Would you read Ann Rule's book -

Would you read Ann Rule's book?

• Yes

Votes: 55 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • I am unsure if I would read the book at this time. Do not know.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • No, I feel the book would be bias

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Yes, I feel the book would be non-bias

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Yes, but I have not followed the story, I would purchase to read the Powell story

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Yes, to read both stories

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

arielilane

Justice for Liz Barraza
Reaction score
Website
www.whokilledlizbarraza.com

Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files Volume 16

In July 2011, a billionaire’s Coronado, California, mansion was the setting for two horrifying deaths only days apart—his young son’s plunge from a balcony and his girlfriend’s ghastly hanging. What really happened? Baffling questions remain unanswered, as these cases were closed far too soon for hundreds of people; Rule looks at them now through the eyes of a relentless crime reporter.

Fatal Friends,Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files Volume 16: Ann Rule: 9781451648287: Amazon.com: [email]Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com[/email]/images/I/51e%2B9Ufp8GL.@@AMEPARAM@@51e%2B9Ufp8GL

http://authorannrule.com/

Thank you for voting.

Wow, being first to post in a poll is cool - my side got 100% of the votes!

Yes. I'll read Ann's book, because I hope she's going to find the missing clue that makes these deaths make sense.

Looks like the book's teaser description has been changed:

TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT

It’s a chilling reality that homicide investigators know all too well: the last face most murder victims see is not that of a stranger, but of someone familiar. Whether only an acquaintance or a trusted intimate, such killers share a common trait that triggers the downward spiral toward death for someone close to them: they are masters at hiding who they really are. Their clever masks let them appear safe, kind, and truthful. They are anything but—and almost no one can detect the murderous impulses buried deep in their psyches.

These doomed relationships are the focus of Ann Rule’s sixteenth all-new Crime Files collection. In these shattering inside views of both headlined and little-known homicides, Rule speaks for vulnerable victims who relied on the wrong people. She begins with two startling novella-length investigations.

In July 2011, a billionaire’s Coronado, California, mansion was the setting for two horrifying deaths only days apart—his young son’s plunge from a balcony and his girlfriend’s ghastly hanging. What really happened? Baffling questions remain unanswered, as these cases were closed far too soon for hundreds of people; Rule looks at them now through the eyes of a relentless crime reporter. The second probe began in Utah when Susan Powell vanished in a 2009 blizzard. Her controlling husband, Josh, proved capable of a blind rage that was heartbreakingly fatal to his innocent small sons almost three years later in a tragedy that shocked America as the details unfolded. If anyone had detected the depth of depravity within Josh Powell, perhaps the family that loved and trusted him would have been saved. In these and seven other riveting cases, Ann Rule exposes the twisted truth behind the façades of Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Fatal-Friends-Deadly-Neighbors/Ann-Rule/9781451648287

I have read every Ann Rule book she has ever written, but this book I will not read! I've always loved Ann's books for being straight up and un-bias.. this book seems to be only told by the girlfriends family? I want the whole truth.. period, not just one sided.. ~~~just sayin

I'll read the book. I definitely think it will be "biased." And I'm fine with that. Ann Rule never promised to give every viewpoint equal weight or equal time. She calls it as she see it, based on her extensive experience. Bias is the same thing as opinion. She has no obligation to be unbiased.

I read and listened to Dina's interviews, too. And I read her "Boy, Interrupted" article. I expected that article to be very biased, and filled with baseless accusations. I was right in my expectations. Dina also has no obligation to be unbiased.

I have read every Ann Rule book she has ever written, but this book I will not read! I've always loved Ann's books for being straight up and un-bias.. this book seems to be only told by the girlfriends family? I want the whole truth.. period, not just one sided.. ~~~just sayin

Interesting. I've not read a single book of Ann Rule's. But I'll read this one, because of my interest in the injustice of Rebecca's murder.

I don't mind someone being biased to some extent..but not to the extent they want me to pay them for it. If it's a free article etc no problem but I hate to pay for bias.

Yes, I most likely will read it. I read most of her books. I'm interested in her opinions and interpretations as well as the facts. If she chooses to focus on the story from only one side -- which I do not get from the blurbs -- I find that interesting in itself even if I don't agree.

