1087 users online (182 members and 905 guests)  

Websleuths News

21 students claim abuse

This story is rapidly developing. Parents have filed suit because it appears that the school has known about the abuse and has actively COVERED IT UP since 1999. The initial accuser is now 15 years old and confided to her parents regarding an incident that happened in middle school. At that time she and another student wrote a detailed account and gave it to a visiting psychologist. The school contacted the families and minimized the abuse saying that it was not sexual in nature. At that time the girl thought that the school told her parents the extent of the abuse. When the parents found out what really happened, they immediately went to the police. Within days, the number of accusers has now risen to 21.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/0126...r_sperlik.html

January 26, 2005 As many as 21 students have come forward with allegations of sexual abuse by a suburban music teacher. Police are interviewing the students, who may be victims or may have witnessed the alleged crimes. Robert Sperlik, 45, is charged in five cases involving five female students. On Wednesday, the first civil lawsuit was filed.

There are other allegations that some school district administrators were aware of the questionable behavior but allowed him to keep teaching. In 2001, a letter placed in Sperlik's personnel file ordered him to stop making physical contact with students. He was also told to conduct his lesson with no fewer than two students at a time. The following year, a source told ABC 7, Sperlik was told by letter, "do not put your hands on students at any time and whenever possible conduct music lessons with the classroom door open."

We're now up to 29 students.

When?

When are schools, churches, day care's and any place that works with kids going to start understanding that if they want to protect the kids or even themselves- that if there is a complaint, they must refer it for investigation! I thought it was federal law that schools were mandated to report any complaints of suspected abuse to child protection officials? Stupid, stupid, stupid officials, not to mention self- serving, cruel, and negligent
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    When are schools, churches, day care's and any place that works with kids going to start understanding that if they want to protect the kids or even themselves- that if there is a complaint, they must refer it for investigation! I thought it was federal law that schools were mandated to report any complaints of suspected abuse to child protection officials? Stupid, stupid, stupid officials, not to mention self- serving, cruel, and negligent
    If two young girls gave a letter to the school about a non-faculty member I'd bet faster than you can say bobs-your-uncle the proper authorities would have been called.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid officials" sums it up for me.

New Update

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...slocalwest-hed

Berwyn police on Thursday said they seized Polaroid photographs of bound female students and adult bondage videos from the home of a longtime band teacher accused of sexually abusing 16 pupils.

Police theorize Robert Sperlik Jr. was acting out scenes from the bondage videos when he is alleged to have taped and tied girls to chairs, gagged and touched them inappropriately inside six different school buildings between 1998 and 2003.

Sperlik, 45, has been in custody since he was arrested in mid-January and later charged with multiple counts of criminal sexual abuse and kidnapping involving five pupils. Prosecutors on Wednesday charged Sperlik with abusing 11 additional students.

All of the pupils were between 9 and 14 years old at the time of the alleged abuse, authorities said.

Marzullo said police also recovered two or three Polaroid photos of unidentified students who were bound, apparently inside District 100 schools. Marzullo said investigators have not yet located any of the students in the photos.

Sperlik, a districtwide band instructor, allegedly abused pupils inside Pershing, Irving, Emerson, Piper, Komensky and Hiawatha Schools, Marzullo said.

At a Thursday afternoon bond hearing on the new charges, prosecutors said Sperlik repeatedly taped an unidentified female pupil's arms, legs and abdomen to a chair between 1999 and 2001, and in at least one instance stuffed a rag into her mouth and covered it with tape.

I don't understand why none of these kids told their parents or siblings what was happening to them????

Jeana,
    What's crazy is two girls did wrote a letter to a visiting psychologist detailing what happened to them and the school buried the letter, didn't tell the parents, didn't report it to proper authorities and gave the teacher a mere slap on the wrist.

I think that what this teacher was so strange that the kids really didn't know what to make of it.

Creepy ...

things like this really make me sick to my stomach. I hope he fries.

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom
    Jeana,
    What's crazy is two girls did wrote a letter to a visiting psychologist detailing what happened to them and the school buried the letter, didn't tell the parents, didn't report it to proper authorities and gave the teacher a mere slap on the wrist.

I think that what this teacher was so strange that the kids really didn't know what to make of it.

Creepy ...

It sure is creepy!!!! I know my daughter and if anyone tried to duct tape her to anything, they better be wearing a cup!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    It sure is creepy!!!! I know my daughter and if anyone tried to duct tape her to anything, they better be wearing a cup!
    LOL! Knowing my dd that cup better be made of some super strong space-age polimer.

New Update

This has finally made the national news. CTV has an article on the front page.

http://www.lincolncourier.com/news/05/02/10/c.asp

Meanwhile, police say the investigation into what really happened in Sperlik's classrooms over a six-year period ending in 2003 is continuing and the number of alleged victims could grow. They have yet to identify two students in Polaroid pictures found in Sperlik's North Riverside home, partly because the girls have so much duct tape on their faces, police say.

Frank Marzullo, Berwyn's public safety director, said police found two reprimands in Sperlik's file from 2001 and 2002, warning him against "inappropriate touching" and reminding him to keep his door open while teaching.

Marzullo said none of the instances were reported to police or the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, as required by state law of school officials who suspect abuse. The state's attorney's office has subpoenaed records to see if the district violated state law, he said.

"A reasonable person would have seen the red flags and done something more about it," Marzullo said.
    Some band boosters and community members have questioned how abuse of such a wide scope could have continued unexposed for so long, but Marzullo said Sperlik took advantage of the fact that he often had as few as two or three students in a class.

"No children want to come forward against a teacher, a person in authority. ... It was a fun music class," Marzullo said. "He made it out be a game."

In addition to the photos of the students, police said they seized 30 to 40 adult bondage videos from Sperlik's home.