Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

arielilane

Justice for Liz Barraza
Reaction score
Website
www.whokilledlizbarraza.com
True crime author, Ann Rule's book is due out in November 2012. I started this thread so that WS posters can discuss the book. I'm very interested in reading Ms. Rule's (she's a favorite of mine) book .

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/...er-attention-to-spreckels-case-zahau-shacknai

In an interview with Patch, Rule said it was too soon to offer a theory of the case or her impressions of Zahau, but shared some other tidbits from her upcoming book:
  • She talked to two former detectives who disagree with the suicide finding by the San Diego County Sheriffs Department.
  • She received little information from the Sheriffs department. They “seemed very solid in their beliefs that it was a suicide,” Rule said.
  • She also looked into the circumstances surrounding the death of Max Shacknai, 6, who was injured two days before Zahau died.
“I hope I give some new angles and some understanding of the characters,” Rule said, of Zahau, her boyfriend Jonah Shacknai, his late son and others involved in the case.
She did not travel to Coronado or to Arizona, where Shacknai lives, to conduct her research, Rule said, but talked extensively with Zahau's loved ones, who believe she was killed. She also has a long-time friendship with Seattle attorney Anne Bremner, who is representing the Zahau family in their quest to reopen the investigation.
“It seems to me there is so much physical evidence that indicated a homicide rather than a suicide,” she said.
She does not see the case lending itself to another book after her Crime Files collection is released in November, but she also doesn't rule out the possibility of a trial taking place someday.
“This case is sort of hanging in mid-air,” she said. “It could always be re-opened.”

Fatal Friends,Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files Volume 16: Ann Rule: 9781451648287: Amazon.com: [email]Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com[/email]/images/I/51e%2B9Ufp8GL.@@AMEPARAM@@51e%2B9Ufp8GL

How on earth can it be impartial when it says, "She did not travel to Coronado or to Arizona, where Shacknai lives, to conduct her research, Rule said, but talked extensively with Zahau's loved ones, who believe she was killed. She also has a long-time friendship with Seattle attorney Anne Bremner, who is representing the Zahau family in their quest to reopen the investigation."

Ann will give only a one-sided story IMO, and not the truth about either death.

Thank God there is finally a voice for Rebecca. This has been a one-sided investigation from the moment Rebecca's body laid untented for over 13 hours. It is about time. I believe Ann Rule is correct in an impending trial potential.

Bringing this previous post over to this thread, where it fits the thread topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBelle
Dina isn't looking for publicity, she's looking for justice for her son. At least that's what she has said publicly. Until Dina publicly questions the ME's conclusion of suicide in RZ's death, I doubt she will view any book as an opportunity that will benefit her or Max.

JMO

BBM

I disagree rather strongly that Dina has not had the goal of seeking publicity in her quest to bring attention to her theory of how Max died.

She has made rounds of cable TV talk shows, had her Public Relations firm release information about her theories (at least one summary of which was unauthored and unsourced), and given numerous, very lengthy interviews for print and audio media outlets that outline in great detail her suspicions and theories about Rebecca’s involvement in Max’s death. She has started a public blog/ website in her quest, and a change.org petition drive, and has an internet presence with those, as well as the nonprofit she has founded based on her theories that Max was in an unsafe situation in his blended family. So, I strongly disagree that she is not seeking publicity.

I do not doubt that her use of publicity is for the purpose of furthering her theories of how Max died, and that she believes she is seeking justice for that theoretical scenario. I do believe she is grieving, but I also believe she has a very deliberate plan devised with her team of attorneys and PR people that makes use of public interest to further her stated goals of having Max’s case reopened. She has also publicly stated that a wrongful death suit is her "last resort", so there can be no doubt that she is seriously considering civil litigation.

I would be very happy to see Max’s case reopened, in conjunction with Rebecca’s case, because I believe reinvestigation of both cases will bring more solid proof and answers to each case. I believe that reopening Max’s case will also demonstrate more evidence that Rebecca did not commit suicide. I know that seems remote to a few.

