Woman claims to have been raised in jungle by Capuchin monkeys after kidnap at age 5

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Er.....pardon me??

Bradford housewife claims she spent five years being raised by monkeys in the Colombian jungle after she was kidnapped (Sunday Mail)
A Bradford housewife has claimed she spent five years as a child being raised by monkeys in the Colombian jungle.

Marina Chapman said she was kidnapped for ransom in the 1950s when she was just five years old and abandoned in the jungle, with her captors believed to have botched the abduction.

For five years, she lived a Tarzan-style existence with a colony of Capuchin monkeys - learning to catch prey, including birds and rabbits, with nothing but her bare hands.

She escaped and was taken in by a Colombian family as a teenager, choosing the name Marina Luz.
---
[She and her husband] have two children and live in Yorkshire. Chapman, who says she never cries, only told her husband, a former church organist and bacteriologist, about her bizarre claims after they were married.
---
Monkeys are known for accepting humans into the fold, according to experts on feral children.
---
much more, with pictures, at link above

Hard times, she's got a book to sell, lol. I might claim I'd been raised from birth by Yeti snow-gods in the Himalayas if I were writing a book.

I'm trying to figure if her proposition is do-able and - nah, don't think so. True, she would have, one would think, acquired language skills by age five. The linguist Noam Chomsky's research indicates that if a child has not acquired those skills by age seven, he or she will never speak; but I'm not sure whether life in the jungle with the Capuchin colony would *advertiser censored* them sufficiently so that, after her return, she would be unable to use them. One suspects so, though perhaps not entirely so.

Though I don't believe her, I support her; the world needs its fabulists.

In the comments:

"I think she was very wise to have held back on her story until after the wedding...... I should know after all I was raised by hedgehogs on the hard-shoulder of the m6 in Staffordshire." - Meresyside-Dave, Liverpool, 21/10/2012 18:32........... :) :) Would that be the Hells Hedgehogs MCC, Staffordshire Branch, Dave? "Born to be Wild"? You were lucky, those hedgehogs are hard as nails and they have the best bikes.

Capuchin monkeys are kinda tiny... 12-20 inches or so. They must have felt like raising the Yeti.

Maybe she can get together with Forest Boy and they can regale each other with their wacky stories. :what:

She escaped from tiny monkeys as a teen?

No, not from the monkeys. There is an unmarked ellipsis in the quote and the the original article says:

Chapman's life in the jungle was said to have ended when she was discovered by hunters and sold to a brothel in the northern city of Cucuta, where she was regularly beaten.

She escaped and was taken in by a Colombian family as a teenager, choosing the name Marina Luz.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Colombian-jungle-kidnapped.html#ixzz2ACatFXKB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I did a double take when I saw this thread - initially read it as "woman claims to have been raised by Capuchin MONKS" :floorlaugh:

I wonder if she'll invite her monkey family to the book signings?

I'm just gonna say that I am gonna gamble that her parents are not in agreement with this story. And yes, very good idea to wait till after her marriage to tell her husband about it. Wonder why she did that?

I'm just gonna say that I am gonna gamble that her parents are not in agreement with this story. And yes, very good idea to wait till after her marriage to tell her husband about it. Wonder why she did that?

I would say it was good she did not tell her husband about this until after they were married. I would not have told my husband about all that monkey-ing arround either. :blushing:

That's one of the better tabloid headlines that one is likely to find.

this story reminds me of the years I spent living with a band of unicorns. They use to let me peel oranges using their horns and we'd laugh and laugh... :facepalm:

I know I know, its funny stuff. This lady may have a need for attention and her story may or may not be hooey, but I do believe this kind of thing historically HAS happened.

Maybe not to her but to some few others throughout history. And the idea that children are "raised" by animals is a mistaken romanticized idea. In those instances where these stories have been validated, the children are tolerated by the animals around them, sometimes shown or are able to discern for themselves what foods to eat and pick up their cues from the wildlife around them.

I have been watching this series on Discovery Networks about the topic and I believe the case of the monkey boy of Uganda to be absolutely true.

It was very interesting.

[video=youtube;a3BGC-QSkCg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3BGC-QSkCg[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74