Catch the Orionid meteor shower this weekend

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Star gazers will want to be looking upward this weekend: The Orionid meteor shower is one of the best meteor showers of the year and should not be missed.

According to NASA's website: "Earth will pass through a stream of debris from Halley's Comet, (the) source of the annual Orionid meteor shower. Forecasters expect 25 meteors per hour when the shower peaks on Oct. 21."

The best part of this cosmic display: No telescope required—but you may need an alarm clock. According to L.A.'s Griffith Observatory, the brightest displays will fall between 11 p.m. Saturday and 5:40 a.m. Sunday, Pacific time.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/watch-orionids-meteor-showers-weekend-214213383.html

Getting ALL READY for the show kids??!??!!

WOOT WOOT!

I :heart: the nightsky!!

Hope everyone has a clear view!

:great:

Just a few nights ago when I took the furkids out to potty about midnight I saw a shooting star in the southern sky, first one I've seen in decades. I won't say how many decades b/c I don't want my DW to start getting sympathy cards in the mail. :p

Me and DS got up at 3:30...we saw only two in about 20-25 minutes. Reset the alarm for 6:15 thinking we'd see more cuz the NASA site said early morning, before sunrise. We only saw one more...clear skies and Orion and triangle were VERY visible and close. We live in CT. I'm kinda disappointed :(

:fireworks:
I LOVE Meteor Showers!!! thank you for reminding me of this one!!! :fireworks2:

ETA: Oops... Looks like I missed the Big Show.... But maybe there will be more tonight! :please:

Okay. So. I've seen many a meteroid in my day, streaking ahead of that tail of theirs across the night sky.

High sky, way up there.

But has anyone seen one which seemed to hang stationary for a short time, so that one might mistake it for a light atop a tower one hadn't noticed before, in the distance?

One VERY low to the ground and, upon noticing it moving, one saw no tail at all, just a silver-white light blinking maybe once a second, and moving very, very fast at, oh, what seemed a very low height and an angle almost flat then arcing suddenly to, say, 30 degrees or so?

That's what I saw tonight. I had it measured to hit maybe a half-mile from me, it was so low. Then it disappeared behind a neighbor's tree, from which it never emerged.

Meteroid, right? If not for the Orionid shower I'd have pegged it as something very different. The rest is probably down to atmospherics.

We looked but only saw 1. But 1 is better than none I guess! ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back