I am going to have to guess that the release of this book is counterproductive to the desires of Jonah Shacknai and his massive legal and PR team at shutting down the chatter. For that reason, and to counteract the continuing effort of the before-mentioned which I find to be strange in those efforts, i am thrilled that the book will further publicize this case and hopefully lead to more voices supporting a reopening of an unbiased reinvestigation.

Unitil Jennifer Vigil of the Coronado Patch reports that Jonah has moved back in, I am not inclined to believe that he has. So far, there has been no confirmation from her.

I've read quite a few of Ann's books in the past and have always learned a lot from them. So yes, I'll read this one as well.

If Jonah seeks to prevent her from publishing this book, it will only backfire on him. Doing so would only make it appear to the reading public that he's trying to hide something, and there are obviously a lot of people who read Ann Rule's books.

I've read quite a few of Ann's books in the past and have always learned a lot from them. So yes, I'll read this one as well.

If Jonah seeks to prevent her from publishing this book, it will only backfire on him. Doing so would only make it appear to the reading public that he's trying to hide something, and there are obviously a lot of people who read Ann Rule's books.

If Jonah did attempt to prevent the book's publication, yes, it would show his colors. No different than everything else he has done to date IMO.

Jennifer Vigil is the Editor of the Coronado Patch. If Jonah had moved back in, she would have had an article about it. I have no doubt about that.

Well, this must be a very important and powerful information source in the area.

Or one that is obsessed with Jonah Shacknai's whereabouts? Paparazzi?

I didn't know pharmaceutical company CEO's had fan groupies! (That's kind of fun to think about!) "Men of pharmaceuticals"-- could be a cool calendar! :)

I've read two books authored by Ann Rule and they were very well-written and informative about the circumstances and power players in the cases.

I will definitely read this latest book. Love a good mystery especially one that is nonfiction and includes real investigative procedures :) I have no personal agenda in either the Zahau or the Powell cases so I'd like to read a 3rd party perspective, along with insider info, on both.

Thanks Arielilane for your polls! :)

Let us remember that Ann Rule stated in an interview that SDSO declined speaking with her I believe. Seems she didn't have a choice in the matter of receiving direct input from them. That is intereting in and of itself.

Let us remember that Ann Rule stated in an interview that SDSO declined speaking with her I believe. Seems she didn't have a choice in the matter of receiving direct input from them. That is intereting in and of itself.

They will come to regret that decision.

I voted an unequivocal YES.

SDSO did not want to talk with Rule. We can be sure Jonah didn't want to. I imagine she made up a lot of her own mind on the evidence made available to her. As far as interviewing Dina or Nina, it seems to me that most of what you'd get from them is already online.

I am also interested in the Powell story, but other than weird curiosities spewed out, I don't think Rule would benefit from interviewing daddy Powell - not saying I know if she did or didn't, but nothing would be gained from it except more weird stuff to relay.

I am the sole vote for yes I would read the book and I believe it will be non bias. I have read enough of Ann's books to believe she is about telling truths to the degree she can ferret out the information. I also don't believe anyone OWNS Anne - she has a law enforcement background, her family has been in forensic science and she is a pure professional. Cannot wait for her reporting on this most unusual case. Hopefully she will touch on the overwhelming social media interest as well and the strong-arming of PR and legal interferences. JMO

<modsnip>

Just from the blurb promoting her book, I think her focus will be more on the family's feelings of "rush to judgment" and leave it at that. Just because a family is unhappy with LE conclusions is not a good enough reason to throw more taxpayer funds at new investigations. The AG's response to Shacknai pointed that out quite clearly.

If the family felt the investigation was really that shoddy and unprofessional, they could have filed a complaint with the law enforcement review board but afaik, they failed to do so.

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/clerb/

JMO

It will be interesting to see what the sales stats show. That should give a clue as to how many are interested in one or the other cases outlined. Most would probably read the entire book as both cases are interesting.

I also wonder was overseas sales will be just to know how much foreign interest if any there is in these high profile cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne