730 users online (105 members and 625 guests)  

Websleuths News

UK - Norman Race, 62, Hastings, East Sussex, 8 Aug 2012

Norman Hastings, 62, has been missing for over 2 months.

Renewed pleas to find missing man who disappeared in summer

Police have renewed their appeals for information to find 62-year-old Norman Race, who has been missing for more than two months.

He was last seen speaking to a friend on August 8, when he said he was ‘camping up north’.

Now police believe he may be in the Kent area and have asked Kent Police to make enquiries.

Mr Race, who was reported missing by his family on September 4, is 5ft 7ins tall, slim, with blue eyes, short hair and usually has a beard.

He lives alone in George Street in the Old Town, works in the building trade on a self-employed basis, and enjoys cycling. His cycle, which is also missing, usually has a small trailer attached.

Inspector Paul Phelps said: “Mr Race could be anyway in the region or even the country due to his love of cycling. He does often cycle long distances and lives an independent life.

“He is classified as low risk and although he isn’t deemed to be a danger to himself or others, his disappearance is causing lots of heartache and concern to his family.

“We are still keen to find him just to ensure that he is safe and well. Anyone who has any information as to where he might be, and Mr Race himself, are asked to contact Sussex Police on 101 quoting serial 1740 of 4/9.”
    http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ne...mmer-1-4392356

Here is another photo of him on the Sussex Police website:

http://www.sussex.police.uk/news-and...-hastings-man/

Quote Originally Posted by Elainera View Post
    Norman Hastings, 62, has been missing for over 2 months.

http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ne...mmer-1-4392356

Here is another photo of him on the Sussex Police website:

http://www.sussex.police.uk/news-and...-hastings-man/
    Being about the same age I can understand his love for his cycling, but as the nights are getting colder now he must be getting shelter somewhere, did he take a lot of clothes,his bank cards, has his cash points been used recently?..
    "Everything must be taken into account. If the fact will not fit the theory-let the theory go..

Agatha Christie

Watched BBC South news tonight, and it said that maybe he was heading up north, on a 'pushbike'?, and that the police have NOT checked his bank accounts to see if any money has been withdrawn!! WHY?????????
    "Everything must be taken into account. If the fact will not fit the theory-let the theory go..

Agatha Christie

Sister appeals for missing Norman Race to get in touch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20090805

25 October 2012 Last updated at 19:10 ET

The sister of a missing man from East Sussex has urged him to call his family to say that he is safe.

I wonder why police originally thought he may be in Kent when he said he was camping up north? Does he have friends or family in Kent? Visited before? Planning to leave the country?

I live in west Kent about 50 mins from Hastings. I'll post his pic on my facebook and keep my eyes peeled.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem2626 View Post
    I wonder why police originally thought he may be in Kent when he said he was camping up north? Does he have friends or family in Kent? Visited before? Planning to leave the country?

I live in west Kent about 50 mins from Hastings. I'll post his pic on my facebook and keep my eyes peeled.
    I live in west kent too. I will keep my eyes peeled as well.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
    Albert Einstein
    :

If the police isn't doing much maybe people who are local can help the family spread the word, maybe help to set up a fb page or contact local newspapers or something. Maybe call the sister to offer to help.

ETA: if the sister could join this forum and give us more info that would also help a lot.

I work all over the south east (although am off for a week now) so can keep an eye out. If the windows in my car weren't so dark I could pop a poster in as I park in around 15 different places a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Elainera View Post
    If the police isn't doing much maybe people who are local can help the family spread the word, maybe help to set up a fb page or contact local newspapers or something. Maybe call the sister to offer to help.

ETA: if the sister could join this forum and give us more info that would also help a lot.
    Keeping this on the front page would help..

PS nice to find some people from 'the garden of England'

Agatha Christie

New Forest body could be missing Old Towner

A BODY found in the New Forest is believed to be that of Old Town resident Norman Race who vanished last summer.

[snip]

Sussex Police spokeswoman, Jennifer Nuttall said: “The body of a man found in woods near Winchester on Tuesday 15 January, is believed to be that of Norman Race. His sister has been informed accordingly. However formal identification may take some weeks. Hamsphire Constabulary are not treating the death as suspicious and the Hampshire Coroners Officer is dealing with the identification, in liaison with Sussex Police.”

More: http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ne...wner-1-4789159

Family and friends turn out to pay last respects to Norman

SCORES of family and friends paid their last respects at the funeral of well-loved Old Town resident Norman Race on Friday (April 19).

[snip]

Formal identification took several weeks before a DNA match was made late last month.

More: http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ne...rman-1-5039829

Quote Originally Posted by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed View Post
    Family and friends turn out to pay last respects to Norman

SCORES of family and friends paid their last respects at the funeral of well-loved Old Town resident Norman Race on Friday (April 19).

[snip]

Formal identification took several weeks before a DNA match was made late last month.

More: http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ne...rman-1-5039829
    Thanks for updating this. Sounds like he got a beautiful send off! I'm glad he was found, and family and friends have closure.

It doesn't say how he died but it must have been some months before they found the body since they had to do DNA testing. An accident perhaps, or heart attack or something?

RIP Norman!