So, I do believe that “any” publicity that draws official attention, and public attention, to these 2 cases is good for both cases. That’s why I think Dina should welcome the coming attention with Ann Rule’s book, and I hope she is able to put together a plan to use this book release to her advantage. Any attention is good for both cases. I hope the Zahaus’ also will make use of this opportunity.

It is possible that there will be nothing in Ann Rule’s book that will support Dina’s theories of how Max died. Yet, there are still many ways to use that to her advantage. Her PR firm can advise her.

And I will state again, it’s my opinion that the best way for both families to persuade authorities to reopen the cases, is to give the impression to the public and the authorities that they are BOTH united in this quest. Their respective lawyers can work out how that is launched.

I definitely would be interested in seeing Ann Rule, the Zahau family representatives, Dina, and Dr. Phil (or Dr. Drew) engage in a publicly broadcast conversation.

I think Dina would be foolish to treat Ann Rule’s book release with silence, or anything like disdain. Ann Rule has a large population of loyal readers. Dina should welcome the publicity, and the opportunities that come with it, imo. For furthering the truth of what happened to Max.

How on earth can it be impartial when it says, "She did not travel to Coronado or to Arizona, where Shacknai lives, to conduct her research, Rule said, but talked extensively with Zahau's loved ones, who believe she was killed. She also has a long-time friendship with Seattle attorney Anne Bremner, who is representing the Zahau family in their quest to reopen the investigation."

Ann will give only a one-sided story IMO, and not the truth about either death.

Did Ann Rule ever say her book would give equal weight to all theories about both deaths? I don't think anyone ever expected her book to entertain every wild theory that could be imagined.

There has been print and interview time given to publicizing the "other" side, meaning, Dina Shacknai's theories about Max and Rebecca's deaths. So why is it a bad thing for a book to be produced that may favor the reinvestigation of Rebecca's death? We don't know what is actually in the book, at this point, other than a bit of advance publicity.

There is a very tiny minority of people who believe Max was killed in anything other than an accident. There are many, many people who believe the conclusion of suicide in Rebecca's death was incorrect, and that Rebecca was murdered. Murdered as a rage filled, and vengeful act of retribution for Max's accident. Many people believe that the LE handling of BOTH deaths was less than stellar, and made many missteps. Many people support the reopening of BOTH death investigations.

I think many will welcome the renewed publicity and attention to both cases that will follow Ann Rule's book release November 27.

You can't take someone to trial for a suicide.

Ann Rule was referring to a future trial for someone's prosecution for Rebecca's murder, imo. (Or more than one person.) Maybe that wasn't clear enough from her comments?

Thought I'd bring this post over to this thread, too. (Sorry I got it out of order; it was originally posted above, or prior to the other post I brought over.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dina has sought many avenues to bring public attention to her quest to reopen Max's death investigation. I wonder if she has given serious thought to contacting Ann Rule and her publishers? What a golden opportunity for Dina! After all, with Ann Rule's book due out in just a few weeks, there could be opportunity for Dina to piggyback onto the promotion of the book. Her PR firm and attorney could make the overtures and see if there is interest on the part of Ann Rule and her publishers.

Ann Rule has many fans, and this could be an opportunity for both. Dina could reach a wider audience to deliver her message about her theory that Max was assaulted by Rebecca, and recruit members of the public to her website to sign her petition.

Ann Rule and her publisher could benefit from making appearances together with Dina. Personally, I'd be very interested to see Ann Rule and Dr. Phil have an interview/ discussion together with Dina-- Ann Rule has a lot of experience with criminal investigations. That would be a very interesting conversation to watch, and would bring a lot of public attention to Dina's theories about Max's accident. In fact, if the Zahau family were also invited to participate, both cases and the book would receive more publicity than either case, or the book alone.
And potentially attention by the AG and other authorities. Truly a "win-win" situation for everyone involved, don't you think?

