GUILTY CO - Five people killed in robbery, arson at Fero's, Denver, 17 Oct 2012

I hope there were some video cameras in the area.

This has been a strange month for my city, but when I was a drinker some 6 years ago, I hit this bar's happy hour every weekday. It's next door to my office building. Cops and news trucks are still out there. Anyway, it was always a little seedy, but there was always some hush-hush gambling sessions (poker, etc.) and other odd stuff going on. Owner is Korean, IIRC, and there are gangs in the area. Waiting for more info.

There is a bank building across the street, and a new, fancy apartment building on the other side. Both have possible security cameras with a view of the bar. Depending on how well images can be magnified and analyzed. Sounds like a quick gang hit/robbery.

This has been a strange month for my city, but when I was a drinker some 6 years ago, I hit this bar's happy hour every weekday. It's next door to my office building. Cops and news trucks are still out there. Anyway, it was always a little seedy, but there was always some hush-hush gambling sessions (poker, etc.) and other odd stuff going on. Owner is Korean, IIRC, and there are gangs in the area. Waiting for more info.

Yep, that's how I remember it. I've eaten there a few times, waaay back. I wasn't a drinker, so I never was there for happy hour.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/18/denver-bar-fire-arrests/1640921/

The suspects are Joseph Hill, 27, and his brother, Lynell Hill, 24, and Dexter Lewis, 22. They were all arrested in Denver.

Did they leave a road map? I am amazed at how quickly that made arrests.

I was just getting ready to post about the arrests. I wonder if the bar had a security camera that wasn't damaged in the fire? I will link another story here about the arrests.

I believe in the article that Dexter Lewis's mom says he's not guilty.

The motive was robbery, according to the report.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/3-arrested-in-feros-bar-and-grill-fire-and-homicides

DENVER - Denver Police have arrested three men in the deaths of five people at Fero's Bar and Grill in Denver on Wednesday morning. Investigators said the motive for the homicides was robbery and the subsequent fire was set to cover up the killings.

~~~SNIP~~~

Public defenders representing Lewis made motions for access to the crime scene and to unseal police statements supported his arrest warrant. A judge denied both motions.

All three suspects are being held in jail without bond.
7NEWS reporter Amanda Kost spoke with Lewis's mother, Tammesa Jones, outside court.

"He didn't do it," the mother said. She added that Lewis is engaged and his fiancee is 7-months pregnant with their child.

~~~SNIP~~~

In May 2009, Lewis was arrested in Jefferson County on several counts of assault on a police officer, court records show.

He pleaded guilty to felony menacing involving a real or simulated weapon and prosecutors dismissed the other charges.

In a separate 2009 case, Lewis pleaded guilty to felony robbery.

Lewis was sentenced to a total of three years in state prison and was on parole when he was arrested in the Fero's killings, court records show.

Lewis's parole conditions required him to stay out of bars, not drink alcohol, not drive and attend sexual offender treatment. He was under the maximum level of parole supervision -- Intensive Supervised Parole -- which required him to have two in person contacts his parole officer each month, daily phone contact and take a weekly test for drug or alcohol use.

~~~SNIP~~~

My personal thoughts...I wonder what the sexual offender treatment was about. I didn't see in the article where he was charged with a sexual offense.

The article says that the fire had only been burning for 15-20 minutes. That was cutting it close for the perps to escape.

I'm glad that LE was able to apprehend these guys so quickly!

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers

Scary. I work within 2 blocks of that bar. So glad they caught the people who did that.

Scary. I work within 2 blocks of that bar. So glad they caught the people who did that.

I bet it is scary, working so close. I am thankful to LE for apprehending them so soon. Like I posted above, I wonder if there was a security camera that caught the suspects in the act.

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

I seem to recall security monitors behind the bar, but it is a hazy recollection at best.

January 2014:
Brothers Joseph Hill and Lynell Hill pled guilty to their parts in the massacre at Fero's Bar. As a part of their pleas, they will each testify against Dexter Lewis during his death penalty eligible capital murder trial. Joseph Hill is subsequently sentenced to 5 consecutive life sentences and Lynnell Hill is sentenced to 70 years.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...tencing-for-feros-bar-grill-quintuple-murders

August 27, 2015
After the second phase of sentencing, a Colorado jury spared the life of convicted mass murderer Dexter Lewis. He will be sentenced to life without the possibility of parole for the murder of 5 people. Of note, Joseph Hill violated his plea deal and refused to testify against Lewis at trial. He is now trying to withdraw his plea.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28713843/jury-deliberating-feros-bar-massacre-trial

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back