Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by time View Post
    Ever heard of touch DNA? It requires only very small samples. The point being that there really should not be stranger DNA under Rebecca's fingernails nor in some other places.

I do not think they have yet to get a DNA sample by someone breathing. Gloves would most probably keep DNA from the hands from being left, but of course, not from other areas of a perpetrators body that touched something (like their arms touching the bed posts), or if someone sneezed, or spit, flaked off skin cells, etc. on some object. Trace evidence can be transferred from a person to an object or an object to an object (fibers, hair)

Calling something "trace DNA" does not mean it is old DNA anymore than trace evidence means it is old evidence. I know there are some really good DNA primers online if you look them up.

As I stated, I KNOW about DNA. I was on a three-stirikes case in California that put a rapist away for life. He is now in Susanville prison rotting. So yes, I know about DNA. I put a man away for LIFE because of DNA and other REAL evidence.

So I am WELL aware that juries want real EVIDENCE. Like DNA and FINGERPRINTS. All the things that prove that Rebecca Zahau hung herself.
    Last edited by CuriousGeorgia; 10-15-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousGeorgia View Post
    As I stated, I KNOW about DNA. I was on a three-stirikes case in California that put a rapist away for life. He is now in Susanville prison rotting. So yes, I know about DNA. I put a man away for LIFE because of DNA and other REAL evidence.

So I am WELL aware that juries want real EVIDENCE. Like DNA and FINGERPRINTS. All the things that prove that Rebecca Zahau hung herself.
    Since a glove was found on the scene and taken into evidence, I don't find it reasonable to argue that lack of DNA translates into evidence that no others were involved.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elfie For This Useful Post:

Dina had witnesses to where she was. Nurses. Doctors. Friends. You can say that she was at the mansion all you want to but it just is not true. SDSO would have checked both Dina and Nina's stories with WITNESSES.<snip for brevity>

Can you provide anything, anywhere that validates Dina had witnesses while she was in the hospital for the entire Tuesday after 6 pm until 7 am the next morning? Or at least from 10pm until 7 am?

Dina was not captured on hospital surveillance or we would have heard about it. I have seen no one come forward and say they can verify her whereabouts all those hours.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to time For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elfie View Post
    Since a glove was found on the scene and taken into evidence, I don't find it reasonable to argue that lack of DNA translates into evidence that no others were involved.
    It's unfortunate LE didn't find it necessary to test the blood in the hallway outside the guestroom door. Ditto for the clump of hair found in the shower and the underwear in the guesthouse wastebasket. I'm also confused as to how only Rebecca's DNA could have been found in a home where multiple occupants resided. Or did they discount DNA from residents of the home as not relevant? Does anyone know?

Furthermore, I wish they would've checked out Rebecca's phone within a month of her death instead of waiting until a day or two after the supposed trigger voice mail was purged from servers. And why haven't they returned the phone to Rebecca's family? Does anyone know? Has an explanation been provided?

As for DS's whereabouts, I believe Gore said they established this by cell phone pings in the vicinity of the hospital (how close I don't know) and he specifically stated she was not captured on videotape at the hospital that evening.

I'm not sure these comments belong on this thread, but I'm responding to postings on this thread. Moderators should feel free to move them.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zinn For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry, but I find that scary given what you have said about DNA evidence. I don't know what REAL evidence h as to do with it. All evidence is real unless it was planted.

Lack of DNA evidence does not prove Rebecca hung herself. I don't even know how you can say that. Besides, I also pointed out it could be lack of more sensitive testing employed. It could also be just a lack of testing in this case! They didn't even test the blood in the bathroom.

Any DNA, even mixed, on the inside door, bedframe, the outside doors, and balcony rail for DNA could possibly show a profile given advanced testing.

