1519 users online (302 members and 1217 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - Nicholas Salamone, 23, Greece, 21 Jan 2005

Police searching for missing man

www.10nbc.com
    January 24 2005

Police and emergency crews have been searching a wooded area in Greece since early Monday morning for a missing man. Nicholas Salamone, 23, may have disappeared somewhere between Island Cottage Road and Edgemere Drive. He was last seen late Friday night.

Police say Salamone was out with some friends when they began to argue. He apparently got out of a car, and then was going to call another friend to pick him up. He was last seen headed towards the wooded area on Island Cottage Road. No one has seen or heard from him since.

http://www.10nbc.com/news.asp?templ...&story_id=13777

Search for Hilton man fruitless after 4 days
    State, local agencies aid in intense rescue effort

Victoria E. Freile
    Staff writer
    January 26, 2005

GREECE Dozens of friends and family members of a missing 24-year-old Hilton man gathered Tuesday at the Char-Broil House on Island Cottage Road, taking turns searching the wind-swept woods nearby with police and rescue teams.

Nicholas Salamone of Hilton was last seen around 10:30 p.m. Friday near Schaller's Drive-In, 965 Edgemere Drive, said Greece police Lt. Stephen Wise. Salamone reportedly got out of a friend's car near the eatery and ran into the woods, Wise said.

The temperature Friday night dipped below zero, with winds up to 20 mph. The blustery weather continued through the weekend and, with bitter temperatures and winds gusting up to 38 mph, wind chills dropped to 30 or more below zero. More than 17 inches of snow fell by Monday night.

Salamone's parents reported him missing on Sunday evening.

Friends said Salamone had been arguing with four people in the car before he took off. Officers said they don't know what happened that caused Salamone to head into the woods where Island Cottage Road and Edgemere Drive intersect. Salamone had been drinking on Friday, but was not drunk, friends said.

Kristen O'Dell, 21, of Greece believes she was the last person to talk to Salamone on Friday. She said he called three times between 10:40 and 11:40 p.m.

"He called me from his cell phone and told me to come get him in the woods near Dewey (Avenue) and he said he was cold and had lost his shoe," she said. "The last time he called, he said he was starting to see the light and he'd call back in a few minutes. He never did."

O'Dell said she drove around Dewey Avenue on Friday night, looked for Salamone and tried to call him. But, when that failed, she said she thought another friend must have found him.

When family and friends realized that Salamone was missing on Sunday, a group searched the woods for him overnight.

About 50 people from a variety of police departments and search and rescue agencies, as well as Salamone's friends, combed a 6-square-mile wooded area near Schaller's on Monday and Tuesday.

"I pray every day for him," said Jamie O'Dell, 25, of Hilton, who's known Salamone for about 20 years. "I can't sleep or eat. I just hope he's safe."

On Tuesday, state troopers brought in a helicopter to help search. The other agencies looked for Salamone using all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, dogs, horses and foot patrols.

With more snow expected, Wise said he's not sure how the weather will affect the search.

"It almost feels surreal standing out here," said Nastacia Holt, 21, of Greece in the restaurant parking lot. "I'm really worried because there was so much snow between Friday and now."

Friends described Salamone as a generous man who enjoyed spending time with his friends. He liked to bowl and play video games. Salamone attended Hilton High School and was employed by DJK Contractors, based in Greece, where he framed houses.

"He was a loyal person with a great sense of humor," said Salamone's boss and friend, Don Kessler, of Greece, who helped to search. "I knew something was wrong when he didn't show up for work on Monday. That's not like him."

Salamone's parents, Russell and Georgia Salamone, were at the scene, but told police they did not want to talk with reporters. Pete Covella, 24, of Greece spent several hours in the woods with search teams on Tuesday looking for his friend.

"I still have hope for him, absolutely," Covella said. "If we don't find him out here, it's a good sign to me."

Courtney Oster, 20, of Greece said she wants to know what happened. "There are five people who know what really happened and one of them is missing. You just don't leave someone out in the woods when it's so cold and not call anyone."

Wise said officers do not have any reason to believe that foul play was involved.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...0303/1002/NEWS

Search Ended For Missing Man

1/26/2005 5:00 PM
    (WROC-TV)

The police search for a Hilton man is being scaled back.

24-year-old Nicholas Salamone has been missing since Friday and now police say weather conditions are too dangerous to continue the search.

For the past two days, friends and family members have been combing the woods near Lake Ontario in Greece, the last place Salamone was seen. Police say they have looked in all the places he could be and now it's time to end the organized search.

Greece Police Deputy Chief William Mackin says, "it's very frustrating sad wish we could bring some closure to this especially for the family everyone put heart and sole into this hoping to find the individual"

Police say they may go back into the woods once the snow clears they will continue to follow up on any leads

http://wroctv.com/news/story.asp?id=16550&r=l

Found deceased

Found deceased: http://www.nysfedsar.org/FedNews2005.html

On Saturday, April 9th, the search was resumed using the NYS DEC Forest Rangers, Federation SAR teams, and the NYSP helicopter. Late in the afternoon, a body was discovered in the water, just west of the channel, face down in cattails. The body was later identified as Salamone's.
    </STRONG>

Hoppy