919 users online (138 members and 781 guests)  

Websleuths News

GA - Chatham Co., Human Remains in woods, Jan'05

Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-04-2013 at 04:09 AM. Reason: to add

Hunter Finds Body in Woods

01/24/05

Savannah-Chatham police are trying to identify what appears to be skeletal remains of a human body. A Savannah hunter stumbled across the remains about 6pm yesterday afternoon in some woods off Foundation Drive near Highway 80 in Garden City. Police say the body is in an advanced state of decomposition.

The hunter who found the remains, Edward James Williams, says they were in a shallow grave covered with a blanket.

"I came over to lay some raccoon traps and I went about 80 meters into the woods and I found a decomposed body. I believe it was a female," he said.

The body will be taken to the state crime lab for further examination.

link

Prayers for any family awaiting an answer, Lanie

I know this may be a stupid question, but decomposing would mean that it is pretty recent, right? Otherwise it would be skeletal remains. I am a little confused. I can check who may be missing in that area.

Correct - decomposing = recent, skeletal = long ago

The article said skeletal so they must have been there for awhile. Any missing persons listed for that area ?

Hmmm...I will modify the search for the past year for all females...I'll see what I come up with.

Allyson Romedy, 43, has been missing from the area since 2002.

Romedy, then 43, went missing from her Weisenbaker Place apartment on Feb. 28, 2002, according to Rincon police. Her daughter, then 10, was sleeping in their home when she disappeared, said Romedy's sister Jennifer Johnston.

Family members found the woman's car the next day in a nearby parking lot - but nothing else, Johnston said.

Police said they suspect foul play.

Johnston and her mother, Becki Becton, have spent the past two years helping police search for their lost family member. Almost every day they've driven to Effingham County from their Millen homes to seek answers.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

Was this body ever identified?

Does anyone know whether this body has been identified? I've checked the Savannah news and newspapers but haven't seen any information on this since the discovery was reported initially.

Thanks.....
    GeorgiaPeach

About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Since they say that the body was in an advanced state of decomposition, it seems that it would be too recent to be Allyson since she disappeared exactly three years ago, (unless she was kept alive for a while). I suppose that conditions could cause a slower decomposition but wouldn't there be strictly skeletal remains after 3 years? It said the remains were in a shallow grave covered with a blanket - doesn't seem like conditions enough to preserve a body for 3 years, imo.

Also, the hunter said that he believed it was a female. Did he make this determination by what he saw or is he relaying what he's heard from police? Either the body wasn't that badly decomposed that the hunter could clearly see that it was female, (indicating a more recent event), or it's odd that he would know that. Suspicious even.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    I suppose if he could have seen clothing that would indicate it was a female.

About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA
    True, I never thought of that. For some reason, hearing that the body was under a blanket, I assumed that the body was unclothed. I don't know why I assumed that. Weird. In any case, I guess we'd need more info.

This says it was mostly skeletal.

http://savannahnow.com/stories/012405/2746649.shtml
    Edward J. Williams was laying possum traps off Foundation Drive near the Garden City city limits around 6 p.m. when he stumbled onto what he called a shallow grave.

The decomposed body, which was mostly bones, was lying in the weeds, Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police spokesman Bucky Burnsed said.

Police gathered the remains and turned them over to the GBI to identify the body, Burnsed said. Police are unsure of the individual's gender, race or age.

"The body has been there awhile," Burnsed added.
    http://savannahnow.com/stories/012405/2746649.shtml

The case is not on Doe Network or Namus but I can't find anything about the body being identified either.

the UID is not listed on the state's unidentified remains webpage either:

http://gbi.georgia.gov/00/case/0,269...030338,00.html