1472 users online (331 members and 1141 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TX - Johnson Co., 'Mr. X' WhtMale UP11445, 25-35, @ Matlock Ranch, Dec'72

I just read this article and could find nothing on NAMUS or Doe Network...

http://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/l...olve-Mr-X-case

October 16, 2012
    Cold case squad hopes to solve ‘Mr. X’ case

By Pete Kendall/Special to the CTR

Turning back the investigative clock some 40 years, Johnson County Sheriff’s Office officials are seeking the identity of a Caucasian male found shot to death in far west Johnson County on Dec. 11, 1972.

The nude body of “Mr. X,” as the deceased was labeled by a Dallas pathologist, was discovered in a clump of cedars on Matlock Ranch by rancher Sam Miller of Cleburne Rt. 2. Miller saw vultures lighting in the area, went to investigate and called Sheriff Cliff Benson with news of the find from a nearby house.

Mr. X, reported to be about 30 years of age, was sprawled behind a tree, 50 yards south of the present County Road 1131, located 14 miles west of Cleburne and less than a mile from the Hood County line. CR 1131 intersects Farm-to-Market Road 4.
    Mr. X had been dead about four days. He was 5-foot-6 with short, brown, curly hair and no visible scars or tattoos. Varmints had removed several body parts, including the eyes.
    A reporter mentions in the article that someone came into the newspaper office (sounds like it was in the 1990s) and said they knew who did it and it was in relation to drug dealing. What's not explained is why that was never followed up?

If anyone can find any Doe or NAMUS links, please post as I may have missed them.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-13-2013 at 02:53 AM.

He's not in NamUs at this time. NamUs only has three male UIDs from Texas in 1972 -- two in Harris County and one in Nueces.

I wonder how far Cleburne is from Pasadena where David Waggoner went missing? Sorry, I am very unfamiliar with Texas. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/997/40

253 miles. Hope he gets identified and brought home.
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

David Waggoner has no DNA, dentals or fingerprints. But two skull fractures and a broken collar bone will make any possible ids easier.
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

I couldn't find him in the Texas DPS database, either.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

A new article and an artist's rendition which isn't the best unfortunately...

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/07...te-sketch.html

Authorities hope composite sketch will help ID man slain 40 years ago in Johnson County
    Posted Wednesday, Jul. 10, 2013

By Deanna Boyd

He has gone without a name for more than four decades.

Investigators believe the Caucasian man was around 30 when he was slain, shot three times and then dumped in a field 57 yards off Road 1131A on the Matlock Ranch, a little more than 14 miles northwest of Cleburne.

A rancher discovered his body, nude and decomposing near a cedar thicket on Dec. 11, 1972....

alreetlike is offline All human wisdom is summed up in these two words -- wait and hope
    I'm hesitant to criticise when I couldn't do any better myself, but I'm really not too impressed with that drawing. The chin area seems huge.

But then again, someone else could look at the picture and immediately say "oh, that's XX" so fingers crossed.

So I went looking for guys with huge chins who went missing in 1972.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4406dmwi.html

James Egan is a little too young at 18, a little too tall at 5'9". He's from Wisconsin but went missing in August 1972 while hitching rides from San Francisco to Denver.

He has a considerable chin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carbuff; 07-17-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: forgot to add the link!

Two other guys with chins: Alewijn Sterk missing from Amsterdam in the Netherlands in April 1972 and Steven Norman Chait missing from NYC in March 1972. Chait is way out of line on all the parameters. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/75dmny.html

Sterk might be a possibility though. He's also too young at 21, but his height at 170cm is spot on and he's described as being part of the alternative nonviolent movement. Many Europeans came to the US in 1972 to become involved in the antiwar movement and the US presidential election.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1052dmnet.html

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    So I went looking for guys with huge chins who went missing in 1972.

James Egan is a little too young at 18, a little too tall at 5'9". He's from Wisconsin but went missing in August 1972 while hitching rides from San Francisco to Denver.

He has a considerable chin.
    There is an uncanny resemblance to the face shape - the square long jaw, and the proportions.
    When I saw the sketch I didn't think it would be possible to match anyone with it - but that's pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
    There is an uncanny resemblance to the face shape - the square long jaw, and the proportions.
    When I saw the sketch I didn't think it would be possible to match anyone with it - but that's pretty close.
    Yeah, and that cute little nose.

I'm pretty sure that's a doctored postmortem photo. You can usually tell by the rigid unnatural smile with the lips drawn back like a snarl. So I think we're definitely looking for somebody with an aggressive chin.

I only had time to check doenet this morning. I'll start going through the other sites later.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Yeah, and that cute little nose.

I'm pretty sure that's a doctored postmortem photo. You can usually tell by the rigid unnatural smile with the lips drawn back like a snarl. So I think we're definitely looking for somebody with an aggressive chin.

I only had time to check doenet this morning. I'll start going through the other sites later.
    Ah, I didn't know that about the sketch (mouth & teeth) - thankyou.
    I also noticed the sketch doesn't have ears (as such) also.

More info on the UID
    The victim was 5-foot-6-inches tall and weighed 110 pounds. He had slightly curly, dark brown hair but no facial hair. His side burns came to his earlobes but were not heavy.

He was nude when found and appeared to have been in the field at least four days. He’d been shot in the left chest, right forearm and the middle finger of his right hand.
    Read more here:

Quote Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
    Ah, I didn't know that about the sketch (mouth & teeth) - thankyou.
    I also noticed the sketch doesn't have ears (as such) also.

More info on the UID

Read more here:
    Well, I'm only guessing about this particular sketch, but I know it's often a problem with reconstructions done from post-mortem photos, even very good ones.

Thanks for the stats. Egan is listed at 130 lbs and Sterk is "thin build," so I think either one could fit.

One of the articles mentions that the rodents had been at him, so I presume that's why the ear area is hidden. Sterk's ears seem to be very small and very far back on his head, though.

NamUs 1659 William Ellis is a little older (38-39) and went missing 1971 from Baltimore Marylands - I cant tell the colour of his hair except it was dark and has a slight wave - and it could have grown on a a year. Height is spot on 5'6" (66") weight is under though he may have lost weight?
    Thoughts?
    NamUs William Ellis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast