.
    Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well!
    Proud parent of 3 rescued schnauzers

Quote Originally Posted by MNlady View Post
    If you've caught a virus or trojan while you were on WS, you most likely caught it from a link you've clicked on in the thread you were on. Sometimes WS posts ads that are a problem but it's doubtful that the website itself isn't safe. I have had problems a few times with a link I clicked on and it went crazy replicating itself when I'd try to X out of it, but it wasn't a WS problem. IMO

I use Avast and MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware and have no problems that aren't easily taken care of.
    I don't click on ads period. On any site. Ever. I have however clicked on links within posts that led to news items or other stories in cases within the thread.

I dont think the virus come from the WS web site, I personally think they were on some of the news web links that I clicked on. I know one in particular that I have had problems with in the past. Why the heck I even still click on those links.

I am using Firefox now for WS and able to add attachments. I think my AVG and the IE is why I couldnt do it the other day.