And, again Trace DNA is not old DNA. Touch DNA is more a technique than the evidence itself.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to time For This Useful Post:

Trace dna defintion

Just so no one gets confused on what it IS:

"Trace DNA samples may be defined as any sample which falls below recommended thresholds at any stage of the analysis, from sample detection through to profile interpretation, and can not be defined by a precise picogram amount. Here we review aspects associated with the collection, DNA extraction, amplification, profiling and interpretation of trace DNA samples."

http://www.investigativegenetics.com/content/1/1/14

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to time For This Useful Post:

You can't measure trace DNA. That's really all you need to know it in this case. Regardless of what any of us think about the DNA, the investigators that took the samples and saw the results had no question that Rebecca hung herself.

Quote Originally Posted by elfie View Post
    all LE can follow is evidence that leads them to a conclusion. Trace DNA isn't necessarily evidence of a crime.

Lack of evidence that anyone else stood on the balcony or touched the railing does point to a suicide.

JMO

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyBelle For This Useful Post:

You can't measure trace DNA. That's really all you need to know it in this case. Regardless of what any of us think about the DNA, the investigators that took the samples and saw the results had no question that Rebecca hung herself.
    I agree. They looked and found nothing. If somebody else had been there, there would be some type of evidence such as shoeprints in the thick dust.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyBelle For This Useful Post:

bourne is offline "The truth shall set you free." ~JUSTICE FOR REBECCA ZAHAU
    <modsnip>?

You must be behind in your science because even way back in 2002 there have been research that indicate that trace evidence such as trace DNA can be used for investigative analysis. Here is one such article: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/fore...01/stouder.htm

There have been many many advancements in DNA technology in the past decade including the ability to amplify trace, minute DNA. <modsnip>.

Here is a more recent 2012 article: http://forensicarchaeology.org/archives/313
    Last edited by Salem; 10-16-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Please leave the snark and personalization out of it!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bourne For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post
    all LE can follow is evidence that leads them to a conclusion. Trace DNA isn't necessarily evidence of a crime.

Lack of evidence that anyone else stood on the balcony or touched the railing does point to a suicide.

JMO
    The glove itself is evidence. Certainly it should have been tested for DNA and fingerprints.

Ignoring evidence of anyone else on the balcony is not lack of evidence.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elfie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bourne View Post
    <modsnip>?

You must be behind in your science because even way back in 2002 there have been research that indicate that trace evidence such as trace DNA can be used for investigative analysis. Here is one such article: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/fore...01/stouder.htm

There have been many many advancements in DNA technology in the past decade including the ability to amplify trace, minute DNA. <modsnip>.

Please enlighten me. If you can't measure DNA, how do you tell whose it is?

I did not say I was an expert. I said I served on a jury that put someone away for LIFE because of DNA. In 2005. And all 12 jurors convicted the man because of DNA.

But I truly am interested in hearing how DNA is measure when there is not enough to measure...
    Last edited by Salem; 10-16-2012 at 05:56 PM.

BTW, the first link was useless. It is about a study of measurable DNA.

The second link said, "It is sometimes possible to gain viable DNA profiles from highly degraded samples that may be old or may have been subjected to outside interference."

So that much different that what I said.

The DNA at the scene that was NOT Rebecca's was not even enough to MEASURE. So please tell me, if the DNA cannot be MEASURED, which is how you get a genetic profile, HOW are you going to get that information from it?

Answer: Can't be done.

<modsnip>?

There have been many many advancements in DNA technology in the past decade including the ability to amplify trace, minute DNA. You need to catch up with the science.

Thank ypu for bringing today into the equation.
    Last edited by Salem; 10-16-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    All of my posts are simply thought-starters and are not meant to be implications in any way, shape or form.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justice be served For This Useful Post:

<modsnip>

There have been many many advancements in DNA technology in the past decade including the ability to amplify trace, minute DNA. <modsnip>

Well, we do know that Dina is a "scientist" because she said so herself...........
    Last edited by Salem; 10-16-2012 at 05:55 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inparadise For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast