996 users online (174 members and 822 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NE - North Platte, WhtMale UP10272, 43-55, Apr'12 - Denys Hughes

Status Unidentified
    Case number 12-3099
    Date found April 20, 2012 00:00
    https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10272
    Minimum age 43 years
    Maximum age 55 years
    Race White
    Ethnicity
    Sex Male
    Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
    Height (inches) 65, Estimated

City North Platte
    State Nebraska
    Zip code 69101
    Body located along the South Platte River. No sign of foul play. subject appeared to have removed his shoes and laid down under a small tree to rest. Forensic reports to follow.

Red tint/brownish longer hair
    Sturnum had 7 wires attached. indicating some type of surgery in the chest.
    large finger nails
    small stature, well muscled
    had a front tooth (Flipper) retainer, gold crown, porcelin filings, root canals. very recent dental work (Root canal) hole drilled above gold crown (Very recent work prior to death) The gold crown had been in place for a long period of time.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 04-13-2013 at 10:25 AM.

http://lexch.com/news/regional/image...9bb2963f4.html

Images of deceased man released-sheriff's office asks for help with identification

Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:06 am | Updated: 11:06 am, Thu Nov 29, 2012.

by HEATHER JOHNSON North Platte Telegraph

The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office is reaching out to the public for help identifying a man whose badly decomposed body was found last spring along the South Platte River.

On Wednesday, the sheriff's office released images of what the man is believed to have looked like before he died. A team of forensic artists in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., created the renderings after studying the man's skull.

The body was discovered April 20. It was found about a half mile west of U.S. Highway 83 on private property. Kramer said, based on the man's location, it's believed that he was a transient.

"It looked like he had bedded down under a tree in the South Platte River bottom," Kramer said. "He was also near a transient camp."
    from http://www.nptelegraph.com/news/myst...44bfd40ce.html

In the article, it also says the body was badly decomposed.

I believe I am correct in saying we don't know what color the UID's eyes are. They just guessed blue for the recreation.

I also think the hair color is up for grabs. It is described as brown with reddish tint (auburn) but they lightened it up to strawberry blonde for the recreation since decomposition darkens it. But do they know how much it darkens it?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14665/3

This man looks similar, has reddish hair, disappeared from next state and appropriate time BUT his height is incredibly off.

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14665/3

This man looks similar, has reddish hair, disappeared from next state and appropriate time BUT his height is incredibly off.
    he does look similar, and in fairness, your missing guy's height range is already pretty huge. may be worth looking into

Certainly a strong facial resemblance, and he sounds like the kind of guy who might have gone transient, but it's hard to get from, "Geez, this dude is really tall" to 5'5". But it's probably worth calling in anyway. Heights have been known to be wrong before.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Certainly a strong facial resemblance, and he sounds like the kind of guy who might have gone transient, but it's hard to get from, "Geez, this dude is really tall" to 5'5". But it's probably worth calling in anyway. Heights have been known to be wrong before.
    I have been trying to find a second reporting of the height of the UID to make sure there is no mistake (you know the 65 inches is really 6 ft 5).

Really is discouraging when someone is homeless or transient. You never know when/if their family reported them missing.

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    I have been trying to find a second reporting of the height of the UID to make sure there is no mistake (you know the 65 inches is really 6 ft 5).

Really is discouraging when someone is homeless or transient. You never know when/if their family reported them missing.
    Hm, the UID's could be off that way.

Yeah, it is discouraging. Every time I see somebody like this, I think it could be my neighbor's uncle, who has been living on the road for about 20 years. He's not exactly homeless but he sure can't hold down a job because of his mental/emotional problems, and nobody in the family has seen or heard from him for about ten years...but the contacts were getting fewer and farther between, so they don't know whether that means anything...I told them to report him anyway but they don't want to do that.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Well, I looked around a bit and couldn't find much. Vengrin is estimated to be 6 ft 1 (I am guessing this is from a driver's license) and the UID is estimated to be 5 ft 4 to 5 ft 5. I just can't get past that. Even if Vengrin "fudged" his height a bit I could see him being 5 ft 11. Anyway, so I will put this one a "no go" for me.

Side note: Reading the Vengrin case, well, landlord would certainly be a POI.

back to the drawing board.

am I alone in finding it a bizarre conclusion that the deceased was a transient when he very recently had a root canal done?

I would think that a better approach would be to circulate the man's image to all dentists/oral surgeons in a 100 mile radius to see if they recognize the patient.

I'm curious about the sternal wires and the 'large fingernails'. There is a condition of the fingernails called 'clubbing' in which the nails take on a distinctive shape. It is usually the result of chronic hypoxia (low oxygen levels) and is typically seen in persons with emphysema / pulmonary fibrosis and certain types of cyanotic heart defects. It develops over time, but once the nails form this way, even correcting the underlying defect does not correct the nail malformation.
    A person with this type of heart defect would CERTAINLY be a candidate for pre-dental prophylactic antibiotics. This might make a patient stand out in a dentist /oral surgeon's mind more readily.
    Nail clubbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I would think that a better approach would be to circulate the man's image to all dentists/oral surgeons in a 100 mile radius to see if they recognize the patient.
    That does seem like a logical starting point. Given the attention (the reconstruction and various articles written) that this man has been given
    I am assuming* that LE has already done that? North Platte isn't that big of a place (25,000??). Remember that I-80 runs right through here, so he could have gotten the work done in most cities along that route. It looks like Denver, Omaha and Lincoln are the closest major cities.

My little city of 100,000 has free or low cost dental clinics. I would think most cities of that size or bigger would have something similar. I would imagine that the problem is where to start. LE can't very well look through hundreds if not thousands of dental records looking for a match and it is doubtful that someone would remember him from a clinic setting where they see lots of people- and fast- and they are not regular clients. I guess it couldn't hurt, though. JMO

*but we all know what assume means : ass u me

I would think a free or low cost dental clinic might do an extraction. I can't see them doing a root canal for free, besides the UID had other expensive dental work done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast