GUILTY OR - Kaelin Glazier, 15, Ruch, 6 November 1996

carolina

Reaction score
last night when i was flipping around tv i stopped on "without a trace" right when kaelin's poster came up during the commercial. kaelin's disappearance has bothered me since i first learned about it and i have read everything i could find since then. what strikes me as so sad is the lack of hope that she is alive. i hope they are proven wrong!

here is a pretty good sumamry of the case:

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/99/jan99/11999n1.htm
Teen was last to see Ruch girl
By JIM DAVIS

RUCH -- Police named a "person of interest" for the first time Monday in the case of a teenage girl who disappeared more than two years ago.

Billy Frank Simmons, 18, of Ruch, was the last known person to see Kaelin Glazier before she disappeared, and he has become the focus for the investigation, said Jackson County Sheriff's Lt. Dewey Patten.

"We think that there is more he could tell us that he hasn't told us," Patten said.

By naming Simmons, Patten said, investigators hope to jar loose some information on the case, which he said had become "stagnant."

Simmons, however, said he has answered investigators' questions over and over, and he said the investigation has become unfair.

"They've been hounding me on this for two years now," Simmons said. "I had nothing to do with it."

Kaelin Rose Glazier vanished on Nov. 6, 1996, after visiting Simmons at his grandparents' home at 100 Johnson Road in Ruch. Kaelin was 15 at the time and a sophomore at South Medford High School.

At first, Jackson County sheriff's deputies thought she might be a runaway.

But over time, deputies took the case more seriously, handing it over to sheriff's detectives and calling in the Jackson County Major Assault and Death Investigation unit.

During the past two years, police have made more than 460 contacts and interviews trying to find Kaelin, without success. Several fruitless searches were conducted in the area where she disappeared.

"The feeling is that she is the victim of foul play," Patten said. "Everybody has accepted that she is probably not alive."

In November, FBI Special Agent Shauna Carroll joined the investigation.

Patten said that Simmons has always been a "person of interest" because he was the last known person to see Kaelin.

Police issued a news release Monday asking for any information about Simmons or his mother, Barbara Simmons.

They're also looking for a car formerly owned by Barbara Simmons -- a gold 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass with Oregon license QEC 803. Patten said the car may hold evidence in the case, but it has been sold and police are trying to track it down.

On Monday afternoon, Simmons talked about the case at the home he shares with his mother in Ruch.

Simmons said he expected the sheriff's office to identify him because detectives have been subpoenaing all of his friends for a grand jury hearing in early February.

He said he had known Kaelin for about two years when she disappeared. She lived near his grandparents' home -- where he lived at the time -- and came over often.

"She came up every Wednesday night, just to hang out and smoke cigarettes," Simmons said. "She talked about school and her boyfriend."

On the night she disappeared, Simmons said he and Kaelin watched the movie "Heat."

He said another friend came over, visited and left. Kaelin left about 10 minutes after he did.

Simmons, who was a classmate of Kaelin's at South Medford High School before he dropped out, said Kaelin was a "goody-goody" person who wouldn't have run away from home.

"I think somebody abducted her," Simmons said. "She wasn't the type of person to run away."

He said police have targeted him because they don't have anywhere else to turn.

"They're just not smart enough to go anywhere else and find other leads," Simmons said.

Simmons said police are keeping tabs on him -- and he speculated they could be following him or tapping his phone.

He said detectives knew when he and some friends drank beer along a river recently.

"They know my whole life, they know my mom's whole life," Simmons said. "They know my friends' whole lives."

Simmons said he thinks police believe his mom's an accomplice.

"They've never told me that they would charge me," Simmons said. "The FBI lady -- she said that the federal penalty was 50 years and I would get that if I didn't admit it.

"Myself, I think they're a bunch of a-------."

He said police have spoken with him "probably over the past two years 100 times." He said he never asked that a lawyer be present because he said he didn't think he needed one.

"They keep asking me the same questions over and over," Simmons said. "Did I kill? Do I know where her body is?"

Patten said that was an exaggeration -- that police have spoken with Simmons about a dozen times.

He said investigators will use any avenue available to find Kaelin -- including naming Simmons.

Kimberly Cruz, Kaelin's mom, said she didn't want to talk about Monday's announcement.

"I don't want to mess up whatever their (the police) efforts are," Cruz said.

She said that handling her daughter's disappearance is not getting easier -- although she understands her daughter may be a victim of foul play.

"I have to assume that there is always a good chance that something happened to her," Cruz said. "I have always assumed that."

Anyone with any information on Kaelin's disappearance is asked to contact Crawford at 774-6815.

here is another link with different pictures of kaelin:

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/glazier.html

and here is an interview with her mom:

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2000/december/122500n2.htm

This case sounds very similar to that of Kim Mileo, missing since 9 June 1983, from Croom, Maryland. Her boyfriend became the center of the investigation, and "a person of interest" early on. Unfortunately, without a body, and with hired lawyers objecting to police questions, the case has yet to be solved.

Glazier was last seen walking on Upper Applegate Road in Ruch, Oregon on November 6, 1996. She had left her home headed for a church meeting at Applegate Christian Fellowship on Highway 238. She never arrived at the church and has not been seen again. Glazier carried a black and green backpack at the time of her disappearance. She left behind all her possessions at her home, which is located in the 100 block of Upper Applegate Road.

Authorities learned that Glazier visited her friend, William Frank Simmons (nicknamed "Bill" or "Billy"), at Simmons's grandparents' residence on Johnson Road in Ruch earlier in the day. Simmons is believed to have been the last person to have seen Glazier. Investigators named him as a 'person of interest' in her disappearance in 1999, but have not charged Simmons or anyone else in connection with Glazier's case. He moved out of the area after her disappearance. He was a teenager in 1996 and a classmate of Glazier's.
Simmons told authorities that Glazier often stopped by to talk with him about her boyfriend and smoke cigarettes. He said he and Glazier had been friends for approximately two years in 1996, and he was also a friend of her boyfriend. According to Simmons, Glazier watched a video of the film Heat at his grandparents' house the night she disappeared. He said that she departed approximately ten minutes after another friend left the residence. Simmons has maintained his innocence in Glazier's case and stated that he felt law enforcement officials were focusing on him due to a lack of evidence in her case. He has not been charged with any wrongdoing in connection with Glazier's disappearance, but he was charged with identity theft in connection with an unrelated incident in 2004.

Authorities said that they were interested in locating Simmons's mother's former vehicle, a 1987 gold Oldsmobile Cutlass with Oregon license plates QEC-803. Officials made the announcement in 1999, three years after Glazier vanished. Investigators stated that they believed there was potential evidence inside the car related to Glazier's case. It was sold after her disappearance.

During a four- to five-month period after Glazier's disappearance, her grandparents received approximately 70 hang-up phone calls. Their Caller ID was unable to trace the number and they could only determine that the calls were from out of the area. The calls tended to come on special days, such as holidays and Glazier's birthday. It is not known if they are connected to Glazier's case.

Glazier enjoyed music and art at the time she disappeared. She was born in Ashland, Oregon. and was a sophomore at South Medford High School at the time of her disappearance, one of six children. Foul play is suspected in her disappearance, which remains unsolved.

glazier_kaelin.jpg
glazier_kaelin_ap.jpg

Missing Since: November 6, 1996 from Ruch, Oregon
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: May 1, 1981
Height and Weight: 5'6, 110 - 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Glazier has a small scar beneath her chin. Her ears are pierced.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A long-sleeved light green or olive green sweater over a short-sleeved gray t-shirt with an emblem on it, tan corduroy pants or blue jeans, light-colored Nike or Keds tennis shoes, two hair clips, a necklace, and silver hoop earrings.

Details of Disappearance

Glazier was last seen walking on Upper Applegate Road in Ruch, Oregon on November 6, 1996. She had left her home headed for a church meeting at Applegate Christian Fellowship on Highway 238. She never arrived at the church and has not been seen again. Glazier carried a black and green backpack at the time of her disappearance. She left behind all her possessions at her home, which is located in the 100 block of Upper Applegate Road.

Authorities learned that Glazier visited her friend, William Frank Simmons (nicknamed "Bill" or "Billy"), at Simmons's grandparents' residence on Johnson Road in Ruch earlier in the day. Simmons is believed to have been the last person to have seen Glazier. Investigators named him as a 'person of interest' in her disappearance in 1999, but have not charged Simmons or anyone else in connection with Glazier's case. He moved out of the area after her disappearance. He was a teenager in 1996 and a classmate of Glazier's.

Simmons told authorities that Glazier often stopped by to talk with him about her boyfriend and smoke cigarettes. He said he and Glazier had been friends for approximately two years in 1996, and he was also a friend of her boyfriend. According to Simmons, Glazier watched a video of the film Heat at his grandparents' house the night she disappeared. He said that she departed approximately ten minutes after another friend left the residence. Simmons has maintained his innocence in Glazier's case and stated that he felt law enforcement officials were focusing on him due to a lack of evidence in her case. He has not been charged with any wrongdoing in connection with Glazier's disappearance, but he was charged with identity theft in connection with an unrelated incident in 2004.

Authorities said that they were interested in locating Simmons's mother's former vehicle, a 1987 gold Oldsmobile Cutlass with Oregon license plates QEC-803. Officials made the announcement in 1999, three years after Glazier vanished. Investigators stated that they believed there was potential evidence inside the car related to Glazier's case. It was sold after her disappearance.