I suspect Dina won't let this opportunity pass-- there is sure to be renewed interest in both cases when the book is released. I suspect we'll hear "something" from Dina publicly around the time of the book release-- that's my prediction

I'm anxious to see what Ann Rule's insights are! :rocker:

I'm anxious to see what Ann Rule's insights are! :rocker:

Ann Rule was successful in defending a defamation lawsuit regarding the Liysa Northon case on her book Heart Full of Lies. Writing about JS in particular may require that sort of expertise in how she crafts the new book. I'm sure she will be expert in telling the story appropriate to the facts to cover herself. Truth telling is easily defensible.

I don't expect her book to have any bombshells. I think it will be a fairly predictable summary and retelling of the circumstances of both deaths. However, I also expect that it will have the unique opinions and interpretation of these events from the perspective of an experienced crime investigator and writer.

I don't expect her book to have any bombshells. I think it will be a fairly predictable summary and retelling of the circumstances of both deaths. However, I also expect that it will have the unique opinions and interpretation of these events from the perspective of an experienced crime investigator and writer.

I don't disagree but the threat of litigation will stll be handled gingerly IMO.

I don't disagree but the threat of litigation will stll be handled gingerly IMO.

Oh yes-- total agreement there! It will be very "PC". Carefully worded.

Actually, I suspect she will be more "open" in her opinions in interviews, and less guarded. Which is why the book publicity interviews will be interesting.

Actually, I really hope that her book was not already at the press when Dina and her allegations about her theories of Max's death were released.

I'm interested in knowing what Ann Rule thinks about Dina's theories, and how Dina has gone about publicizing those theories. She might have some very interesting and unique perspectives on Dina's theories. And how Dina has pursued those theories.

arielilane-- would you consider posting a poll about Ann Rule's book?

"Will you read Ann Rule's book? Yes or No."

Or something similar.

Thanks for considering this. It might be a nice companion to this thread.

Official description trailer for Ann Rule's new book: (snipped)

In July 2011, a billionaire’s Coronado, California, mansion was the setting for two horrifying deaths only days apart—his young son’s plunge from a balcony and his girlfriend’s ghastly hanging. What really happened? Baffling questions remain unanswered, as these cases were closed far too soon for hundreds of people; Rule looks at them now through the eyes of a relentless crime reporter.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Fatal-Friends-Deadly-Neighbors/Ann-Rule/9781451648287

Billionaire Jonah Shacknai's eight-year-old son dies falling off a balcony in his mansion. Several days later, Jonah's live-in girlfriend, Rebecca, is found hanging, nude, with her hands tied behind her. There is an ineffective police investigation that rules her death a suicide. However, this seems unlikely to all around her. There are several suspects in this case: Jonah's brother, Adam, a tugboat captain and *advertiser censored* aficionado from Memphis, arrived in Coronado the day after Max, the child, fell. There are Jonah's two ex-wives, the second being Max's mother. Ann Rule, with her reporter's nose, delves into this mysterious unsolved case.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Fatal...e/9781451648287?b=-3&t=-20#Fulldescription-20

http://www.highlighthollywood.com/2...ng-death-highlight-hollywood-world-exclusive/

From 2011. Ann Rule was planning this book for quite a while.

Famed crime writer Ann Rule, who is the number one NY Times Bestselling fiction writer has agreed to write the story about this mysterious case involving the violent death of Rebecca Zahau in her billionaire boyfriend’s Coronado, California mansion. Highlight Hollywood can exclusively report that we have confirmed this latest news in the case. Ann Rule is regarded by many as the foremost true crime writer in America, and the author responsible for the genre as it exists today. She came to her career with a solid background in law enforcement and the criminal justice system. Both her grandfather and her uncle were Michigan sheriffs, her cousin was a Prosecuting Attorney and another uncle was the Medical Examiner. Raised in that environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She is a former Seattle Policewoman, former caseworker for the Washington State Department of Public Assistance, former student intern at the Oregon State Training School for Girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401