995 users online (230 members and 765 guests)  

Websleuths News

Not Of This World

Thumbs up Catch the Orionid meteor shower this weekend

Star gazers will want to be looking upward this weekend: The Orionid meteor shower is one of the best meteor showers of the year and should not be missed.

According to NASA's website: "Earth will pass through a stream of debris from Halley's Comet, (the) source of the annual Orionid meteor shower. Forecasters expect 25 meteors per hour when the shower peaks on Oct. 21."

The best part of this cosmic display: No telescope required—but you may need an alarm clock. According to L.A.'s Griffith Observatory, the brightest displays will fall between 11 p.m. Saturday and 5:40 a.m. Sunday, Pacific time.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Getting ALL READY for the show kids??!??!!

I the nightsky!!

Hope everyone has a clear view!

southwest Indiana
    Just a few nights ago when I took the furkids out to potty about midnight I saw a shooting star in the southern sky, first one I've seen in decades. I won't say how many decades b/c I don't want my DW to start getting sympathy cards in the mail. :P
    Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well!
    Proud parent of 3 rescued schnauzers

Meteors should be visible in all parts of the sky, but if you trace their paths, they will all look like they are coming from a single point in the sky – the radiant point – and that’s in the northeast corner of the Orion constellation. Orion will be pretty high in the southeast sky, moving south as dawn approaches.

[diagram at link]
    KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up.
    Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

Me and DS got up at 3:30...we saw only two in about 20-25 minutes. Reset the alarm for 6:15 thinking we'd see more cuz the NASA site said early morning, before sunrise. We only saw one more...clear skies and Orion and triangle were VERY visible and close. We live in CT. I'm kinda disappointed
    Proud WS N-LIB

I LOVE Meteor Showers!!! thank you for reminding me of this one!!!

ETA: Oops... Looks like I missed the Big Show.... But maybe there will be more tonight!
    Last edited by IHAVENOCLUE; 10-21-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Oops

Upstate NY
    Okay. So. I've seen many a meteroid in my day, streaking ahead of that tail of theirs across the night sky.

High sky, way up there.

But has anyone seen one which seemed to hang stationary for a short time, so that one might mistake it for a light atop a tower one hadn't noticed before, in the distance?

One VERY low to the ground and, upon noticing it moving, one saw no tail at all, just a silver-white light blinking maybe once a second, and moving very, very fast at, oh, what seemed a very low height and an angle almost flat then arcing suddenly to, say, 30 degrees or so?

That's what I saw tonight. I had it measured to hit maybe a half-mile from me, it was so low. Then it disappeared behind a neighbor's tree, from which it never emerged.

Meteroid, right? If not for the Orionid shower I'd have pegged it as something very different. The rest is probably down to atmospherics.

We looked but only saw 1. But 1 is better than none I guess!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2