During a four- to five-month period after Glazier's disappearance, her grandparents received approximately 70 hang-up phone calls. Their Caller ID was unable to trace the number and they could only determine that the calls were from out of the area. The calls tended to come on special days, such as holidays and Glazier's birthday. It is not known if they are connected to Glazier's case.

Glazier enjoyed music and art at the time she disappeared. She was born in Ashland, Oregon. and was a sophomore at South Medford High School at the time of her disappearance, one of six children. Foul play is suspected in her disappearance, which remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Jackson County Sheriff's Office
541-774-6800
OR
Federal Bureau Of Investigation
Medford, Oregon Office

541-773-2942

There are several threads about Kaelin's disappearance here but none of them had been updated with this development:

"Remains Found Of Ruch Girl Missing For Twelve Years"

Quote from the article:
Officials have found the remains of a fifteen-year-old Ruch girl, twelve years after her disappearance. Kaelin Rose Glazier disappeared in Ruch in 1996.

Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters confirmed today that Glazier's remains were found in Ruch on Tuesday.

The investigation led District Medical Examiner James Olson to determine that Glazier died from "homicidal violence."

http://www.localnewscomesfirst.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1921&Itemid=2

(4/11/08) Officials have found the remains of a fifteen-year-old Ruch girl, twelve years after her disappearance. Kaelin Rose Glazier disappeared in Ruch in 1996.
Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters confirmed today that Glazier's remains were found in Ruch on Tuesday.
The investigation led District Medical Examiner James Olson to determine that Glazier died from "homicidal violence."

more at link

So sad. Not the best ending but at least the family can get some closure.

This is one of those cases where when the resolve like this, I say sigh the "s" word... such a beautiful girl... and I hope they find who is responsible (I think they know)

Crap - another beautiful girl whose life ended at the hands of a sick, loser . RIP Kaelin.:furious:

There are a few things that bother me about this case:
1) why couldn't they pull the VIN number of the car of Barbara Simmons and track it that way? Maybe this predates some of LE databases, maybe they junked it?
2)Who is the male friend that was over at the house that allegedly left before Kaelin? Has he been questioned, car searched, etc.. What is the status of the friendship currently?
3)This girl was found on the 8th, they have grand jury testimony already on this case and now her remains and they have not gotten so much as a search warrant for this property- regretfully short of a confession or a tie to the "friend" the chances of an arrest in this case are slim. That knowledge is turning my stomach this morning; hope I am wrong-
4)Who confirmed seeing her walking to the church? Perhaps she never left

Article on HUff's site today, not sure if I am allowed to post the link

Lastly- and everyone that is reading this I'm sure has already thought this-
DO NOT allow your 15 year old daughter to hang out at the neighbors with an 18 year old drop out, under any circumstances. As I said, I assume we all know this, but if you know of someone that may not, please find a way to work this little girl's story into your conversation. This was preventable.

This case is local for me. Kaelin has been missing for almost 14 years. Simmons has been a POI for 11 years. Kaelin's remains were found two years ago today. I just can't figure out why it's taken so long to get this man behind bars. This family desperately needs some closure.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100408/NEWS07/4080333

Man charged in Kaelin Glazier murder

"A man suspected for more than a decade in the November 1996 disappearance of 15-year-old Kaelin Rose Glazier has been charged with her murder.

William Frank Simmons, 30, was indicted Wednesday and arrested in Grants Pass, Jackson County [OR] District Attorney Mark Huddleston said.

Thirty-six witnesses presented evidence in front of a grand jury, either personally or by report on March 31 and Wednesday. Simmons is set to be arraigned on the indictment at 1:30 p.m. Friday in Jackson County Circuit Court...."

more at link

Does Oregon automatically charge a juvenile at the time of the crime as an adult for murder? Just curious because I didn't see this addressed. I hope my math is right!

ETA: BTW, I'm just curious. I know most juveniles are charged as adults for murder and I don't have a problem with it most of the time. I was just wondering why they hadn't mentioned it in the article.

I was thrilled to see this today.
Finally, Kaelin's family can have justice
and so can this valley.

well in massachusetts when they busted skakel for martha moxley's murder in 1975, they put him in juvy court first (though e was 40 by then at least). dont know what the situation in oregon is.

Does Oregon automatically charge a juvenile at the time of the crime as an adult for murder? Just curious because I didn't see this addressed. I hope my math is right!

ETA: BTW, I'm just curious. I know most juveniles are charged as adults for murder and I don't have a problem with it most of the time. I was just wondering why they hadn't mentioned it in the article.

Yes, if they are over the age of 15 years old. Measure 11!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back