Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) 65, Estimated

City North Platte
State Nebraska
Zip code 69101
Body located along the South Platte River. No sign of foul play. subject appeared to have removed his shoes and laid down under a small tree to rest. Forensic reports to follow.

Red tint/brownish longer hair
Sturnum had 7 wires attached. indicating some type of surgery in the chest.
large finger nails
small stature, well muscled
had a front tooth (Flipper) retainer, gold crown, porcelin filings, root canals. very recent dental work (Root canal) hole drilled above gold crown (Very recent work prior to death) The gold crown had been in place for a long period of time.

http://lexch.com/news/regional/images-of-deceased-man-released-sheriff-s-office-asks-for/article_cfd492e4-3a3e-11e2-a166-0019bb2963f4.html

Images of deceased man released-sheriff's office asks for help with identification

Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:06 am | Updated: 11:06 am, Thu Nov 29, 2012.

by HEATHER JOHNSON North Platte Telegraph

50b79613b2532.image.jpg

The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office is reaching out to the public for help identifying a man whose badly decomposed body was found last spring along the South Platte River.

On Wednesday, the sheriff's office released images of what the man is believed to have looked like before he died. A team of forensic artists in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., created the renderings after studying the man's skull.

The body was discovered April 20. It was found about a half mile west of U.S. Highway 83 on private property. Kramer said, based on the man's location, it's believed that he was a transient.

"It looked like he had bedded down under a tree in the South Platte River bottom," Kramer said. "He was also near a transient camp."

from http://www.nptelegraph.com/news/mysterious-body-gets-a-face/article_1869fdb1-471b-57ee-b14c-73944bfd40ce.html

In the article, it also says the body was badly decomposed.

I believe I am correct in saying we don't know what color the UID's eyes are. They just guessed blue for the recreation.

I also think the hair color is up for grabs. It is described as brown with reddish tint (auburn) but they lightened it up to strawberry blonde for the recreation since decomposition darkens it. But do they know how much it darkens it?

Certainly a strong facial resemblance, and he sounds like the kind of guy who might have gone transient, but it's hard to get from, "Geez, this dude is really tall" to 5'5". But it's probably worth calling in anyway. Heights have been known to be wrong before.

Certainly a strong facial resemblance, and he sounds like the kind of guy who might have gone transient, but it's hard to get from, "Geez, this dude is really tall" to 5'5". But it's probably worth calling in anyway. Heights have been known to be wrong before.

I have been trying to find a second reporting of the height of the UID to make sure there is no mistake (you know the 65 inches is really 6 ft 5).

Really is discouraging when someone is homeless or transient. You never know when/if their family reported them missing.

I have been trying to find a second reporting of the height of the UID to make sure there is no mistake (you know the 65 inches is really 6 ft 5).

Really is discouraging when someone is homeless or transient. You never know when/if their family reported them missing.

Hm, the UID's could be off that way.

Yeah, it is discouraging. Every time I see somebody like this, I think it could be my neighbor's uncle, who has been living on the road for about 20 years. He's not exactly homeless but he sure can't hold down a job because of his mental/emotional problems, and nobody in the family has seen or heard from him for about ten years...but the contacts were getting fewer and farther between, so they don't know whether that means anything...I told them to report him anyway but they don't want to do that.

Well, I looked around a bit and couldn't find much. Vengrin is estimated to be 6 ft 1 (I am guessing this is from a driver's license) and the UID is estimated to be 5 ft 4 to 5 ft 5. I just can't get past that. Even if Vengrin "fudged" his height a bit I could see him being 5 ft 11. Anyway, so I will put this one a "no go" for me.

Side note: Reading the Vengrin case, well, landlord would certainly be a POI.

back to the drawing board.

am I alone in finding it a bizarre conclusion that the deceased was a transient when he very recently had a root canal done?

I would think that a better approach would be to circulate the man's image to all dentists/oral surgeons in a 100 mile radius to see if they recognize the patient.

I'm curious about the sternal wires and the 'large fingernails'. There is a condition of the fingernails called 'clubbing' in which the nails take on a distinctive shape. It is usually the result of chronic hypoxia (low oxygen levels) and is typically seen in persons with emphysema / pulmonary fibrosis and certain types of cyanotic heart defects. It develops over time, but once the nails form this way, even correcting the underlying defect does not correct the nail malformation.
A person with this type of heart defect would CERTAINLY be a candidate for pre-dental prophylactic antibiotics. This might make a patient stand out in a dentist /oral surgeon's mind more readily.
Nail clubbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would think that a better approach would be to circulate the man's image to all dentists/oral surgeons in a 100 mile radius to see if they recognize the patient.

That does seem like a logical starting point. Given the attention (the reconstruction and various articles written) that this man has been given
I am assuming* that LE has already done that? North Platte isn't that big of a place (25,000??). Remember that I-80 runs right through here, so he could have gotten the work done in most cities along that route. It looks like Denver, Omaha and Lincoln are the closest major cities.

My little city of 100,000 has free or low cost dental clinics. I would think most cities of that size or bigger would have something similar. I would imagine that the problem is where to start. LE can't very well look through hundreds if not thousands of dental records looking for a match and it is doubtful that someone would remember him from a clinic setting where they see lots of people- and fast- and they are not regular clients. I guess it couldn't hurt, though. JMO

*but we all know what assume means : *advertiser censored* u me

I would think a free or low cost dental clinic might do an extraction. I can't see them doing a root canal for free, besides the UID had other expensive dental work done.

I would think a free or low cost dental clinic might do an extraction. I can't see them doing a root canal for free, besides the UID had other expensive dental work done.

Not necessarily. If it's associated with a dental school, they'll perform a full spectrum of work so their students can get some experience. The quality is often -- usually -- very high.

I am sure different free/low cost clinics and universities have different criteria and scope of service, but the one here does everything. The more complicated work (implants and the like) take months of "waiting in line".

I didn't see any in North Platte, but I did see listings for Lincoln and Omaha- about 6 different dental for each city. A university clinic was listed for Omaha IIRC- like carbuff said they tend to do more than typical clinics. So I think those cities would be good to check MP reports as well as Denver.

If nothing else, circulating the description to dentist's offices might get them to remember someone who started a root canal procedure and never came back to complete it. I imagine that LE has probably done that.

What are all the possible types of chest procedures that utilize 7 sternal wires?

What are all the possible types of chest procedures that utilize 7 sternal wires?

Pretty much any open heart procedure - CABG (bypass), valve replacement and any repair of a congenital heart defect done in childhood. (There are a crap TON of ways you can be born with a jacked up heart - I should know, I take care of them in the PICU) BUT this UID is too old for most of them (in other words, most of these conditions were fatal before the development of PGE1 and bypass procedures for infants)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back